trolling newbie - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 06-29-2005, 01:43 PM

Default trolling newbie

I just purchased my first santini tube, and plan to go out trolling with it as soon as the weather clears up. I also just purchased a fish finder, so I can pinpoint good spots to troll.

Unfortunatly, I don't have rods with leadcore or a downrigger. I'll be using 35# powerpro... my plan is to mark on the powerpro with white paint the yardage... Also, I plan on picking up some trolling weights, attach one to the main line, and attach a 36" leader w/ swivel, tie up the tube, throw a worm on, and troll.

does this sound correct? I'll probably buy trolling weights from 1oz to 3oz, and use them according to the depth i'm fishing in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 04:15 PM

Hello Ferri. IM not sure this is possible when consedring the current, your trolloing speed, Maybe? :chin: I think you'll have a diffecult time maintaning a certin depth. And thats key. My son has a couple of line counters that you attach to the rod, he uses these for lake fishing, they work well in the right conditions. At least with these you will have an idea of where your tube is. I have trolled tubes off downriggers with good results. (I like to use blood worms myself) I dont use wire, so far I havent ran into any problems. I use, 30# test mono on Okuma reels (30D). Good luck
Old 06-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Veteran

Santini Tubes are weighted, use lead line. That way you will know how deep you are by the number of colors you have out.depending on where your fishing put some mono on between 5 and 10 feet . That will give you the curve to keep you off the bottom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 11:35 PM

Default I agree

I think lead core and wire would be the only way to really stay in the target zone. I had a friend try trolling mono and while I was catcing bass he was catching blues, just all had to due to where his tube was presented to the fish.

I feel with the wire I can bump the bottom of 30' and he was pulling it through the 15' water mark where the blues were being marked. Trolling weights will help but a shot of 100yd leadcore will do the trick.

I also find using a paper or coated chart to find rock piles or drop off points before I leave works best. I develop a plan before I leave and have two or three areas in mind just incase. I then check the spots on the chart plotter and work the area trying not to drive right over the structure. What I also find that works for me is when I arrive at the area I will turn off the motor and see what kind of current I am working with so I know where my tube will be presented when I start trolling.

It is all trial by error and I seem to learn something everytime I go out or read the boards.

Good luck and I hope this helps out a little
Old 06-30-2005, 12:00 PM

Ferric, just make sure that your trolling really slow...
Old 06-30-2005, 01:18 PM

I use mono and trolling weights with the tubes. I attach the weights directly to a rudder and then run about 3 feet of wire leader to the tube. Not as good as lead core, but it works. I've never used the Santini tube, but if it's like any of the ones I use make sure you've got a couple of barrel swivels in your rig so that your line does't get really twisted.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:44 PM

thanks guys. Tony, when you say rudder, you mean a trolling plane right?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:21 PM

No it's not a trolling plane it's called a rudder. It's a slab of plastic that is about 3" high and 4-5 " long with the leading and trailing edges tapered, as it sits in the water. It's purpose is to keep the line (running back to your reel) from twisting. The tube itself is suppose to spinn in the water, like a cork-screw. The tube'n worms I use have stiff wire running inside so that you can bend the tube to get the appropriate action. In my previous post I mentioned the use of barrel swivels. So all together, as the tube spinns, the rudder keeps the line from it to the rod from twisting. The swivels between the rudder and the tube disapate the line twist. I usually run two swivels. I use a good heavy snap swivel at the tube and a barrel swivel just after the rudder.

Rudders also come in various colors, I like red/pink and clear.