to all the boaters out there... - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boaters Forum This forum is for boaters both fresh and saltwater. Trolling / Tips / Tactics / Maintenance

Old 03-18-2008, 04:17 PM

Default Re: to all the boaters out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech43 View Post
whats the matter? you worried I'm going to steal your fish or crash into you, or both?
Steal fish? yes. Crash into me? Nah.

No, on Barnegat Bay on the weekends you are taking you life into your hands. Its an exercise in total incompetence mixed with alcohol.

That would be another tip.....NO ALCOHOL!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Veteran Striper Chaser

Cheech I pray, yes that's right i really pray that you listen to the advice that has been sent in and I'd like to add one more thing if i may. Please listen to that little voice in the back of your head it may save your life.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Striper Hunter

If you decide to buy a boat, always get the MAXIMUM rated horsepower motor for that boat. Rod holders, rod holders , rod holders and then more rod holders.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:33 PM
First Mate

thanks for all the advice guys. Luckily last year I made it through the season with any incidents. Don't worry, I won't let it get to my head. I am very very cautios when I take the boat out. Now this year I can concentrate a little more on how to catch more fish.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Basstastic

I'll say it again because it can never be said enough, take the USCG Aux. Boater's safety course. Second, (and a lesson you'll learn in the course) keep a dedicated look out on board. You don't have eyes 360. Lastly, consider getting a radar reflector. Your electronics may stop you from running into someone in the fog, but if they can't see you, your sack will be in your throat the first time someone comes ripping by your stern in a thick fog.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:15 AM
First Mate

Every boaters friend is a a 5 gallon bucket if the bieldge pump stops.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Fly fishin' geek

If you dont have the patience to take the course, the local USCG chapter has some nice printed info on boat safety and navigation.

One of my biggest peeves is coming across new boaters out on the water, or coming down the river who have no clue what headway speed is, or what the markers are for. Even worse when you are trolling lines and they rip right up behind you or across your lines.

On occasion I get a tid bit of satisfaction at low tide when I hear or watch the tourists mud their engines down in 8" of water because they have no idea about channel markers. Then comes the surprised look on their face when they pull the throttle back to realize they just plowed the boat into the sandbar or mud. I can only imagine what that does to an impeller.

At the very least just read the boating laws and nav guides from the USCG. They are great guys and I think the course here in maine is only something like $40 or so. It could save your boat, your life, and plenty of fines.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:20 PM

Thumbs down Re: to all the boaters out there...

check your fuel before you go out... even if you filled it when you got back last... there are thieves out there... (clammers)... dont mean to start any crap with any clammers... but they are the biggest thieves... I know ... I'm related to a couple ... and they are kinda crazy...

so check your fuel ... it may have been stolen... or you'll end up runnen out of fuel while crossing the channel in the middle of Raritan Bay with a big friggen Oil Tanker bearing down on you... kinda like what happened to me...
Old 07-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Striper Hunter

Fuel management...1/3 out, 1/3 back, 1/3 reserve. Along those lines make sure your fuel gauge is accurate! Also, never approach anything (ie a dock) faster than you are willing to crash into it!
Old 07-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Striper Hunter

As a teacher of the United States Power Squadron Safe Boating Course, I'm suprised the USPS course is not mentioned.
I & my fellow teachers certify 50 to a 100 boaters a year & next year when N.Y. will require the safe boating course of all boaters those #s will triple.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:11 PM

get a good understanding of the waters you're boating and your boat.know where all the channels, sandbars and shallow spots are. have all of your nautical gear. flares,life vests, medical kit etc. know what type of water your boat can handle. ya know like like 2-3 foot swells or 4-5s whatever. dont take waves over the back. put the plug in. know what rpm you max at. and just have fun.

oh yeah most importantly always have a net. ive lost too many fish that way
Old 07-09-2008, 03:43 PM

For sure there's going to come a time when you are in a crowd of boaters, waverunners and such. Boats don't have BRAKES! anticipate and think three moves ahead and be ready for anything. Know your waterways and have a good depthfinder.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:09 PM
First Mate

As far as fuel goes, I always fill up when I get to about a 1/4 of a tank.
I have to say, thank god I'm cautious, because nobody else is. I get people going WOT within 20 ft of me while I'm drifting. There are so many people that don't pay attention or just out right don't care that it's not even funny. So I alway keep myself at an extra safe distance form other boaters.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:02 AM
Striper Hunter

I have a 14' vhull glass.

KNOW IT"S LIMITS!

A 19"er got flipped over and halfsank this year.

His buddy was borrowing the boat for the day and tied it up wrong.

Overnight:
tide changed, flip, dump, and halfsunk.

$23,000 turned into junk overnight.