Two hook or stinger style for live bait? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-10-2014, 12:31 PM
First Mate

Default Two hook or stinger style for live bait?

Hello everybody, just trying to gauge how many of you run with a two hook or stinger rig when using live bait. I'm heading into my second season and have learned a ton through my mistakes (the best way to learn). My father and I ran all circle hooks last year with good success except hooking up with live bait. Admitingly we paid no attention to the offset of the circle hook and its relationship to the baits direction but I've lived and I've learned. Needless to say we had probably half a dozen solid runs with live bait with 0 hookups. Now I doubt we had every bait hooked wrong but I'm not counting that out. I look at my options like this... 6/0 circle resulted in no hookups so should I just to with a larger circle hook? 8/0? Part of me wants to think that a dual hook stinger rig with traditional J hooks would be the most effective. Or is it as simple as paying attention to the hooks offset in relationship to baits swimming direction?
Edit: is bridling your bait overkill or common practice on the hudson?

Last edited by PhillipHols; 04-10-2014 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Forgot question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 01:21 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Two hook or stinger style for live bait?

How long are you letting the fish run with the bait and how are you hooking them? A single 6/0 should be fine.

I use a single hook through top of head and let them run for 20-30 seconds and have a high hookup %
Old 04-10-2014, 01:42 PM
First Mate

I let them run long enough to know there swimming away from me. Some have hung on for a second like they were hooked and then there gone. We have been hooking them just in front of the dorsal fin. Sounds like I need to give them more time or perhaps changed hook locations? I know where they are hooked effects how they swim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 03:13 PM
First Mate

Maybe this isn't your problem, but one of the issues with circle hooks is lost fish due to setting of the hook. If you jerk to set it like with a J hook you can easily pull it right out of their mouth. The fish should be allowed to run and just let them set themselves, once you feel the hook bite, THEN you can set the hook. If, however, that is not your problem, then try letting them run a little longer. Sometimes it takes them a little to adjust the bait to where they actually want to eat it. Using a J hook as a stinger might help (it would certainly provide you with other opportunities to get a hook into the fish) though if you prefer catch-and-release then a single circle hook is still the best way to ensure a healthy release.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:33 PM
First Mate

Ill keep the live bait on my bait runner reel then and give them a little more time. I'm well adjusted to circle hooks, they do a great job on trout in reservoirs and have worked well with worms and chunk bait for stripers also. I don't set the hook, I pretty much lift the rod and reel in any slack if necessary. Typically on my chunk set up there just about hooked before I get to the rod.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:51 PM
First Mate

Additionally, I've found that a striper running with live bait will usually slow or stop to adjust the bait in their mouth then take off again. Wait for the pause before clicking off the bait runner.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:39 PM
absolute trophy hunter

I used to run a stinger rig on chunk and dead bait but to my suprise, didn't seem to improve hook up ratio. I didn't run it on live because it hampers the bait to much..I've seemed to get better hook ups using 8/0 circles and lettin em run 15 seconds or more. I figure if ya feed em the bait and miss em it musta been small and I feel better about it.m I also snell my hooks, helps keep the hook in postion and not turning back into the bait. Also one very important thing is once you click the nait runner off let's the fish tighten the line good, it'll set it self. Softer rods work much better for circles, I preffere 8 footers with a good tip to load up and hook the fish
Old 04-10-2014, 10:19 PM
First Mate

Snelling is new to me this season but I've got them down. Easiest knot to tie with the stiff 40lb fluoro leader and there darn pretty. Sounds like ill keep trying with the single circle hooks, I appreciate all the tips guys. Sounds like I'm not too far off, just a couple of the finer points is all I needed. I can't wait. What day next week do you think the run will turn on? I feel like its a matter of days now. No matter what were getting the boat wet on Sunday and then were truly ready to to
Old 04-10-2014, 11:49 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipHols View Post
Snelling is new to me this season but I've got them down. Easiest knot to tie with the stiff 40lb fluoro leader and there darn pretty. Sounds like ill keep trying with the single circle hooks, I appreciate all the tips guys. Sounds like I'm not too far off, just a couple of the finer points is all I needed. I can't wait. What day next week do you think the run will turn on? I feel like its a matter of days now. No matter what were getting the boat wet on Sunday and then were truly ready to to

I'm certainly no expert, but I just can't see it really turning on till the water temps increase. But I have some frozen bait from last year, and chomping at the bit realllly bad. Might just go out this weekend myself and at least enjoy a few beers on the water.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:27 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
It won't be a few days, more like a few weeks. There will be a few weeks of random smaller scout fish before the big schools come in and even then the real big fish will come later. As for the hooking up part. I use a big circle hook and don't even have any bait runners. The fish hook themselves every time. I just pick up the rod and reel. I catch 90% of the bites I catch but I also only use whole herring and rarely catch small fish under 15 lbs.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:33 AM
First Mate

I was referring to the start of the run more or less. I understand how it progresses. Last year I was out before most other fisherman with some success with fish up to 23" using bloodworms. I've taken off of work the first full week in may for some hard fishing during what I hope is near the peak of the run. The dates are the 5-11 I believe.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:09 AM
First Mate

Quote:
I was referring to the start of the run more or less. I understand how it progresses. Last year I was out before most other fisherman with some success with fish up to 23" using bloodworms. I've taken off of work the first full week in may for some hard fishing during what I hope is near the peak of the run. The dates are the 5-11 I believe.

I think you picked a good time to take off work. I still believe its not going to turn on till the end of april.. then again, wth do i know? lol
Old 04-15-2014, 01:52 PM
Striper Hunter

I love the idea of circle hooks and have used them on Grouper in the keys.We fished them vertical and off the bottom because you don't want the grouper to make it back down and cut you off on coral or rocks. My problem in the river is when the tide is going out the Stipers are running up under the boat or to the side and the angle is wrong between the rod and the current. Most often they drop the bait by the time the line straitens out and there is enough tension for them to set the circle hook. I would like to hear what you think and if I am making sense?
Old 04-15-2014, 03:19 PM
Striper Hunter

The Gamakatsu 8/0 circles are pretty reliable for me.

I picked up some off brand snelled circles from a nearby bait shop and the owner told me he didn't like them because of how many times he'd missed hooking up. Sure enough, I got a run on one of those snells, let it run good and missed! Grrrr! No problem with the Gama's tho.

Also, I hook liveys thru the roof of the mouth--good for casting and none of that pesky double back hooking. Don't hook 'em in the brain though...that seems to affect their longevity!

Finally, I started out with 6/0's but when I brought in my first striper I thought that hook looked awfully small! 8/0's seem to be the right scale, but 6/0's will work.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:16 PM
First Mate

I solely use circle hooks when I fish bait, and I have done so from shore, and from the kayak on the river. I have had success with 6/0 and 8/0 (though smaller fish sometimes will miss with the 8/0) I won't say I haven't lost fish on runs...but most of the time the hook finds its way into the fish's jaw. Side note....Jeremy Wade uses circle hooks when fishing in rivers.