Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Capt Neil Faulkner 
#1 ·
The finish on my surf rod is coming off. It is a 10' custom E-Glass. How or what do I need to fix it. If I do not fix it will it hurt my rod?

#4 ·
No it's not from being thrashed in the surf.:5068:I had a great time fishing with you guys we'll have to do it again. I believe it's from riding on the rusted ladder rack on my girlfriend's pickup without padding.

#7 ·
Hi Gang,

I have had fiberglass surf rods brought to me to be refinished. Believe me when I say this. The woven material was totally exposed over 95% of the blank.

I sanded it a bit and scraped off what finish was remaining using a single edge razor blade held at 90* to the blank.

The blank has to be perfectly clean before applying finish or else bubble areas will arrive where the finish can not attach itself to the blank. I wipe the blank with Xylene of Xylol and then do not touch the areas to be coated.

Permagloss is the way to go but I can not use that product. When I used it I always applied the finsh outdoors and it instantly gave me a headache, a warning that it was not for me.

I use Aftcote finish. It's pot life is longer than Flexcoat and it does not cure as hard as Flexcoat, it remains flexible so no guide foot cracking.

Flexcoat is used by many builders very sucessfully and for many many years. They have learned to work with it. I do use it for repairs when guys are in a hurry.

Capt Neil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.