Saltwater license - Massachusetts. Everywhere. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 05-26-2008, 11:21 AM
First Mate

Default Saltwater license - Massachusetts. Everywhere.

I saw the thread in the Striper Room about the striper license. And thought I would post here. I did get some valid and straight info last week at my Cape Cod Canal Sportsman's Club meeting.

The Salt Water license is coming to the Commonwealth. It is a Federal Mandate. It will be a license issued by Massachusetts.

This is a Federal order due to a provision found in the Magnuson-Stevens Act. By a certain date each state must have a plan in place to institute a permitting process or the federal government will. And the Federal Government will keep all monies collected in the issuance of these federal permits.

The idea is that at least the Commonwealth can keep the money here.

The details are being ironed out as to cost of the Mass license, and how those monies will be assigned to agencies, policing, and other details.

While I paraphrase the report, I tell you, it is coming. It is supported at the state level by many organizations, in part, to keep the money here. It is being thought of in the same vein as the Migratory bird stamp, etc.

I raised the issue of conflict with Fishing, fowling and navigation. It is not a way to fight it. Nor will it affect access.

Action, debate, and input are being solicited from sportsmen on all levels. If you belong to a club, find out what input you may have.

I can't stress enough. IT IS COMING. THERE ARE FEW DETAILS. There is no fighting it, only making it fair, and less painful.

Get active, if you are not already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Saltwater license - Massachusetts. Everywhere.

The Saltwater License and why its coming
Old 05-27-2008, 07:35 PM
First Mate

Thanks Jim. Very succinct thread there.

You may delete this one if you like. Don't know how I missed yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Next thing you know, breathing will have a tax on it. Good luck enforcing that one.

You know what? Any time I think of the state enforcing anything, all that I can think of is state sponsered communism. The state provides funds for what it believes is in the best interest of the state. Little do they know the people know what's best.

How about you and me, and everybody that reads this god cursed thread, swear up and down to your local state rep that THIS is how we feed our family. I can usually put striped bass on the table a few times a year? How many times can you?

Well then there you go, this is how we all beat this F'n thing. No licensing!
Old 05-30-2008, 11:08 PM
First Mate

The one positive thing I had heard was the New England states working on reciprocal licenses. A Mass license may be honored in Connecticut for example.

Nothing has been worked out as yet, but that is on the table.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:11 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSixpack View Post
The one positive thing I had heard was the New England states working on reciprocal licenses. A Mass license may be honored in Connecticut for example.

Nothing has been worked out as yet, but that is on the table.
Reciprocal licenses is definitely a good thing. From where I fish MA, NH and ME are very close to each another and i don't want to get a license to fish each state.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

too many variables to work out in a short time. i fear the fine print will be vague or at the very least ammendable so that it can be altered at will. any addendum submitted would be by law open for discussion but will there be ample cooperation with governing bodies, the public and conservation entities? and, as dpolson stated about the monies, at least we can be sure that if a state has a licence for this the monies by law have to go to it's allotted entity ie; marine conservation and fisheries and cannot be used by law for any other purpose like bridge painting or pocket lining etc. at least we are protected in that sense

Old 06-01-2008, 10:01 AM
First Mate

That the monies not be available to the General fund in Massachusetts, is one thing being ironed out. But as you may know, the general fund in Massachusetts has constitutional abilities to suck up just about anything.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

if this is a mandate from feds and it is a state law then it has to be placed in state law under the guidelines of the MS act as in other states and they have in place the stipulation as i above mentioned. they can be sued for misuse of slotted funds.