Kayak fihsing joppa flats - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 08-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Kayak fihsing joppa flats

I wanna try kayak fishing joppa flats. im gonna live line eels and try to find some baitfish and snag them. im just wondering what else i need to know. are there any bluefish in joppa flats ever?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Kayak fihsing joppa flats

Respect the guys in real boats. Give them plenty of room and stay out of their drift/troll lane. Make sure you have a compass and know how to use it. Pay attention to the currents & tides. If you can go with someone who is experienced there, you're much better off. Always wear a life vest and stay safe
Old 08-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
Respect the guys in real boats. Give them plenty of room and stay out of their drift/troll lane. Make sure you have a compass and know how to use it. Pay attention to the currents & tides. If you can go with someone who is experienced there, you're much better off. Always wear a life vest and stay safe
ok so i have a compass. i plan on going during the day. but idk where to start. i dont wanna end up in a strong current and not b able to kayak out of. and i wanna try flounder. are there any places in the river that have flounder that arent near the mouth. and do bluefish ever come up to joppa flats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2011, 03:20 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

for bass and blues troll a tube and worm by day, eels by night.... blues show periodicaly during the summer , but rarely stay more than a few tide changes... the water in joppa is very warm now, mid to high 70's...unless you fish near the channel... not advised in your 'yak... the edge of the river channel between the AYC and kayak launch may have a few flounder and fluke.. you'll want to probe this area on the incoming tide... be very carefull there is a strong tide rip there outside the mooring area...
Old 08-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
for bass and blues troll a tube and worm by day, eels by night.... blues show periodicaly during the summer , but rarely stay more than a few tide changes... the water in joppa is very warm now, mid to high 70's...unless you fish near the channel... not advised in your 'yak... the edge of the river channel between the AYC and kayak launch may have a few flounder and fluke.. you'll want to probe this area on the incoming tide... be very carefull there is a strong tide rip there outside the mooring area...
what do you mean by kayak launch? is that the salisbury beach place. thats where me and my frind launched his baot. and that huge area known as the flats thats about2-7 feet. is that kayak safe. is it noticable where u the channel(current) is and if i get caught in a current shud i go sideways towards the flats. whattabout that river type thing behind plum island? and r there maps you can buy that show currents depending on tides?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Striper Hunter

Dont worry about the blues, get a bogo grip and youre fine..

Also you dont want to get nervous and panic if you were to get caught, and dont go completly sideways you might tip over and lose all your gear... try a 45 degree angle going with the current to shore, or where ever is the closet safe spot
Old 08-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubz14 View Post
Dont worry about the blues, get a bogo grip and youre fine..

Also you dont want to get nervous and panic if you were to get caught, and dont go completly sideways you might tip over and lose all your gear... try a 45 degree angle going with the current to shore, or where ever is the closet safe spot
thanks. now the edges of jopps flats where the marsh is. are there fish up in there/ and how shud i take on bigger waves. like if a 36-50 footer is going through the channel outta the harbour shud i try kayaking away form teh sweel. going at it. staying puy. or taking it on sideways.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:36 PM

If there is a larger wave approaching you, whether from a boat's wake or ocean swell, it is best to head either straight into it, or at a slight angle. Some will say a 45 degree angle, but I feel that is too much most of the time. Either way, allowing a large wave to catch you from behind or directly from the side is a recipe for a capsizing.

Also, as we approach fall and the water temps start to cool, please remember to dress for the water temps, not the air temps. When the water is cold, failure to dress with that in mind could lead to hypothermia and death if you should capsize. I wear either neoprene waders and a good dry top, or a 7mm wetsuit when kayaking in cold water. Before the water gets too cold, find a sheltered area and practice self rescue - getting back into the kayak without assistance after capsizing. You need to be comfortable with that maneuver so that when it happens for real you will know how to handle the situation without panicking.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Striper Hunter

I fished the flats a few years back, its a good place, in the spring you can see guys lined up all across the edge of the drop-off, for a good 200-300 yards. Also try some light tackle, cocaho minnow, storm shad, and if you travel way up feel free to try some small poppers. Also for some good action try going up the road a little bit and put the yak in by the bridge, just be wary of the current because at times it is a little strong.

May have had a run in with a sturgeon there years back bouncing a jig on the bottom in my yak, thought I had bottom, but was quickly spooled on the lighter tackle.