Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2013 Striper Reports

20K views 45 replies 11 participants last post by  striperman kennebec river 
#1 ·
Today i went out in earnest since i saw a school of bunker being driven to the surface here in kittey. I didnt come home with a striper, but i did foul hook a bunker through the gill plate with my teaser. He was ok and swam of happily when put back in the water. With all the bait in the backwaters i cant imagine the big girls are far off! i will be back out this weekend to try again. :Sailor:

#3 ·
Today i went out in earnest since i saw a school of bunker being driven to the surface here in kittey. I didnt come home with a striper, but i did foul hook a bunker through the gill plate with my teaser. He was ok and swam of happily when put back in the water. With all the bait in the backwaters i cant imagine the big girls are far off! i will be back out this weekend to try again. :Sailor:
Are you positive it was a Menhaden aka Bunker? VERY early for them to be that far north. Much more likely that it was a herring.

#5 ·
Fished the Spurwink last evening. Saw what I figured was one making a wake in the shallows of a sandbar. Started out like last year- had a couple follow my lure (rubber eel and sluggo) to shore then turned tail. Had one break the surface in the wake of where I pulled a chug bug through, but nothing that could be mistaken for an attempted hit on the lure as it was already coming out of the water and the fish was almost 10 yards back.

After dark a deer snuck up behind me in the woods and scared the bejeezus out of me when it snorted and crashed off through the woods.

Hopefully it won't be long now before they start biting.

#6 ·
Fished the beach in Old Orchard last night from 6:30 to 9:30 (hour of incoming & 2 hours of outgoing) floating worms. The weather was pretty nice, medium chop, small pockets of seaweed in the water that came and went but nothing of concern. Between my buddy and I we managed to land 8 fish and missed a handful more. Most fish were in the 18-26" with the two biggest coming in just under 30". I landed a fat 26" that put my pole down hard......sand on the beach must have been soft cause my sand spike was buried but damn near went for a ride. All in all it was a great first trip of the season, wasn't expecting much off the beach this early in the season so seeing that many was definitely a welcome site.

#10 ·
After dark a deer snuck up behind me in the woods and scared the bejeezus out of me when it snorted and crashed off through the woods.[/QUOTE said:
You must be on the Sprague property, be careful if you don't have permission to be out there.

Bigblueflyer, next time you hook a Bunker, Herring or Mac, but it on a hook, and live line it....and hang on....lol

#13 ·
All,
Please be careful not to be too specific about fishing locations. Forum policy prohibits spot burning for many reasons. For your own benefit and the benefit of others who fish in the same locations, if you want to share detailed location specific information with another user, please do so in a Private Message and not on the public forum where it can be read by the general public.
Thank you,
JakeF

#14 ·
How's it going up there so far this week? Was up at OOB and Camp Ellis the beginning of last week and could tell things were about to blow up. The schoolies were pretty abundant in river. Saw some large fish swimming along the rocks as tide came in on the beach side. Smelt everywhere but no mackerel quite yet and I imagine the cold front slowed them down. Missed couple good fish one from the breakwater and one from beach. Hyper have you been able to make it out again or not til after holiday weekend? Weather end of week before next front looks very favorable for fast action.

#15 ·
How's it going up there so far this week? Was up at OOB and Camp Ellis the beginning of last week and could tell things were about to blow up. The schoolies were pretty abundant in river. Saw some large fish swimming along the rocks as tide came in on the beach side. Smelt everywhere but no mackerel quite yet and I imagine the cold front slowed them down. Missed couple good fish one from the breakwater and one from beach. Hyper have you been able to make it out again or not til after holiday weekend? Weather end of week before next front looks very favorable for fast action.
I went out Monday night again for a few hours, picked up one fish just under 30" and a few more I missed. Couple guys on either side of me caught a dozen or so between them ranging in size from low 20's to low 30's. They are definitely around and cruising the beaches, haven't heard of anything bigger than mid 30" range but that's not to say they aren't around!!!!

#18 ·
Now would be a better time to try and stick a pig (40"), as we have some large cruising around right now, I lost a large fish the other day. But....you can catch one anytime, you just never know.
The fish are in pretty good right now, everyone that I know, at least the ones that know how to fish are catching.

#21 ·
Hello to all.
Once again water levels in the UpperKennebec having risen do to all the rain...
Really makes it harder to shore fish for Stripers...
Caught dozen or so Schoolies in Sebasticook yesterday...
My friend and One of the best Stiper Guys in my area Sammy caught this one the other evening...
Lots of rain coming in on Tuesday....
Never a good break....
St.Croix all the way...

Attachments

#25 ·
In about an hour im haulin the boat down to waterville. Made a shore trip out of sunday before last. Caught 2 slots, 1 on topwater around lunch time and 1 on rubber at dark. I would have thought that would be the other way around but thats the nature of the striper, you never know. both fish came from a damn very close by to the picture striperman posted, but i wont say which one. ;) i fished the outputs with no success and tryed for shad by halifax park, half a dozen boats were constantly hooked up 20 yrds in front of me but i couldnt get a sniff,never fished them before but i tryed anyways. i literally only had 2 viable striper baits all day so i feel i did well. however its funny you post those pics, very first spot i went but didnt fish it because the fiancee couldnt get down the hill. I am now much more prepared. i will reside in maine for 12 more days. my best fish was a fluke 43" on the penobscot. i'm looking to best that today. conditions seem excellent, 5 years of practice for the final seconds of the game, can i drain it from half court? we'll see, i feel good about it. get out there boys,by far my most exciting season in 5 years. and thats after catching 62 fish last season in 7 trips. tight lines :mental:

#26 ·
In about an hour im haulin the boat down to waterville. Made a shore trip out of sunday before last. Caught 2 slots, 1 on topwater around lunch time and 1 on rubber at dark. I would have thought that would be the other way around but thats the nature of the striper, you never know. both fish came from a damn very close by to the picture striperman posted, but i wont say which one. ;) i fished the outputs with no success and tryed for shad by halifax park, half a dozen boats were constantly hooked up 20 yrds in front of me but i couldnt get a sniff,never fished them before but i tryed anyways. i literally only had 2 viable striper baits all day so i feel i did well. however its funny you post those pics, very first spot i went but didnt fish it because the fiancee couldnt get down the hill. I am now much more prepared. i will reside in maine for 12 more days. my best fish was a fluke 43" on the penobscot. i'm looking to best that today. conditions seem excellent, 5 years of practice for the final seconds of the game, can i drain it from half court? we'll see, i feel good about it. get out there boys,by far my most exciting season in 5 years. and thats after catching 62 fish last season in 7 trips. tight lines :mental:
Good Luck!! And be sure to post pics of your conquests.

#27 ·
Nice to see that guys are reading my posts...
I hope you are having some luck...
I've been fishing this stretch of river for quite a few years now...
There's a secret to catching stripers in this area..
Wish I could share it....
Here's a few 40 inchers we caught on Tuesday.. And a few 30 inch class...
St.Croix all the way...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.