Advice on boat purchase - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance Tips and discussion on Boat parts/boat maintenance.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:22 PM
in awe of real fisherman

Default Advice on boat purchase

I am looking to buy a boat that can be used for fun on the lake (wake boarding, tubing, skiing etc) and can also be used in the bay (jamestown/narragansett area if you know RI) for fishing. I am looking at a 17 foot 1989 Sea Ray Bowrider, I know if will be good for the lake, but how about some striper fishing in the bay? Can I, in your opinion, get by?

thanks for any advice!
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 06:59 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default Re: Advice on boat purchase

I really dont have a clue what the boat looks like but to me it sounds like a great "all around" boat. (considering it's a bowrider....great for cruising with guests). You can easily fish from any boat but just remember that some boats are MADE for fishing others are made for fishing AND other things (i.e. the boat your looking at). Others can help you more than me but other than the above advice If you are serious about that boat (which I'm sure you will or will not be after other users post here) I would seriously think about getting a marine surveyor.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Lunker

if you want something for the lake and the ocean look more about 18-19 feet, also Sea Ray is not a very good brand of boat, it's mostly and improved Bayliner, I'd look for a Striper, Cobalt, Mako and a center console is definitely the most versatile, also outboard motors are much less expensive to fix, and easier to work on, Yamaha is probably the best outboard made these days, stay away from Merc outboards and newer Johnson/Evinrude models
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2007, 08:01 AM

outboards are nice but ive found some good things with the stern drives also.....(partly because i have one and i wanna make excuses to make it seem good to myself subconciously-if that makes any sense)

anyways with the inboard you definently have less room. thats the only really disadvantage that i see with them...apart from the fact that theres more risk of a fire onboard/explosion. EASILY neutralized if you run your blower for 4 minutes-which is a MUST,no matter how long you are goin out for.

Inboards are quieter & easier to work on when out at sea and you needa make a quick fix or add fluid or w.e the situation is.

Ready for the best advantage.................

I dont know the numbers but stern drives a.k.a. inboard/outboards are better on fuel. Keep this in mind when you think of what youll be using your boat for.

freebie seems to know his stuff but this is my advice....if you wanna make a good decision you needa hear both sides of the story.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Lunker

not knocking inboards, but they do run more in upkeep, winterizing has alot more steps becuase getting in there to work on them can be a pain, more moving parts to break, etc, you really cant go wrong with a 2 stroke outboard, one more thing is if you have children and wife a cabin might not be a bad idea, walk arounds are excellent for fishing skiing etc, and you can have some protection from the elements and a plavce for a porta potty(usually the big sell with the wife)
Old 05-13-2007, 04:44 PM

one more thing about i/o's.they last longer (generally) due to the fact that it takes more effort (rpm's) for an outboard to reach cruising speed than it does for a stern drive.

I do agree with you though freebie, you really cant go wrong with a 2 stroke outboard. Either way when your looking for a great all around boat it probably dosnt really matter what type of engine you have, both have their advantages and disadvantages. As with any engine both require a lot of preventive maintenance-i think if you do this then you should be good to go.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Lunker

agreed on the maintenance thing, also, if buying a used boat from a private party bring someone who knows a little about them or do some serious research, probably better off paying a little more to a dealer and getting a warranty of some sort
Old 05-18-2007, 01:08 PM
First Mate

I'm also not that far from looking to pick up another boat. I know about staying away from the 90's Evinrude/Johnsons, but how are the new V-Techs? The new 2 strokes are far less $$ than a new 4 stroke, and I'm hearing that the newer 2 strokes are as economical on fuel, and as reliable as a 4 stroke. Is that true or false? I've been running Mercury since 1982. We ran that motor for 20 years without more than normal maitenance, and put a mess of hours on it. I have a 88 Merc on the boat now, because the 82 finally got tired. Seems to run fine now, but did have, what seems to be common, electrical issues. The motor has good compression and looked like it wasn't beat so I picked it up

Final question...Will a rebuilt or new powerhead 2 stroke run a while if done by a reputable shop? I've seen some nice boats, that seem reasonable priced, but with either rebuilt engines or new powerheads. Are those something to stay away from?
Old 05-18-2007, 01:58 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Mercury still makes one of the most reliable ,dependable motors on the market today, dont be afraid to buy one...

All outboard manufactures had their duds, most have certain models that are better than others.

the old Suzuki's were trouble, but the new ones are quite dependable,, very fuel efficient and quiet.

be sure to have a compression test done on any ouboard motor you buy.

A complete rebuild done by an reputable mechanic will last a long time, just be sure to have a compression test done first before you buy.

I/O are reliable and often times better suited for a family boat, have a thourough check of the lower unit and cooling system done before you make a purchase.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:12 PM

Wow, glad to see you replied to that Roccus. Someone levelheaded (not what I was thinking, but trying to be nice). Besides Roccus's reply, I don't think I agree with 90% of what was written before this. I can't believe it hasn't gotten more replies. Here's my 2 cents, take it for what its worth.
Buy the biggest boat you can afford. If you can afford a 17 footer, be careful with it on the bay in bad weather, especially with the family. Its better to miss a day then it is capsize a boat with a family on board.
If tubing, skiing, wakeboarding (especially) is in your plans I/O would be my second choice, only followed by a true inboard. The advantages of an outboard for fishing become nothing when skiing and boarding come in to play. Wakeboarding behind an outboard motor isn't that fun. An I/O is fine for fishing, yah you lose space. You don't have a ton on a 17 foot boat anyway. Its a good place to put your board.
A center console, for a family boat?? I don't know about anyone else, when my boat is in motion (we use the motor starting as the key) both my kids are on their asses. PERIOD! Not a lot of sitting room on most center consoles, especially in the 18 foot range.
As far as Sea Rays go. You get what you pay for. For boats in that price point, I would say they are on the higher end of quality. They are owned by the same company as Bayliner's yes. But so are a lot of other brands of great boats. Brunswick is a huge company that overhauled Bayliner a few years ago and their quality is much much better now then the early years.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:12 PM
in awe of real fisherman

I thank you all for your advice. This is definitely a compromise for me, if I was going strictly fishing I would have definitely gone for a center console with an outboard as the Bowrider is severly limited in space/set up for fishing. But I'll make it work (if anyone else has one and any tips for fishing set up they would be greatly appreciated....before this I was solely a surfcaster)

I ended up with all the advice purchasing a 1988 20' Chris Craft Bowrider with a 4.3L Mercruiser (engine rebuilt in 2003 with receipts and new Alpha 1 outdrive the same year with receipts). A little bigger engine than I wanted but it was the best deal for the most solid boat. Any opinons on the boat are welcome. Should eb good for the bay I hope :)

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2007, 03:28 PM
First Mate

Lots of luck with it
Old 05-24-2007, 04:20 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Colad, sometimes a bigger engine is a good thing.... marine engines work very hard, boats that are under powered are a safty hazzard and guzzle fuel.....just use the extra ponies to get up on plane or get the skier up, then throttle back.... the package you purchased should be dependable... good luck and enjoy.

Roc