Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2009 Hudson River Striper Photos

26K views 91 replies 34 participants last post by  roddenreels 
#1 ·
#28 ·
Had a good day yesterday fishing cut herring in the lower Hudson and picked up a few small 6-12 pounders and then just at the end of the falling tide this gal shows up. She weighs 19.5 pounds and 34" long. What fun! This can be very addictive can't it, and you are all to blame. I do not know how to thank you all for sharing your voluminous knowledge and skills to help so many like myself, discover what it means to fish for this magnificent,powerful, beautiful creature. She as well as all the others were lip hooked and released unharmed (thank you for the circle hook info.) Y'all are the greatest!!! So if a rookie like me can find them they're heeeeere!

Tight lines

Attachments

#35 ·
Re: Pulled a lephturn all-nighter

Tight Lines :gob_icon_cheers::gob_icon_cheers::gob_icon_cheers::gob_icon_cheers::gob_icon_cheers::gob_icon_cheers::gob_icon_cheers:
:smiliegrd::smiliegrd::smiliegrd::smiliegrd::smiliegrd::smiliegrd:
YEEHAW!

Attachments

#38 ·
We managed to put 3 more in the boat today (1 each) and keeping the skunk off my back too thumbsup.gif

Again all on live while drifting , they seemed a little deeper today.

I missed out on TKstripers pic but he got a solid 13-15lber not 5 minutes into the day.

Tk's brother (the boat captain) with a nice one ...

... and i managed to get another tagged fish, back to back days in the same spot , how wild is that ??? the numbers on the tags are approx 1,000 apart.

36" / 19lb 12oz

So again , a kind of slow day, but can't think of any place else i would rather have been !!!! thumbsup.gif

BB

#40 ·
Went out with the wife and son today and finally caught our first stripers.....ever.....well atleast the wife and son did. I am still looking for mine. Wifes was 30" 11lbs and my sons was 37" and 17 lbs. My son was so excited.....great times. Both caught in about 15ft of water live herring and on circle hooks. Both released. I'm a patient person.....mine is coming....LOL.

Attachments

#42 ·
39" 20lbs 13oz

Also had two other runs and one hookup on the shallow chunk, but the fish ran over to the channel and snagged my buddy on something on the bottom.

5/2

One tagged fish 27", two cookie cutter 33"ers.

Dropped BB off at noon, went back out for one more drift, ended up with one more about 33", right at the end of our last drift, my father hooked something that was really taking line out on a hot run but the broke his line:dizzy: ouch!

5/3

Took my buddy scotty out for a short trip.
Finally Scotty caught one, 35" 16lb 3oz

We called it a day at that point, Scottys girlfriend was giving him a bunch of shit for fishing on her day off:SNEMOTICON8:

#43 ·
We started off doing a shake down cruise with my good friends Bassin Brian, Reelin Jeff, and Ronny the "Opa" on May 1st to try out the new Baha cruiser. We ended up boating 5 fish with 2 throwbacks. Chunk bait seemed to be the bait method of choice for 4/5 of the fish. Our best was 21lbs and came on live herring. all the fish were caught while anchored and were caught in different spots.

May 2nd was more of the same, fishing from anchor. The bite was a bit slower but we manage 4 bites and landed two fish with one throwback. 75 yr old Mike Puppolo did well.

May 3rd we got the bites but couldn't land the fish. We went 3/8, one on chunk and all the rest on live herring.

As I am booked every day till the end of may I will try to post every 3 days or so.
See you on the water.
Capt. Jimmy Samia

#44 ·
After a couple of unsuccessful trips last year, I talked my brother into coming out and trying again. Saturday morning bait came easy and we began drifting right away. On one of our early drifts, he hooked up and landed his first. He is already making plans to come out next weekend. We had quite a few more short runs throughout the day and one other hookup which came unbuttoned on my brother.

Attachments

#45 ·
I picked up two more on Sunday one a 17 pound and a 22 pound on the lower Hudson. I switched from herring to bunker tried both all day Sunday only got strikes on the bunker both were fresh and both fish were caught on bunker chunks. Looks like the bunker are in up my way as well catching them in gill nets in some quantity in the bays. Good luck everyone. I will be out again this weekend same area or a little north.

Tight lines

Attachments

#46 ·
Re: Night fishing

I'm with Finny , no good at night :whistle:

Oh well , maybe just this one ... our biggest all of 2008.

Going to be trying tomorrow night for the 1st time this season.

BB

#50 ·
After 3 days of nothing we slammed some really nice fish this morning :funky:

I got my mojo back , LOL !!!

A few avg ones but me and Kevin were very happy to see them !!

And a few slobs !!!! :a_goodjob:

Kevin's big one put up one hell of a fight too. She was strong and heavy !

I did something today that was not the normal. We all know bannanas are bad luck, but we were on a few bad days in a row, i figured hell with !!
I brought one and it reversed the curse :banana::banana:

Man i feel better now :bluegrin:

Thanks for looking

BB

#51 ·
It seems like more of the same game, namely fishing off of anchor and moving around as the tide changes. Note that several of my fishing buddies have been taking Stripers at drift. It can be to your advantage to cover water and look for active fish.As the water warms, we may find ourselves doing more of this, especially as the abilities and skill level of my clients increase. Some of these past days we have generated several bites but have been unable to seal the deal.

Here are some more pics.

Jesse and Ed are the sons of my good friend Chuck Boyles. Ed is going into boot camp soon. Wishing him well.

First timers Bill and Bob with a nice eating pair.

First timers John and Mike

Adams Outdoorsman for Youth raffle winner Jason Blanchard with his first!

Many thanks for the compliments on the new boat and the positive support.

Capt. Jimmy Samia

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.