Virginia Cows - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > DelMarVA
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

DelMarVA Delaware, Maryland, Virginias, the Delaware River and Bay, Chesapeake Bay area. Regional discussion & reports.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Official Member

Default Virginia Cows

As soon as I finished giving my English exams yesterday I merked outta school and headed to the Eastern Shore where a whole gang of ‘yakers had been fishing the ‘Ships since dawn. Arrived to find wind gusting to 15 out of the NW and the ‘yakers huddled in the parking lot after getting beaten off the water. Kevin had landed a 43 earlier in the day, but no one had caught anything since. Took care of some photos I needed to get and putzed around the parking lot while most of the guys packed up to call it a day. After an hour, the wind seemed to be dropping out and Kevin, Chad, and I decided to head out and give it a shot. Good Call. Worked the ships from the North group to the South group where Chad hooked up a double and decked this one for pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1_fisherman.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	10525

Then I pulled into Chad’s spot and hooked a monster but after a long, crazy fight, pulled it off at the ‘yak. Paddled back in and hooked another that I managed to get to the boat.

After that, Kevin and I worked the ships for the rest of the day into the night. I got three more and lost a couple – including one of a double. Kevin ended up with 6 including a 45 and this 46.

Left around 10. What a fishery. Mad props to Kevin for blowing the top off this one. If he hadn’t thrown over an eel while shooting the breeze with the Dudes a couple weeks ago – these fish would have been safe and happy. It is now easier to catch a 40 inch striper at the Ships than a 14 incher at the HRBT. Less paddling. Less current. Less weather. Amazing. We're working a live eel on a 9/0 Owner J-hook. Use a 1 to 2 ounce inline sinker between leader and mainline. Drop the bait to the bottom then crank up a few turns. Sit int the eddies of the ships - work the areas where two ships meet. Fighing one of these beasts is totally outta control – pandemonium. They pull you into the ships, through the ships, around the ships. A couple times a fish would make a run that almost flipped me out of my ‘yak. Madness. Hope it lasts.

Check out kayakkevin.com for video of the madness in a couple days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Virginia Cows

You Guys are TOUGH! :)
That kayak fishing does weird things, man, weird!
I've yet to catch a striper from yak, Smack Tackle owns my OK 15 Prowler, but I'll be back in it from time to time.
These ships, are they anchored, sunk, ????
And are you referring to inches or lbs, when you say 45, 46?
(like that matters, those are fine bassie's, no matter what!)
Glad I checked in to the kayak forum!
LMJ
Old 02-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Official Member

The ships were sunk 300 yards from shore after the War to make a breakwater for the Ferry. Ferry was replaced by the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel so the facilities has been turned into a park, pier, and launch ramp. We measure our fish in inches since most of them are released. Did the math on the 46 and it probably weighed 48 pounds. You ain't kidding about weird things. These fish were in the structure so they were pulling us into barnacle encrusted concrete, throught the gaps in the ship, around in circles - one almost pulled me overboard because my drag was too tight. Wild! Hope they return next year!

R
Old 02-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Lunker

Chesapeake Bay Fall Season .........................................................October 4 through December 31
........................................Minimum Size Limit................................................ 18 inches
........................................Maximum Size Limit * ......................................... 28 inches
........................................Possession Limit..................................................... 2 per person
Old 02-16-2007, 11:59 PM

Had to look over your shoulder to see the rusty ship, thanks for the fall season dates, what's the spring season look like? I have children north of Baltimore, and a friend on DelMarVa at Chincoteague, I need to bring yak out one more time and give this another try!
Old 02-17-2007, 12:19 PM

those are some nicce fish congrats
Old 04-26-2009, 06:57 AM

Damn dude, I thought I was awesome and a fishing junkie...lol
but you I hate to admit are a badass...lol
Love your style bro, always wanted to fish from a kayak or canoe after reading a book about catching Tarpon from Canoes, ever heard about it? its called The Marquesas. Anyhow would love to learn more and how and where I could pick up on your action adventure..lol
Thanks for keeping fishing on the edge...lol
peace
the Striper Hunter
Old 04-26-2009, 09:38 PM
First Mate

YAY!!!
Go get em!

Man I can't wait. I don't even know how to get my kayak on my truck yet.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:38 PM

Kayak Kevin and his crew are the baddest MOFO ever,
I emailed Kevin and he was so generous with info and extremely open and helpful, a rarity in fishermen...lol
Hopefully I can bribe you guys to take me out some day, as my only fishermen/best friend died several years ago, and fishing alone is getting very old, went fishing on the Potomac Sunday and found out that an 11 yrs old and a fishermen trying to save him, both drowned...sad
Keep your dream alive guys, its a short life
live your adventures to the fullest.
thanks for the inspiration guys,
Joe The Striper hunter
Old 04-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Striper Hunter

Joe, what happened? I grew up in McLean and used to fish under Chain Bridge all the time.