trolling eels-kayak style - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Kayaking Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Kayaking Stripers A forum for the YAK'rs out there.

Old 10-14-2004, 09:34 PM

Default trolling eels-kayak style

I use a stiff rod 1-6oz and conventional reel (penn 535 6:1) and power pro 50lbs. I slide a 1/4 oz egg weight on main line and then tie main line to the large Sampo ball bearing swivel. I use 50lb-80lb mono leader around 4 to 5 feet. I use 8/0 cirlce hooks or 8/0 regular gamagatsu hooks on the end of leader. I prefer big eels 12"-18". A 20lber will gobble this up no problem. Push the hook under the chin or mouth and out thru the left or right eye. I use improved clinch knots on everything but that is the anglers choice.

I let out as much line as possible but usually ends up 30-40 yards behind yak. Your trolling speed should be a crawl or if possible a drift. Just enough to take up slack and allow the kayak to have movement. I troll with rod holder up front to watch the action. I troll in areas loaded with structure, especially lobster, crab beds, boulders, mussels beds etc. The fish finder realy helps with this. I leave my drag tight but not tight enough to have a break off. When you are trolling, and watching your rod up front you will see it bounce up and down and then stop, continue your speed and put on your seat belt. That bass will come back and take it so hard it will be incredible. If you grab your rod and lay a set and keep your rod high you will be on. Some oldtimers say when they troll eels and see the rod dancing up and down the bass just whacked it with it's tail and then comes back for it. Who knows. All I know is this method works. I have trolled eels thoughout this season and have nailed many big bass. Next to the tube and worm for the daytime this is another way of catching jumbo bass at night.

I hope you nail a 50lber plus....I know we have that chance while trolling eels at night. For a $1 or $1.50 from most bait shops this is well worth it. This is a great way to get away from smaller bass and get into the lunkers. Bluefish are our enemy when trolling eels. When the big bass are present be prepared to have a dozen eels ready.

Having a soft cooler, ice pack, and damp rag the eels will last. Most important for me is having a green scrubby that are used for dishwashing to handle eels. Here are a couple of pics of the power of a trolled eel:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2004, 10:22 PM

Oh... My god.... Wow....
Old 10-14-2004, 11:46 PM

Talk about a Demon Hell Ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2004, 01:41 AM

Default The Riddler strikes again

No denying your skills Rid

The Riddler strikes again
Old 10-15-2004, 01:30 PM

That is a cool pic.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Veteran

nice fish
Old 04-29-2008, 06:52 PM

Default Re: trolling eels-kayak style

Bump! I gotta get me some photos like that.... I always leave my camera at home ...... Eels ROCK!!
Old 04-30-2008, 02:32 AM
Striper Hunter

BR - Me too.....

I tend not to put any weight on the line, but then again I usually fish in water that is not really deep.

t
Old 07-07-2008, 03:30 AM

Ah man. I hate seeing these threads because it means I'm going to set aside my very productive TnW rigs and spend my hard earned money on live eels so I can feed the back half of em to the blues. I know the perfect spot but I've got TERRIBLE luck with eels. But I've never used them on the yak so now i think im gonna spend the next 6 hours tuesday night drifitin eels.... hahaha. I know for a fact I can hook up with 30-40 pounders pretty frequently where I'm going because I always nail them on bunker heads.

So... My current setups are 30 lb invisicast spiderwire or whatever it is with 30lb seaguar leader. Do you think thats too light? I have a tica dolphin rod and quantum boca 40 spinning reel and a lighter setup with a quantum cabo baitcaster on a phoenix blaze graphite rod.. I cant afford new rods or reels but I can afford new line, but I kinda wanna keep the 30lb test on there. Maybe i should bust out my penn captiva baitfeeder or my HUGE super strong and still smooth) okuma avenger 80 and a 9 foot surf rod? Grrrr. I knew i was gonna end up with 6 set ups on this damn yak just like on the boat.. lol.. Ill let you know how i do.. thanks.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:42 AM

Your 30lb test set up is fine. Just make sure the drag is set properly.
Good to hear that you're having a good year so far!!
Old 07-11-2008, 05:02 PM

That post says charlie A but I think it actually belonges to Jeff Lopez aka the riddler. The guest posts somehow got merged during a board turnover. No biggy the posts and picks are still here,

The thread is however ancient and Ruppert aka riddler hasnt been around here since 04. I think his yaking crew started up a New England board of their own.

Good to see your fishing and posting. Joey glad alls well.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:16 PM

NO NO NO NO NO.... I HATE EELS... I spent all night last night trolling eels, drifting eels, casting eels right on top of schools of stripers. I know because I was killing em with pencil poppers and tubes while the eel was swimming around happily.. NEVER AGAIN. I wont do it. Not around here.. I dont care. And the thing is I've CAUGHT eels around there. So they live there. And there were big bass there. I just dont get it. Whatever i dont care. I had fun. I was just finishing my post. I had a keeper striper nail my blurple popper and had a nice fight till he flew through the air about 4 feet up and spit it out. Awesome sight.. jsut as the sun was setting.. all in all lots of fun but a waste of money on the eels.. I let the other 2 go. theyll probably live forever

Last edited by JakeF; 07-12-2008 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Profanity
Old 07-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Cow Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyVee View Post
NO NO NO NO NO.... I HATE EELS... I spent all night last night trolling eels, drifting eels, casting eels right on top of schools of stripers. I know because I was killing em with pencil poppers and tubes while the eel was swimming around happily.. NEVER AGAIN. I wont do it. Not around here.. I dont care. And the thing is I've CAUGHT eels around there. So they live there. And there were big bass there. I just dont get it. Whatever i dont care. I had fun. I was just finishing my post. I had a keeper striper nail my blurple popper and had a nice fight till he flew through the air about 4 feet up and spit it out. Awesome sight.. jsut as the sun was setting.. all in all lots of fun but a waste of money on the eels.. I let the other 2 go. theyll probably live forever
SEND THE EELS THIS WAY.... I HAVE GREAT SUCCESS DRIFTING EELS.
CURTAIN SPOT I USE EELS OTHER SPOTS I USE POGIES AND SOMETIMES I JUST CAST PLUGS. WHATEVERS WORKING DO IT.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:32 PM

Everything's been working for me BUT eels.. I gave it that one last shot. never again. Come on down with some eels if you want and give it a shot. ill fish with ya. With poppers though. You havent lived till a 20lber destroys a pencil popper feet from the yak. i love it.. The tubes are working insanely well too..