Polar boats? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boaters Forum This forum is for boaters both fresh and saltwater. Trolling / Tips / Tactics / Maintenance

Old 07-01-2008, 11:37 AM
swabbie

Default Polar boats?

What's the word on Polar boats? I don't know anything about them but they sure look nice. I am considering upgrading from my KW 1520 to a Polar 1900CC. Are they a good boat? I'm looking for something that I would feel safe taking my young son out saltwater fishing in and my 15 footer - although great in the brine for me - doesn't give me the warm fuzzy when thinking of taking my son out the mouth of the Merrimac

So, what do you guys think of Polar boats?

Thanks
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2008, 11:58 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Polar boats?

they are nice lookin boats. Here's what I was able to find:

Fishability: Polar 1900CC
This solid center-console is loaded with fishing-friendly features.
Glenn Law

The 1900 Center Console from Polar debuted last season to rave reviews from anglers. In fact, the demand for this sprightly 19-footer has been so high that we had a tough time finding one to test, but late last summer we managed to rendezvous with a 1900 at Boats Unlimited in Cape Coral, Florida.
Joining us was Denise Oyler, marketing director for Polar. Oyler also happens to have been chartering and fishing redfish tournaments in a Polar for the past several years, so we got a good, close look at the fishing features packed into this boat.
Our test boat was powered by a Yamaha 130-hp four-stroke outboard, although the hull is rated for power up to 150 hp. The 130 pushed the hull along nicely, topping out at 45 mph, and provided an excellent power-to-weight balance. It got us where we needed to go comfortably and quickly, yet still floated high when we drifted the grass flats to cast along the shorelines. The hull's 17-degree variable deadrise provides both shallow-water access and enough of an entry to comfortably hit the reefs and wrecks offshore.
The high hull sides provide a good margin of security, and the padded bolsters make it comfortable to lean against the rail when fishing. The raised bow platform puts the gunwale just below knee level, and provides better visibility and casting distance. It's a handy feature when fishing inshore waters.
The bow holds an anchor locker with a notched hatch for the rode. On the inboard bulkhead of the anchor locker is a trolling-motor power socket and a tilt switch for the outboard. The outboard can be raised completely out of the water for shallow drifting, or it can be lowered to assist in tracking when running on a front-mount trolling motor. The angler never has to leave the front casting platform to make the adjustment. Recessed cleats and a low-profile bow rail make for trouble-free fishing. The hatch in the bow platform leads to a large compartment that holds a ton of odd-sized gear. Since it drains overboard, it can also be used as a fishbox, with enough room to ice down kingfish or dolphin.
¿
SPECIFICATIONS
LOA: 19' 1"
Beam: 8' 1"
Draft: 13"
Deadrise: 17 ¿
Fuel: 72 gals.
Max. hp: 150
Base price w/ Yamaha
F115 outboard: $19,995
The 1900 is surprisingly well equipped to haul a lot of tackle. The standard setup easily accommodates 16 rigged outfits. The under-gunwale racks hold a total of four rods, two per side. There are four flush-mounted holders at the stern and two more amidships. Three more holders per side are molded into the console. The console is equipped with a molded-in front seat that conceals a release well with anti-slosh collar to keep the water where it belongs. It's big enough to hold a couple of legal-size redfish. The backrest cushion on the front of the console drops down on a hinge to reveal a three-tray tackle locker.
The console is lag-bolted into the stringer system, and sits above the cockpit sole to provide extra toe room. The same inset conceals a string of cockpit lights that provide even and indirect illumination for night fishing. A hatch on the aft console wall opens to a large storage area. The control panel with waterproof switches for bait wells, pumps, lights, raw-water washdown and accessories is mounted on the inside of the hatch. The helm seat is a padded, 96-quart cooler that sits in a bracket. The bracket has a tilting backrest for forward or rear-facing seating.
A compartment in the starboard transom corner provides access to the batteries, which sit above the cockpit sole - and the waterline. In the port corner, a jumpseat doubles as a second bait well for holding shrimp or crabs. A center hatch leading to the bilge makes it easy to reach and service the pumps and plumbing.
The transom cut-out is flared slightly outward, providing just a little more cockpit space. This flare is part of the Hydra Lift transom, designed to rise on following seas and provide lift to the stern when backing down. A 72-gallon gas tank is standard.
After our look at the 1900, we find it no surprise that dealers are having a tough time keeping it in stock. It's a solid, versatile package, and there's no shortage of features aimed at making this a top-notch fishing boat.
Godfrey Marine, Elkhart, IN; (574) 522-8381; www.polarboats.com.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:13 PM
First Mate

