Keeping clams on the hook? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Delaware River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Delaware River A Forum for The Delaware River guys.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Dumb luck fisherman

Default Keeping clams on the hook?

So, this past weekend was crazy with the amount of bait we went through because of the bait stealers on the river. I was using the elastic stuff from the bait shop that looks like dental floss, but the clams still were disappearing left and right. I've heard something about women's pantyhose being used but I'm looking for some advise to see if there's a "right" way to use them. No sence in reinventing the wheel IMO. I'm kinda surprised, there's not a YouTube video on it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 10:37 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Keeping clams on the hook?

Never tried them myself, but I guess you just pull them up. Just make sure they're large enough - don't want them to cut off the circulation, if you know what I mean. One look at you, and I'm sure those pesky bait stealers will be headed for the next county...
Old 04-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Dumb luck fisherman

I dunno if it's the rum...but I'm laughing like an idiot over here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 11:59 PM
Have not posted yet

I use the tiny rubber bands used for braces. You can get them in a pharmacy or from your dentist. The bands are tiny which is great for keeping the clam solid on your hook.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:08 AM
Striper Hunter

Try the tiny rubber bands that are used on braces.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:53 AM
Dumb luck fisherman

I will be giving that a try also...hopefully this weekend!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by natenlogansdad View Post
So, this past weekend was crazy with the amount of bait we went through because of the bait stealers on the river. I was using the elastic stuff from the bait shop that looks like dental floss, but the clams still were disappearing left and right. I've heard something about women's pantyhose being used but I'm looking for some advise to see if there's a "right" way to use them. No sence in reinventing the wheel IMO. I'm kinda surprised, there's not a YouTube video on it!
Clams are a b**ch to keep on the hook, I've tried the elastic band/cheese cloth/pantyhose method but I just can't get over the presentation factor. Maybe it's all in my head, I'm sure if a fish was hungry enough they'd take it but I feel like I'm decreasing my chances. An old timer I fish with showed me a trick that won't fix your problem but will delay the process a little bit. Take a bag/package/tub of frozen clams, put them in a bowl of hot water a couple hours before you go out and change the water every 20 minutes or so. The clams will start to cook a little bit, lose some of their color and become rubbery/tough. They'll be a bit harder to put on the hook but also harder to rip off. Give it a try, couldn't hurt.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Frozen salted clam r tuff as nails jus use them if u don't want to change bait to say big chunks of fish I personally don't use string pantyhose and deff wouldn't never cook them I would think tht would decrease the smell of it bein a fresh clam If bait stealers r a problem one day just switch baits there's so many other options then trying to screw with a natural bait presentation. I seen the string an pantyhose work when bass r actively feeding usually on the beach front but in our river the bass r not in large schools as they would be on the beach. Just switch baits or put up with the pesky perch and catfish, or cut ya clams down the middle and double the number of clams u have.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:59 PM
MUZZY

Quote:
Originally Posted by natenlogansdad View Post

The item your talking about is mostly used by Catfishermen to keep Chicken Liver on hooks. You cut womens pantyhose into 2" X 2" or 3" X 3" squares. Put the liver or Clams on it and hook the 4 corners over the hook point. You can also use cheesecloth.
If you go to utube and search for "catfish pantyhose" there are some videos there.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu fish View Post
and deff wouldn't never cook them I would think tht would decrease the smell of it bein a fresh clam
I hear what you're saying mu, I've thought the same thing but they aren't really cooked, per se, just the very beginning of the process where they lose a little color and become tougher/more rubbery. I've fished with them many times after setting them in the hot water and the bass don't seem to mind/notice a difference, caught many a fish this way over the last several years. To me though the presentation thing would be a deal breaker.....wrapping them in pantyhose/cheese cloth and to a much lesser degree, tying a rubber band around them, just couldn't bring myself to do it again. If the fish are actively feeding they'd probably hit it regardless but on those slow summer nights when trying to entice a bite I'd imagine they dont get a second look.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Striperhyper I'm a take ya word on tht if it works for u my opinion is irrelevant lol I always buy more bait than need most trips anyway so I using it the good old fashion way and jus get on the move if the pesky bait stealers r around
Old 04-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu fish View Post
Striperhyper I'm a take ya word on tht if it works for u my opinion is irrelevant lol I always buy more bait than need most trips anyway so I using it the good old fashion way and jus get on the move if the pesky bait stealers r around
There is something to be said for throwing a LOT of clam/mackerel/herring in the same spot/area all night long IMO, I wish I had the mental will to do so but the number of crabs where I fish make it very difficult. Crabs on you're bait all night can be a PITA BUT, they're also ripping/chewing/tearing that bait apart and over the course of several hours, creating a good amount of scent in the water and subsequently attracting larger fish. Just another theory, makes sense though I guess when ya think about it. Me personally, I'll stick to floating them worms 2 at a time and maximizing my chances.