Berkley PowerGulp? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 12-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Berkley PowerGulp?

Anyone tried using that Berkley Powergulp series of baits?? I bought the clam ones and havent had luck ( but neither did any of my buddies with fresh clams)... thinking it was worth a shot just wondering if anyone else has used the clams or maybe even the sandworm bait ones that Berkley makes... i also tried using Mike's lunker oil bunker scent... anyone try that as well?? been unlucky in catching stripers for almost 2 years now off the surf so im trying different things... much thanxs guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Berkley PowerGulp?

how are you presenting the bait? that stuff works really good (in certain instances_) like when fish are present. the clam and strip baits work well if you drift them (like from a boat) in the surf or back bays the crab/sandworm baits excell for weakfish and schoolie bass. again, your presentation is key. in jigging these baits constant contact with the jig and a feel for the hit will come with time. knowing where to use them and how, will do wonders for you. knowing where you fish and what the conditions are would help alot.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:43 PM
swabbie

I use that stuff for catching bait fish sometimes, like cunner or scup. It works well and stays on the hook much longer than real bait. Some people swear by the fake sand worms on a tube n' worm rig so I keep some around in case I don't have fresh ones and want to troll. However, I haven't used them enough trolling to say if they work. I can't imagine they really outfish fresh bait but they sure do last longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Striper Hunter

what you mean by how am i presenting it?? i just rig it as i would if i was using live clams.... i have the tip of the hook showing and the rest of the hook is inside the clam... any suggestions or tips?? if these lil suckers work i would rather use them then real bait... especialy the worms since seems like stripers love those sandworms as well... i was even thinking of byuing some more bunker oil and use it as a "marinade" and use it throughout the year... desperate times means desperate measures lol
Old 12-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

okay, let me see, if i ask again will it work?
knowing where you fish and what the conditions are would help alot

Old 12-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Striper Hunter

sorry zimmo didnt catch that... i fish from union beach (thats the bay area) all the way down to 7 presidents beach in long branch... so sandy hook only in the north beach area monmouth beach, sea bright etc... conditions i usually go only on the weekends so i take what i can get... and i try my best to fish 2 hrs before and after high tide...
Old 12-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Veteran Elite

I will give the right babymaker for a few of the gulp products. The 300x scent glow jerk bait on a jig worked by the current will kill and the natural sandworm on a jig will kill. This is where I fish. I used other Gulp products and will never buy them again. But the 2 I mentioned above will never leave my side.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

THERE YA GO,
now that you are specific about the area there are some good fellas down there who could tell you where these baits work well. there are jigs (unlike bucktails) that you could use with them. if you use a 3/4 oz to 1 1/2 oz jig (depending on the current) with a sandworm pattern and cast it into a spot you've read on the beach and let it move in the longshore current and keeping constant contact with it, unlike a bucktail you twitch and move along, the wonder of this fake bait is it smells great. your presentation would be to hook it on the jig like you would freshwater bass fishing. sometimes i walk along with the bait as it moves with the current. with an abundance of fish around it works great. bear in mind that there are jigs to fish off the boat and jigs to fish in the surf. jigs to fish vertical have no use in the surf. like a ball head jig or leadhead. bucktails are almost that way but are tied with copius amounts of bucktail to weight them a little more in the middle. a jig for shore fishing would be a weight centered jig like this slo poke

Attached Images

Old 12-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Striper Hunter

thanxs buddy... never fished a jig like that before... i have used the diamond jigs... so would i still be able to deadstick that berkley power gulp as i would with any other "real" clam?? gonna go buy some bunker oil after work and let the clams sit in it over night... nexst year i am going for the sandworm version
Old 01-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

keep the jig moving. don;t deadstick that crap. may as well buy real bait if you wanna do that. cover alot of bottom from one end of the beach to the other moving with the longshore current IE: if the waves are coming from right to left you move down the beach with the flow as the jig will move in the current as you work it. will get alot of small fish with this stuff but hey, ya may take a beast ya nevah know///

Old 01-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Official Member

Union is ok, but it's always so crowded. Find some quieter water and I"m sure you'll do better. Trust me.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:49 PM
take a kid fishing

I use them as trailers on my bucktails - they work
Staten Island, New York
Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

no, it isn't here. check with my pm i sent.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:15 AM
DiRtY Huh-Ka

Fishbites works killer!!!! Pinnk crab