Did I Get Screwed? - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boaters Forum This forum is for boaters both fresh and saltwater. Trolling / Tips / Tactics / Maintenance

Old 05-24-2010, 03:48 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Did I Get Screwed?

marine bottom paint can be rolled.....automotive cant, must be sprayed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Striper Hunter

Lots of bad advice along with some good in this thread. First of all the name of the automotive paint which can be, and often is used to paint boats is IMRON there is another paint which is only used on boats called Awlgrip, either will do the job, but Awlgrip is more expensive and in some conditions lasts longer.

You say you have stress cracks, paint will not fix stress cracks and you will still see them on the newly painted hull.

Prep work is definitely the key. You need to get all of the old paint, wax, and anything else besides the gelcoat, off the hull before you paint it. The hull will also have to be sanded with at least 220 grit abrasive to give the paint something to stick to. If I were doing it I would just sand the old paint off, since you are going to have to sand the hull anyway, but you can use paint strippers made for fiberglass. You'll need to sand, sand and sand some more. After each sanding wash the hull with acetone to get any wax or other contaminant off. When you are done there shouldn't be a shiny spot on the hull.

Imron is best sprayed on, the two part gives a better result than the single stage. Awlgrip can be sprayed or "rolled and tipped." "roll and tip" is a involved technique and if you are interested try a google search. Too much to type in here.

Bottom line is that you screwed yourself with poor prep work, spraying the paint on is the easy part of the job. BTW - Imron paint is widely use on cars.

BTW, my boat is painted with Imron, has been for the last 8 years now and after compounding and waxing she looks like new every spring.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:13 AM
First Mate

I like IMRON ( 2 part ). It's damn near bulletproof. Spray is best. Do a lot of reading. It has a "pot life" ( look it up) and has health issues if you are in contact ( breathing ) for any amount of time. You don't want to be found layin in the dirt next to your boat with your finger still on the trigger. If you don't have a good "hand" with a spray gun, you'd better practice, or get someone else to shoot.
If you choose to " roll and tip " ( look up Boaters World, Don Casey library ), and get someone to help. Otherwise you'll be hopping around like a flea on a hotplate, and the paint may get away from you. I'm very independent, stubborn and all that ( ask my wife ), but even I admit that one man alone on a job like that is just plain crazy.
Do your homework, bribe a friend to help ( Bar-b-que and beer usually works)

Most of all ......Good Luck
Old 05-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Dead Fish Swimmin

All of you guys have some good info. Anyone for hire?