Trolling for lake stripers? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > South Carolina - Interior
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 10-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Official Member

Default Trolling for lake stripers?

Hopefully these question aren't to stupid but i have some ideas i would like to throw at ya..

I am a saltwater troller,so here is something i was thinking about we use teasers when we troll bluewater,would they work on stripers,do they come to the surface to chase bait or do they always stay deep?

we also pull dredges,same idea as U-rigs but u-rigs are smaller how about making a couple of huge u-rigs to use as dredges?

deep down live bait is king but do to the size of my boat that will be very difficult to do(no way to stop the wind from blowing me around)..

so it looks like i will stuck trolling hard baits.

thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 12:33 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Trolling for lake stripers?

GW,I know a guy that uses live bait for hybrids and puts a tube jig body like they use for largemouth(just the plastic,no hook) about 2 foot above the hook/live herring and says it works,sorta a teaser I reckon.The lake stripers will push bait to the top,a lot of fish are caught casting to schools but if you'd try to troll thru them,they would go down before you got to them,you still might pick some up not on top.as for the dredges,I dont know if bigger is better,most lake fish might average 5 lb or so,depending on where you are.The umbrella rigs are used a lot in some lakes,I have some small"crappie sized" u rigs,only 8 inches across,I havent used them.I know some fellas the troll soft plastics with a 3/8 oz lead head in the summer at wateree and they do very well,the fix it up like a carolina rig with either a 1.5 oz or 2 oz piece of lead,then bout two ft of leader and then the bait/jig,they have a method figgered out,,,X amount of line out going a certian speed equals a certain depth.most fish caught there in the summer months are no deeper than 16 ft,so they dont have to get real deep,compared to summertime lake murray fish wich are caught 60 plus down.A lot of trollers at murray,some have downriggers,others use leadcore line.(midlands striper club).I am usually a live bait guy myself most of the time.The trolling will cover more water faster.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:15 AM
Official Member

Thumbs up Re: Trolling for lake stripers?

Thanks for the reply..

I would think with cooler temps in the winter the fish would be shallower,so maybe a teaser setup would work better at that time..may give it a try..

I should have plenty of time to to see..just wish we would get some rain to help fill Lake Hartwell up some....
Old 11-13-2008, 10:56 PM
yo quiero fishtaco

I do that ! I normally cast to boils the first hour
and when thereis no boils I start trolling
normally I'll use a u rig these days that the lake stripers are after shad
later I'll use a spreader bar with a couple of trout looking lures

I got these last monday Nov 10
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stripers uno y dos.JPG
Views:	604
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	8407   Click image for larger version

Name:	striper uno.JPG
Views:	670
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	8408   Click image for larger version

Name:	striper.JPG
Views:	552
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	8409  
Old 11-29-2008, 04:50 PM
First Mate

Heres two that decided to bite at the same time slow trolling live bait behind planerboards.Got six total for "black friday" at lake wateree SC.sam
Old 12-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Striper Hunter

Those are some nice fish!
I had no idea you could catch something that big in a lake in the mountains. I guess that shows Ive been on the coast my whole life.
Those fish are bigger than the ones we are pulling out of the sound.
Good job!