In the Fall, Babylon Cove is good for...? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New York
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New York New York Bight - Raritan Bay - North and South Shore - Eastern Long Island -Captree - Shinnecock - Moriches - Montauk - Jamaica Bay - Staten Island - Western Sound - Long Island Sound The Hudson River

Old 10-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Official Member

Default In the Fall, Babylon Cove is good for...?

For the last few summers I've been taking my kids snapper fishing from various public docks on Babylon cove. I'm aware that there's also puffer fish, , sea robins, crabs, needle fish, and even the occasional eel and on rare occasions a fluke (always too small). Around five years ago, there were baby weak fish, but was the only time I'd seen them there.

I'd always thought that was the extent of the species that pass through the cove, until a few weeks ago when I pulled out a lone short sea bass. Now I'm beginning to wonder if any large trophy fish enter the cove to feed on bait fish this time of year, or if I'm simply better off sticking to the ocean beaches.

Would someone kindly clue me in? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Official Member

Default Re: In the Fall, Babylon Cove is good for...?

...nothing, apparently.

Too bad. I was kind of hoping to hear that with access to the south shore cut off, the piers and launches that face the north side of the great south bay and are still accessible are worthwhile, but the lack of response to this query leads me to believe otherwise.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Striper Hunter

Hey Tech,

It's a pretty tight lipped forum. I've never fished the cove but I wouldnt take the lack of response to mean you're wasting your time. Folks don't comment on location here, I think it may actually be against site rules (or it seems that way at least).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Official Member

Thanks. I was trying to be as non-specific as possible, and some of the locations I had in mind are about a publicly known/accessible as can be, but I hear ya. The complete lack of any other anglers there this time of year tells me it was wishful thinking anyway.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:11 PM
First Mate

Techjunkie,

For any large trophy fish to enter the Babylon cove (as well as just about every other large cove in GSB), there must be a good reason. They donít spawn there, so sex is out - that only leaves food...they need an ample food supply. When the adult bunker come into the bay in the Spring, bass and blues follow them in. The bunker flee up into the creeks to avoid being eaten. The predators will follow them in...to a point. As soon as the boat traffic starts up, they will head off to...parts unknown. As a fisherman, you need to be aware of this. In other words, donít expect to be bailing 30 lb bass from the Babylon Town Dock at noon time on a nice sunny day - ainít gonna happen. The adult bunker, as well as peanuts, mullet, spearing, et. al., will begin leaving the creeks during the Fall. The bass know this, and will wait to ambush them. Again, the boat traffic will put them down. As the water temps drop, and the bait heads South, the bass will pull back closer to the inlet to wait for a meal. I wouldnít expect to catch any large bass or blues up in the creeks in the late Fall.

Sorry for my late response, but I just joined the forum today. Hope my reply was helpful.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Official Member

That's a great explanation of things. Thanks.