Tube and worm - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boaters Forum This forum is for boaters both fresh and saltwater. Trolling / Tips / Tactics / Maintenance

Old 07-19-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Tube and worm

Will do guys. The line on it came with the rod so I will look for some replacement.

Great info...love the site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Wishin i was fishin

keep in mind, if you wanna learn even more and meet some great guys we're having a get together in maine in august
Old 05-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Striper Hunter

A lot of guys on some other forums (and myself) connect a plastic keel between the mainline and the leader with snap swivels and this eliminates line twist for me completely.

I'm kind of going out on a limb here because I haven't spent much actual fishing time with this yet, but I've also drilled a hole in the bottom center of the keel to attach a sinker on a light line with an end loop (almost like a 3-way rig) which, if the sinker snags should break off leaving the rest of the rig intact.

The advantage I see to this system over using an inline trolling weight (in addition to not losing as many rigs) is that you can adjust the weight as needed without having to cut and retie.

Haven't caught anything over 36" with them yet so I don't know if the (home made) keels will hold up on a real cow but I hope to find out this season.

Brad
Old 05-29-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschoolie View Post
Does anyone experience their line twisting when using a tube? After trolling for a little while my line seems to get twisted from all of the spinning. The tube has a swivel so I am not sure of the cause.
As was said previously, those plastic rudders help quite a bit. I also have braid on all my trolling set-ups for tube and worm and never get line twist with a braid to floro to rudder to floro to tube set up.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalman View Post
I am a die hard bait fisherman for striped bass. Have been wanting to learn a new twist. Chartered a trip with Dick Pinney Sunday to learn how to use the tube and worm. It was a very successful day in the Piscatiqua River and the Great Bay. We started with the Santini tube in honey mustard color but soon found red was the color of the day. We boated over 15 stripers and one bluefish.
All in all it was a great day in the company of good friends.
Coalman
Great pics Coalman! I've been trolling tube and worm rigs for awhile now and I've learned a couple of things. I seem to get more fish trolling against the current in a river. I catch them trolling with the current too, just not as many. Every river is a little different, but as far as colors go, red has always been a "go to". Don't ignore the pink tubes either, stripers love 'em! If there's blues around, try an orange one...it drives them nuts! Good luck out there.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Official Member

I had an issue come up this weekend that was a new one. I am new to tube and worm and the knot on the swivel from my main line kept slipping undone. I have never had this issue with any barrel on my kine . I notice the barrel swivel is a differnt type of metal but any help would be great.

JD
Old 06-16-2008, 12:27 PM

What knot & line were you using? Are you sure you were tying it correctly? The type of swivel should have no impact on knot strength that I'm aware of.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Cow Catcher

Tube and worm works great for me... but theres a shit load a bunker around where i fish so snagging live bait is the way to go right now.. in a couple of weeks or maybe even days the tube and worm will come out..... but make sure you have a worm on it no worm=no fish.. just seems to be the way it is
Old 06-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner View Post
What knot & line were you using? Are you sure you were tying it correctly? The type of swivel should have no impact on knot strength that I'm aware of.
Thats what I was thinking... Its a 5 twists and pull it back through the loop at the swivel and for some reason at the swivel the 12lb mono would slip. This would make it untie for some reason.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:26 PM

That knot is very weak, especially with light test mono or braid.
Check out this thread for some better alternatives. Knot Instruction

I usually use the Uni knot for swivel connections... tied as shown below, but with 10 turns instead of the 5 shown in the animation. The smaller the diameter of your line, but more turns you need for a stable knot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
The Uni Popular fishermans knot. Used for connecting hooks, swivels, rings and lures. Its main advantage is that it retains virtually 90% breaking strain. Easy to tie even in the the dark after some practice.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:39 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpersLuck View Post
I had an issue come up this weekend that was a new one. I am new to tube and worm and the knot on the swivel from my main line kept slipping undone. I have never had this issue with any barrel on my kine . I notice the barrel swivel is a differnt type of metal but any help would be great.

JD
mono or fluorocarbon?