Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Anyone fish the cape and islands

6K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  GBOUTDOORS 
#1 ·
New out here and just wondering if there are any fellow cape codders or islanders out here.

Team echo

#10 ·
I do fish the hooter

Unfortunately the only thing I ever find out there is 36 to 40 inch bass I

am constantly looking for the waitress with the "hooters" but i am yet to

find them.

No but really the hooter is a great place to fish when the waters around

the cape and Islands start to warm up. Not only that but 2 years ago you

could fish the hooter then head off shore another 10 miles or so and be

fishing for MAHI that was a fantastic summer spend the am with the wire

line jigging for bass then steam off for 30 min or so and then start

chunking for mahi and trolling for little bluefin on the way home. That

was the fishing version of THE ENDLESS SUMMER!!!

#13 ·
RE: Length of wire

I run 300 feet of 40 lb wire I run a dacron split in the middle and a sparo swivel between the wire and the backing. The sparo swivels wind on no problem and the wire holds up better w/ out the twists. I mostley fish the bottom w/ bucktails in 30 feet of water at a trolling speed of about 3 knots. The split in the middle lets me also jig in 15 to 20 feet and not jig on the wire. I hand jig meaning I leave the rod in the holder and hold the dacron backing in my hand and just jig that. I hope this will help you.

#14 ·
i fished the bay in truro right infront of days cottges on the outflow pipe from high tide till dead low. great fishing because the herring come out the pipe from the brackish lake across rt6.best times were middle of june.I caught a few keepers out of there.bucktails,eels,bombers.

#16 ·
I used to have a beach house in Truro... :( ...I wish I had it now...

...Thanks Echo...That was the setup I was thinking about...
...What knots do you use for: wire to swivel, Dacron to swivel and wire to Dacron???...I was gonna use a Haywire Twist and then splice the Dacron into a loop...

#21 ·
TeamEcho I fish Westport to Cuttyhunk and the Vinyard. I was raised on Nashawenai Island and spent manny hours fishing Cuttyhunk as a young man. I use to do lots of shore and surf fishing but now like the roll of the waves under the boat far better. We still have a mouring pole in Cuttyhunk harbor and land at the top of the hill by the water tower if you have ever been on the Island you know where I meen. Hope to fish the Island much more this coming season. I did get some nice fish at the Pigs last fall with the largest at 51" did not have a scale on board so did not get the weight. I will look up a pic. and post later. hope to see you out there this spring.GB

#23 ·
Team we had a few ask back in the late 80s if they could buy a lot and at that time they offered 500,000.00 but we did not sell and do not think we ever will at this point. My uncle was a charter fisherman on Cuttyhunk in the 50s and 60s. The land was his and he left it to the family. The mouring pole was his and has stayed in the family ever since. I had not been to the island for 18 years and had stopped fishing while the family was growing up. But now they are both out on thier own so we bought a boat and started going back to the island 3 years ago and back into striper fishing.

#25 ·
Eh fishguts,,

I see you mention fishing in Truro. Do you mean Truro ,Nova Scotia? I live bout 20 miles from there, but them cottages you mention don't sound familar. How far up the seaboard has a striper been caught yet?? I was down to the bay yesterday for a couple hours but only got a few tommycod. Usually don't get any stripers untill middle of May. We don't seem to have as many bigger stripers as you guys have along the coast of the US. I'm trying some new gear this year so I hope to have a better season. Most of the techiques you guys use are unheard of here. I tried to buy circle hooks here ,but no one sold them here, got some coming off ebay. Pete Santini sent me a Santini Tube to try{wouldn't take any money, thanks again Pete}. Most people fish with a 2oz weight on the end of the line with a couple of 1 foot leaders hanging down back 1 and 2 feet back from weight. Chunk of mackerel or herring on each hook and throw it out and wait . Anyway, any reports on most northern caught stripers would be great.
Dobb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.