Menhaden Action - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News > Stripers Forever
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers Forever This is a new forum dedicated to Stripers Forever and it's mission to make the Striped Bass a gamefish. You will find all the releases and info from Stripers Forever here. Please help support S.F. and it's cause!

Old 06-07-2006, 03:38 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Default Menhaden Action

Stripers Forever ? while our focused mission is make striped bass a game fish, SF has consistently supported efforts to control the harvest of menhaden in Chesapeake Bay. Menhaden are a critically important food for stripers as well as filter feeders that play a role in cleaning the waters of the Bay. Last year the Atlantic States Marine Fishery Commission, a 15-state commission that regulates shared fisheries on the East Coast, mandated that Virginia implement a harvest cap on their landings of menhaden. Many observers feel that the cap is far too generous to be of any real value, but it is an attempt to begin exerting at least some control on the harvest of this forage fish that is so vital to striped bass.
Virginia's legislature has refused to act on this regulation and leadership is needed from Governor Tim Kaine to make it happen. All who love striped bass have a stake in this issue, and tourism angling is a big business for VA. So we are asking our members to write Governor Kaine today. Here is his contact information, including an email contact link for Virginia residents. If you are using the email contact form, cut and paste the body of the letter into the message section of the form. Otherwise you can cut and paste the sample letter into a Word document and send it by regular USPS mail.

Governor Tim Kaine
Patrick Henry Building 3rd Floor
1111 East Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia 23219
Phone: (804) 786-2211
Fax: (804) 371-6351

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/Abo...ctGovernor.cfm

Sample letter ?
Governor Tim Kaine
1111 East Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia 23219
Dear Governor Kaine:
I fish for striped bass, and I know the value that menhaden have for this very popular fishery, as well as to other fish and wildlife. Menhaden are also important living filters for Chesapeake Bay waters. I urge you to act as soon as possible to implement the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) decision to cap the industrial harvest of menhaden in the Chesapeake Bay.~ The cap, which is based on sound science, will maintain the catch at recent levels while the status of menhaden's ecological role is examined.~ This is certainly a reasonable precautionary measure.~ Please act today.
Sincerely,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006, 09:21 PM

Please go to the governers email link and send him your thoughts. It only takes a few minutes.
My letter to the Governor

Dear Governor Kaine:
I live in the State of Pennsylvania, and I know that Menhaden are also important filters for Chesapeake Bay waters. I urge you to act as soon as possible to implement the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) decision to cap the industrial harvest of menhaden in the Chesapeake Bay. The cap, will maintain the catch at recent levels while the status of menhaden's ecological role is examined. All the fish that have rebounded in recent years, not just the striped bass, fish like spiny dogfish and bluefish depend on the bunker as staple. It may be just the most important fish in the bay for its filter feeding properties. It boggles my mind that a state would ignore federal regulations. This is sound science not speculation. Any fishermen in New England will tell you how the menhaden used to be plentiful in New England and last year Rhode Island even seen a few after years of seeing none. Is it Coincidental? Was the industrial fleet skittish about an absolute moratorium on the fish? The Chesapeake Bay is filthy. This is certainly a reasonable precautionary measure.~ Please act today.
Sincerely,
Old 06-10-2006, 10:29 AM

That's right Jim - here's my letter

Governor Tim Kaine
1111 East Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia 23219

Re: Implement the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) mandate to cap menhaden harvest

Dear Governor Kaine:

I live in Florida and travel to Virginia, and many other Atlantic coastal states to fish and coordinate sport-fishing programs. I?m sure you are aware of the contribution recreational fishing makes not only to the economy of Virginia (over $655 million in 2004), but to neighboring states. The most recent information from the Virginia Institute of Marine Science shows approximately thirty percent of those fishing activities are linked to the species dependent on Menhaden as a major dietary component.

Menhadden are key to the health of gamefish and the fishing activities we enjoy. Menhaden are also important living filters for Chesapeake Bay waters. I urge you to act as soon as possible to implement the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) decision to cap the industrial harvest of menhaden in the Chesapeake Bay.~ The cap, which is based on sound science, will maintain the catch at recent levels while the status of menhaden's ecological role is examined.~ This is certainly a reasonable precautionary measure.~ Please act today.

Sincerely,