clams as bait and catching huge eels - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 06-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Default clams as bait and catching huge eels

I tried casting clams from the shore. It seems like casting out a big snot. I didn't put any power behind my cast because I thought the bait would simply fling right off. It did. are you supposed to use them totally frozen? Only from a boat? I tried hooking it through the tough leathery portion, but there really didn't seem to be much of that.

I did catch a huge eel. maybe 3 feet long, 1.5" in diameter. Too big to cast out as bait. If I am catching eels, does that mean that those particular waters are prime for using eels as bait? I fish the back river which dumps into boston haba.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2008, 08:08 PM
First Mate

Default Re: clams as bait and catching huge eels

I'm the 1st person to admit that I don't know much of anything but...
If you have eels in the water then something is going to be feeding on them. As far as the size of the eel, many people believe the bigger the bait, the bigger the fish and I happen to agree with that. As far as the clam bait, I've heard of people using a cut up nylon stocking and a rubber band.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:46 PM
Official Member

A piece of dental floss or a small rubber band helps to keep the clam on the hook.
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2008, 01:53 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

First off the eel you caught was a female.....way to big for Stripers. The ones you buy in the bait store are males......the back river is an awesome place to use eels. I've honestly never had luck there myself with eels (I've only fished the river a total of maybe 15 times and most of the time I used plugs). BUT, my brother has landed some really really nice fish out of that river on eels. As far as the clams go....make sure your using a bait holding hook, the one with the barbs on it to hold the bait in place. I like to hook the "leathery" part of the clam multiple times then slide the soft part over the hook. This provides better hook sets and it allows you to cover up more of the hook just in case of line shy (hook shy) stripers. A brown rubber band works great here and is the perfect color to blend in with the clams. I would think that eels are a better choice of bait in the back river cause that's were they(eels) are primarily found....but I could be wrong. If your buying your clams from Fore River bait and tackle try to get the thawed out ones but DON'T LET HIM THAW THEM OUT FOR YOU. He'll put them in the microwave which is a no no for Striped bass who have super sensitive smelling abilities. The fresher the bait the better.....especially with clams. If all he has is frozen then take them as is.....they'll stay on the hook for the first cast but will thaw out after that.....bring some rubber bands.

Hope this helped......let us know how it goes

Last edited by MASSfisher0311; 06-13-2008 at 01:54 AM. Reason: I spell like a first grader
Old 06-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Official Member

for clams I use rubberized thread sewing dept. wal mart costs a buck
just use a bunch a raps don't need a knot works great
Old 06-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Striper Hunter

Another option for using clams is to tie them up in a small sack of netting like they do with salmon roe.

Brad
Old 07-24-2008, 07:24 PM

Has anyone tried tying herring as well? Will that work? I don't usually cast, I fish off a bridge.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:23 AM

was told today that kingfish work as striper bait, here in OCNJ you can catch kingfish fairly easily with bloodworms, any thoughts as them as bait?
Old 08-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Clams toss a lot easier with a "soft" rod too.
Smoothly and progresively increaseing the casting speed with the soft rod works best.
Pluggin rods of med to heavy action and fast tips are of no help with soft baits.
Soft baits and distance casting are at opposite ends of the spectrum.
Think "Toss" not "Cast".
Old 08-20-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayree
kingfish work as striper bait, here in OCNJ you can catch kingfish fairly easily with bloodworms, any thoughts as them as bait?
Any soft bodied fish thats ~ 1/3 (or is it 2/3) or less the size off a striper is a possible target for a striped bass. Like snapper blues and kingfish.
Cut spot and menhaden are what you can buy in the baitshops. .
Old 08-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

they will take the kingfish but that is not the PREVALENT bait in any area and if it were then perhaps the right ticket. you will clearly see what is the right bait of choice and would be a good idea to learn the bait choices for your area in any given time of the season. if most of your fishing is done off the beach then it would make sense to know what is the bait of choice for that particular time of the month as it varies but if they are into one type of forage for any particular time that is what is best to use or imitate. sitting with a kingfish on the line for the duration of it;s life on the hook with no apparent strike is because they just are not looking for it (not to say an easy target won;t get taken) but this time of year a bloody chunk or a smelly clam may be the better alternative. been there done that. i would invest in a cast net and in the bay or if you get proficient at it in the surf for mullet.p-nut bunker etc. here is where you will improve your chances with a live bait and a prevalent bait for your area. don't be afraid to ask someone to teach you how to use one as it is of no use if you don;t learn to throw it.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Young salt

I fish a lot with clams up here in OOB and they can be a pain in the ass. I've heard the rubber band/thread thing, tried it a few times without much luck. I'd imagine if ya use "rubber band" colored elastics to match the color of the clams you'd be fine. There's a lot to be said for the presentation of your bait, IMO I'd be hesitant using a big white rubber band......the again who knows? If ya get frozen clams, take them out the night before and put them in your fridge. The clams will thaw a LOT slower and have more consistency when you go to use them (throw them in a small cooler bag with ice packs when ya head to the beach). Or if ya have the means, head out to a flat/sandbar @ low tide and dig up a few of your own. Clams are much better right out of the shell while they still have all the muscle attached to them. The only other thing I could suggest is perhaps cutting down on the amount you're using at a time??? I've seen countless people load the hook up with enough clam to feed a small school of stripers....unnecessary IMO. Take the bellies and the "meaty" parts of the clams and cut them into slightly larger than bite sized pieces. Take whatever ya have left and cut it into strips. Double hook a meaty piece of clam (I use a 7/0.....u could use a 5 or 6 though) and then add one or two of the strips. The presentation of your bait fluttering in the surf as opposed to wadded up in ball will get ya more fish!!!! Good luck man, hope this helped ya out a little bit.

StriperHyper ~ WIll
Old 08-20-2008, 01:34 PM

Clams: sew the edges with your hook. (cartilage) Not together -just puncture and grasp another piece of the same clam and puncture. If you need to - use clam string or dental floss to wrap it.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

for the first timers. i did this and didn;t edit it well, so sue me.
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=14228

Old 10-04-2008, 08:45 AM
DiRtY Huh-Ka

holy crap thats a bigass eel !!!! did you throw it back?