That's exactly the boat I was looking at. I'm a year or so from buying it, so let me know how it works out. I liked the layout. I know a couple people with the 21 foot and they love them. I ran into a guy at the ramp with a 19 footer and he loved it. So far, all I've heard is positive comments. I did hear they had a problem with their transoms years ago, but the factory did good by the owners and repaired any issues.
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2008, 01:45 PM

A member, cuz'n eddie, (hasn't been around for a couple years) who fishes Narraganset Bay has the 1900CC. I wend Tog fishin with him from it and it seemed like a really nice ride. Pounded a little in moderate chop, but not bad at all. Sipped fuel with a Yamaha 200 (I think) four stroke. I really liked the layout. 2 thumbs up from me.

Here's a photo I found of Eddie's boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Polar.jpg
Views:	1071
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	6644  
Old 07-06-2008, 10:58 PM
swabbie

Thanks for the info guys!

I am keeping an eye on this boat... I hope I can get it for a good deal. I'd like a bigger boat for next year but if I don't get a smokin' deal on one, I'll run mine one more year.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:16 PM

Jay,

I have owned a 2006 Polar 1900 cc with a Yamaha 115 4S for a little over a year now. It is a great boat with good fit and finish, a nice layout, great rod storage, and a heck of a lot of features for the money. Additionally, it is very economical to run. Mine still looks brand new after a season and a half of fishing -- primarily on Lake Michigan. The ride is pretty good for a 19' modified V. You'll get wet if the wind is blowing and you are running in anything more than a three-foot chop. Trim tabs definitely help. I put the Minn Kota Trim-N-Troll system on mine with the 80-lb. thrust motors on each tab and love the system -- I would think that system would work very well for you striper guys too. At about 2,000-pounds dry weight, the boat is quite heavy for a 19-footer. I only get 33 mph top end with just me in the boat with a half tank of fuel, and my boat is very slow to plane with more than two adults on board (granted, I have three batteries on board and a 21-pitch "vanilla" prop that is probably a big part of the problem). I think a 19 is probably the right pitch prop for this boat. I would seriously consider getting a 130 or 150 HP motor instead of the 115. You will burn 20%-30% more fuel (and that is the drawback), but the increased hole shot and top end are probably worth it. Get the premier package which gets you all stainless fittings and pop up cleats. Also get the fixed leaning post. Hope this is helpful to you!

Josh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Install1 copy.jpg
Views:	1224
Size:	834.5 KB
ID:	7518  
Old 08-06-2008, 08:19 PM

Hi editor
Appreciate the info on your polar
Old 08-08-2008, 09:05 AM
swabbie

Editor1, thank you for the info!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Official Member

I have owned a 2003 polar 19cc since I bought it new in 2004. It has been an excellent off shore fishing boat, albeit awry ride when seas are 3 ft or better. I regularly fish 15 - 25 miles offshore and have never had a problem with this boats performance. The boat still looks great too, it is a tournament edition with t- top and a Yamaha 150 4stroke. The only changes I wish I could make to it are : it really needs a leaning post, and it really needs trim tabs. This boat has minimal spider cracking ANSI have never had any transom issues. These are fine boats and are an excellent choice for the weekend fisherman who has a family that wants to play on a boat after thefishing is done. MineFishes in the morning and pulls skis and tubes in the afternoon. For the price, these are excellent boats.