Boat Purchase - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boaters Forum This forum is for boaters both fresh and saltwater. Trolling / Tips / Tactics / Maintenance

Old 05-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Official Member

Default Boat Purchase

Hey guys need some help. Im new to the whole boat ownership. I am looking hoping for some advice if Im making a good purchase. I am looking at buying a 2001 Sport Craft Center console, with twin 200 Mercury Outboards. I got the deal for $14,400, but have not finalized the deal yet, which is contingent on a sea trial and engine compression test. Is this a good buy and any suggestions would be helpful thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Boat Purchase

I've got a 1998 Sportcraft 252 Express and the thing is build like a tank. For an outboard boat I would pay particular attention to the stringers and transom. Early models of Sportcraft (before 1996 or so) had a rep for stringer and transom rot. By about 1997 they had a lot of that problem fixed. The other thing is wiring. I have had to rewire almost the entire boat and replace all the switches. I kept chasing electrical problems until I just gave up and rewired and re-swtiched the whole thing. Great boat - I love the thing and it is perfect for us for trolling on Chesapeake Bay and Lake Ontario.