Boat purchase - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance Tips and discussion on Boat parts/boat maintenance.

Old 02-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Veteran

Just don't get an open transom. I have an open transom and your right it can be a pain. Get one with scuppers orscupper holes like a mako. Its nice when you want to wash down the boat. Or when a wave comes over the side. or if it rains out. The pump dosen't keep coming on and run down thw battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2005, 05:48 PM

Whats the differnece between scupers and an open transom?...I spent a bunch of time on a boat with scupers...I love em', some much easier to deal with than a bilge pump...

...Sea Sea...my Grady has a semi-v hull...Im not sure what the draft is...but hell, I can take what ever I dish out!
Old 03-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Veteran

Open is right across the back, notched is like a vee where the motor goes. Scupper holes are holes at the back of the boat that let the water out. Some fishing boats have just a piece of rubber on the outside of the hole. Self baling could let the water out (on the main deck) to a lower part of the boat below, some times on the side or on the back The only time you would need a pump is if you got water in the lower part of the boat. Engine rm, or under a compartment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2005, 01:58 PM

Boaters world article on boat purchase. I still havent figured it out yet. I think I would want an offshore range and a boat that wont pound. As I can see by the article there is a give and take to them all.
I still love the steigercraft look. but they say its not good offshore. Even though I wouldnt be doing that often anyway. It seems good enough for the coast gaurd in the New York City harbor. It still is my choice.

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/w...atalogId=10051
Old 03-11-2005, 08:59 AM

Default We've got a new one this year

Not really knowing to much about boats and visiting a few dealers we ended up with a Polar 1900cc. We liked the look and all the extras in the boat, the fit was pretty tight and everything looked good, not to mention we bought this boat a few thousand less than what everyone is selling that for. The dealer we bought it from was no longer carrying the line and had two boats move before the new ones arrived. The money we saved gave us a little bit more to spend on the goodies, like new rods and reels as well as electronics.

The only thing is after the fact I ask for a few opinions and some liked the boats and others thought there were better choices... we'll see once we get the boat out and start using it but for what I could afford and we were looking for I think I made a good choice in a starter boat.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:35 PM
Veteran

Jim The best hull ,I thing for offshore is a deep vee. When Ihad my 23 formulas I never got wet . The waves most of the time break along side of you or behine you. But if you stop dead in the water the boat will rock.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:44 PM

ok lets see if this works.....

Here is the boat i'm presently looking at......any comments?

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/9/78224659.htm

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Old 03-14-2005, 07:52 PM

that looks like a good choice briggs
Old 03-14-2005, 08:12 PM

Briggs I'd try to avoid the Inboard/Outboard...but with a boat like that I dont think you have a choice...other than that it looks good...

...Just remember the I/O could cost some money to rebuild, down the line...

...Looks like an awesome fishing boat...a trollin' machine...
Old 03-14-2005, 09:06 PM

If the motors in good shape Craig. Its a score. :D

has two VHF radios, radar, spotlight, outriggers, many extras, former charterboat
The extras can cost a few grand.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:03 PM

Looks like a nice boat!
Old 03-14-2005, 10:49 PM

...Thats a great price for a 25' boat that has a cabin...

Like Jim said...if the engine is all set, then go for it...
Old 03-15-2005, 12:26 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think, if everything works the way it should, its a steal.

I'll be a stickler when i go check it out trust me. My 3 year old has to be on it so, its gots to be right.

I'm going to moor it down the road from my house, i can't see trailering it everytime i want to go out, plus it will be a good place to hangout when i'm not fishing.

also means that i have to move everything in my fishingroom downstairs, to the boat hahaha. i have the biggest tacklebox known to man, that was put out of commision when i realized how stupid i was to buy it. with the boat, that tacklebox will live again.

If everything goes right, and i really do end up with this or a similar boat....nobody from this group will ever have to charter a boat again. will it be named the "Stripers247"? I think not hahaha lmfao......it will be named after my daughter "Samantha May". sorry hahaha. But i am having a custom rod built with the stripers247 logo, under the glass....just looks cool in my imagination.

well enough of my blathering..........

Thanks again for the input.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Old 03-20-2005, 12:01 PM

o.k.,,,,then people say im a animal. waited around for you all day sat. ready to get you the boat. what happen?

p.s. ill splash my boat in a week!!!!
Old 03-20-2005, 12:53 PM

:?:

:twisted: :twisted: