spawning largemouth bass - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:13 PM

Default spawning largemouth bass

What do you guys think about spawning bass? Do you think it is "un-sportsman like" to take them off there bed? Or do you think it is fair game. I personally think it is fine to take the 6lbs female off her bed during the spawn, as long as you return her back to the water. Even if you dont i think nature will recover from its loss and something will step up and gaurd the eggs. I know this is a contreversial topic, and i dont wanna get anyone mad just wanna hear what you think[/code]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2005, 10:45 PM

We used to get itrritated at the guys workin the beds but hey. they got mad at us for using shiners. to each his own. Thats why the season doesnt open till June 14th . Post spawn.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:39 PM
Veteran Elite

I say go for it....but don't keep the females...Return them and nature is happy. Prespawn and spawn fishing can be a blast, but its the fools that take a big fat prego female just to mount it on the wall that give the rest of us a bad name.....I prefer smallies, and they end up spawning just as the big Stripers come into Chesapeake so I typically don't get onto them LOL Oh well, I have more fun with the stripers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2005, 08:55 PM

I would never think of taking a bass...spawn or no spawn
I just bring a camera, let her go...
Old 03-25-2005, 08:57 PM

Same here Dan
Old 05-05-2005, 10:16 PM

I'm with Boston on this one, the last limit of bass I kept was when I was ten and they were the first bass I had ever seen so you know how that goes. They came from a clear colorado lake and our family of seven made good use of them that night (they were tasty out of clear, cold water). Now, I have no desire to keep one. Even when I caught my biggest at 26 1/4" & 13-16lbs, all I could think of was getting her swimming back in the water from whence she came. It is interesting how as you get older, cooler heads prevail. Glad I have pictures of alot of nice fish I released and I wish I had pictures of some of the ones I kept when I was younger. The one that hurts the most is the 37" brown trout I caught and released back in Colorado. I was about 18 then and caught her in a deep, dark pool in the depths of the Black Canyon on the Gunnison River. Best guess on weight is 25 pounds or better. It was ninety degrees in the canyon that day and we had a 2200 vertical climb to get out of there and I knew she would spoil before I ever got her home......so It made the decision easier than I ever thought it would be. I still don't regret the decision, I just wish I'd owned a scale and a camera that day. PS: Those big fish are still down in that gorge even though there is more pressure on it these days. Alot of people fishing for trout..........Nobody fishing for BIG trout. Going back one of these summers. :)
Old 05-06-2005, 10:01 AM

Finally, a fish that I've got some real knowledge of (40 years worth). I agree with all who say throw them all back. Living on a 100-acre pond, catching about 500-700 LMB every year for 25 years, my pond would have been fished out long time ago. I did keep one bass many years ago, a 7 pounder that I had mounted. These days, I would have taken it's picture and dimensions and had a fiberglass done. I've read that it's recommended as part of pond management that you should remove a % of the smaller fish every year to insure a diverse weight population. I know this to be true, that's why I'm a proponent of Maines slot limit for stripers. However, I still throw all LMB back. And, while I do catch a lot of small fish, every year I land at least one 5 pounder (with a 4 pounder already this year).

Myself, I no longer cast to spawning LMB. I have seen spawning/bedded fish spew their eggs as a result of what I feel was the stress of the fight. The percentage of fish who do spew is low, probably lower than that the percentage of hooked spawning bass that die as a result of being gut-hooked or from infection. I think part of the issue is that it's virtually impossible to regulate this sanction in tournaments. While I think the notoriety of tournament Bass organizations have led the way in catch and release of LMB, they struggle with this issue. Since I no longer fish tournaments, I don't do it.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:11 AM

We Bass (large & small mouth) fish heavy in the up state NY lakes. Every fish is released :D . It's my goal to preserve the numbers. I may be one guy, (I know there's others). Every little bit helps. So based on this, I say I go for it.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:35 PM

Why take a largemouth? nature does not help recover as easily as you may think. You are not talking about the ocean you are talking about a pond, lake, stream. throw it back let someone else catch it another day. The season starts after the spawn for a reason.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:01 PM

The vast majority of States have open seasons on LMB. NJ, is one that does have a season which opens on June 15th (as I recall). However, this year spring is late and water temps, which dictate spawning, probably won't be condusive (64 +/- 4?F) to spawning until late June. The same thing happened in NJ in 2003.

In Mass., where I fish LMB, the season is open 12 months a year. The only regs in Mass are a limit of 5 with a 12" minimum (besides a $27.50 license).

So for the most part, it's left to the angler to decide whether to pursue spawning LMB.

Believe me when I say this is a very controvercial topic. What I think is interesting is that no one is getting flamed for their responses. I don't know whether it's because this is predominantly a striper forum or because the people on this forum are more tolerant. Try posting this question on a predominantly LMB forum and you'll get flamed just for posting the question.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:53 PM

Good info Tony, I totally agree with you and the others. :)

I am a catch.picture.release guy i will hardly ever keep a fish unless it is world record material
Old 05-10-2005, 06:41 PM

I was reading a really good article, and the author made a very good point...
He said that he can understand catch and release during the spawn, but when a fish is held in a livewell for a whole day or if the fish is killed it enrages him...
and, I would agree...I can understand if you catch one and let it go...but when you haul it around for a whole day in a livewell, thats not right...

Also, I see in every Bass magazine, they are always teaching people to catch big spawning bass...I don't think thats right, I don't think most people understand the responsibility they have to return that bass...
Old 05-10-2005, 06:54 PM

Good point Dan! we should somehow write our own article and teach people the good stuff

Thanks
Old 05-11-2005, 09:16 AM

Yeah Dan, as I mentioned earlier, catching bedded females is really dictated by tournament practices, as are most trends in LMB fishing. You can watch the FLW and Bassmaster tours on TV every week. You see Pros target spawning fish because of their weight. So routinely there are "how to" articles in Bassmaster and fishing shows on TV that cater to this practice. Bass fishing is so popular because they inhabit every state, except Alaska, and they put up a pretty good fight/show. All told, it's big buisness these days.

Several months ago, Ray Scott (Bassmaster founder) was being interviewed on TV. He was saying that in the early days of Bassmaster, they were a floundering organization, ready to belly-up. Someone came up with the idea of offering a lifetime membership to Bassmaster, entitling you to get the magazine, basically forever, for a one-time fee of $50. It was a great deal and I'm still getting my copy of Bassmaster, 30 years later. That promotion saved their collective butts and as such, really helped to launch the bass fishing epidemic we have today.

Years ago, I toyed with the idea of going Pro. So I did a few tournaments. Hated it. I found it to be really cut-throut. Fishing and watching tournaments, I often wondered how the egg laden female makes out with her spawn when they're released miles from their bed.