Barometric Pressure - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Barometric Pressure

I know in the article about the sun and moon and it's effect's on the fish, it talked about barometric pressure and if it goes a little crazy that the fish will also eat more. I was wondering if any of you could expand a little more on the barometer. I learned about probably 15 years ago but I can't remember it . If I remember right, as a strom approaches it falls. Now what effect does this have on the fish. Do they just sense that bad weather is coming and eat up prior? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2005, 06:07 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I'm on my way out the door,gotta make a stop at the RMV on my way home.seeing as they are open late... I'll get to it a little latter... big time stuff,I think I did something in the icefishing thread about it,and Jim has a sticky"why fish dont bite"....
Old 06-30-2005, 08:25 PM

Yes, Barometers measure air pressure. Lower pressure (storms) means bad weather. High pressure is nice weather.

Not too sure about how it affects fishing, thoguh I ehard a cold front provides good fishing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2005, 10:32 PM

I found it better fishing when the barametic pressure is low, and its a little overcast. But thats just me.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:36 PM

When you talk about it being low, do you mean anything below 30" or something lower.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:49 AM

Jbr
It may appear that the barometric pressure has more of an effect on freshwater fish than on saltwter fish because the water is less dense in fresh. In salt the fish can move deeper. The high pressure days are those beautiful sunny sky days with the high cumulus clouds that usually dont bode that well for the surfcaster pursuing bass, at least not moi anyway.
Heres what bill dance had to say on the subject this thread was from the reference library.
There are some older discussions on the forum as well. Here is the one Rock was reffering to weather fronts and ice fishing and
Why fish dont bite
I've enjoyed some of my most successful fishing outings immediately before and after storms. It seems to be only a shortl window but what a bite.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:32 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

this being busy at work bites :wall: no time for web sight

I find any time the barometric pressure moves and is no longer stationary it seems to trigger the fish,when a front(warm or cold) comes through the wind along the frontal boundery churns up the water,confuses the bait and creates an feeding opertunity.... once the front settles in the fish go back to "doing as they usualy do"

Jim has it right,as far fresh water fish being the most affected... at least in my experience... these are only my opinions and theory and i could be wrong.....