Striper Swipers... Tail Slaps - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:20 AM

Default Striper Swipers... Tail Slaps

I HATE Them.. i caught a few blues yesterday and i swear my striper swiper was getting tail slapped every 4th or 5th cast by big stripers. then theyd jsut go away.. now heres my quesiotn.
after getting slapped by a striper do you keep the same retrieve? slow it a little? leave it be so the momma thinks she concussed the bunker? i tried all 3 and could not hook up with that. but they were very interested.
also i remember reading somehwere only the older (bigger) fish slap their prey. Is this true? cuz then ill be real upset. thanks. this is from a boat in the western sound.

also not sure on fluke regs. i thought it was 18.. we threw back a 20inch fluke yesterday. i also dont know how to filet them. thanks boys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2006, 10:48 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Tail slaps, thats how big bass stun their prey,unlike small bass that attack a bait with their mouths, try changing the retrieve, drop the rod tip a little and change direction and speed, just like the bait was wounded, most people strike too fast, someone that delays on a surface strike isnt showing their age or ineptitude, they are showing their experience.

Ever watch a bass work a live lined pogy or Mackerel, they will chase torment and play with it, but once they slap the bait, drop the rod tip and get ready!

Same holds true for plugs and live eels at night, often times big bass will slap at bait with their tails, then turn and bolt the bait down head first..delay your response and your hookup ratio will improve dramaticly
Old 06-05-2006, 11:14 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Oh man I've seen it so many times lol. The Stunner lol. I was throwing a little Chug Bug last week out in the maaaahsh at dusk, and watching the schoolies come up swipe at it or smack it. I could see their bodies come up quick, then bend themselves under it to swim back down so quickly. They do it with 10 feet of ya, enough to clearly see em. Little shits Quite fun to watch though. Eventually I got 2 of them to hit by changing my retrieve....I slowed it back down again, but added a pause after 3 chugs. They mouthed it on the pause. I also noticed most if not all of the strikes came when I was "properly" popping tha popper, and by that I mean it was making that distinct "bloop...bloop...bloop" sound when being chugged. Hard sound to imitate on the board, but I am sure ya catch my drift. It seems that distinct sound helps to "call them up". I always make sure I can get that sound when trying out a new popper style.

I have missed many a larger fish on larger popper styles. Big ass boils under it or around, sometimes a Stunner tail slap thrown in lol. I have gotten some monster boils off tha Whores Bed on big poppers, but I guess they decided to move along. I'll get em back someday!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2006, 03:25 PM

Thanks guys. I tried jsut letting it sit for a second after then reeling it in slower.. no action. but im definitely not giving up on it. people love those lures too so. any luck with them at night? ive got some for night fishing. but i may toss that one around too.. maybe a live eel or two tonight too wish me luck
Old 06-05-2006, 03:36 PM

They were doing it to me Sat morning. I tried every trick in the book to get em to hit but all I could come up with were a few scales - Frustrating as %@$#

I'll bet that if I had a few rigged sluggos with me one tossed to the spot of a tail slap and allowed to slowly sink woulda tricked one of the bastages.
Unfortunately I had left em back in the truck - my bad
Old 06-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Jigologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy
I'll bet that if I had a few rigged sluggos with me one tossed to the spot of a tail slap and allowed to slowly sink woulda tricked one of the bastages.
Unfortunately I had left em back in the truck - my bad
I've had that work for me many times.. a couple twitches then let it die and BOOM!
Old 06-05-2006, 05:24 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

the only thing worse than a tail slap is when they go after it and miss. My buddie and I had a few large Stripers come out of the water Memorial day weekend trying to get our poppers it was a cool sight, and the splash they make. We also had a few schoolies doing acrobatics after getting hooked, I guess they thought they were tarpon or Marlin.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:20 AM

Have a second rod ready and rigged with a Smiling bucktail and curltail or pork rind or a swimmer like a Bomber. Drop it right on his head and you'll have a bass on.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:50 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

What I don't like is when they get foul hooked from the slapping.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:15 AM

i would accept that. and id drag that bastard in by his tail.. lol.. anyway. last ngiht i got out a little late.. right as the sun was going down. as i was dropping anchor i hear fish on from the back of the baot. my friend rich is new to fishing. so i mosey on over and the rods bent in half .. and that was the one with a huge bunker head on it. so after about 15 minutes i drag in a 40in fat cow : ) no action on the eels except the ones that got bit in half by the blue beasts. no other action on the night either.. gotta get out at least an hour before sunset.