Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2016... what will it bring

Tags
2016 bring
10K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Stripe 
#1 ·
striper season is only a few months away here in Mass....
after and abyssal ice fishing season ( I did mange 12 trips all to new Hampshire)... I know I'm excited about the upcoming season... there should be good numbers of 10 -12lb fish ( 34 -36" fish) and a few trophies to boot...is everybody ready..

Pre season check list... reels cleaned and lubed.. rods checked for cracks.. are the guides in good shape....
this is a good time to check that plug bag... are the hooks sharp...is the hardware solid...

for shore bound anglers this is a good time to scout new turf...maybe knock on a few doors. Introduce yourself and get permission for beach access...

for boat guy's ... check your electronics...makes sure it all works... anything that might need repairing.. send it out now... any up grades you contemplate.. now's the time..

if you haven't changed the water pump in a few years... do it now..it's cheap insurance... go through your safety gear... check expiration dates on flares and med kits..

Load test that trolling motor and engine batteries battery... replace it now if it is bad... not when your stuck.. or the fish area "everywhere "and your stealth mode just went kaput!

wishing everyone a enjoyable and safe season...
Tight lines
Roc

See less See more
#4 ·
With myvswcond son on his way any day now, this fishing season will have to take a close cecons to family and work.

I hope to get out a few times a month even just for a couple hours here and there. i have already been scoping out the tide chart and moon phases to try to work out a few trips for this month around my work schedule.

This season will be focused on learning a few spots. (Tidal river early season, Rocky shorelines and popular local beach spot)Hopefully I can make some good memories. maybe get my oldest son of 3 to tag along and stay focused long enough to catch a fish or two with him.

Although I have already been out a couple times, the water here in north mass is still showing mid-upper 40s from the stellwagon bank buoy. Hopefully a couple weeks of "May-like" weather will bring the fish up and in.

I was so excited with reports of schoolies and flounder being caught, I couldn't help but try to get out to the water, but with the weather, I should have stuck to the original plan of hunting the spring turkey season.

I hope 2016 blesses you all with good times, great memories, and hopefully a few fish along the way.

-Joe

#8 ·
Lot's and lot's of little guy's .. as I left the dock at day break /Saturday there were breaking fish from the Rt. 1 bridge all the way to the 13 can... none of these youngsters were over 18" most almost half that size... great sight for the next generation...provided we take care of the resource...

Lot's of codfish in the local waters.. sadly we cant keep any ( then only 1) until August... the inshore bag this week end consisted of a few keeper haddock ( and a lot of throw backs) cod... flounder and a surprise black fish... first one I've caught in a bout 10 years here...mackerel have also arrived in mass... most of the ones I saw were tinkers... and both haddock and cod were keyed in on them...

#9 ·
Joe, I have a question, maybe you have an answer or good perspective on this. I was out a few days ago, catching Mac's, yes they were all tinkers. I can recall about 10 years ago, around this time catching more larger Mac's and only a few tinkers, it's the other way around now.
Am I missing something here, meaning have the horse Mackerel passed us by, or are they still yet to come into shore?

#10 ·
I think the larger ones haven't got here yet... IMHO.. the larger ones are more aggressive and when there are more of them we don't catch tinkers until they are gone... that being said... this could be the year for small bait if the trend continues..

#12 ·
So last week I got a new boat and took it up to the Merrimack Friday and sat we got plenty of macks by MR buoy Friday, Saturday we ran to the ledge about 8-9 miles out macs and herring as far as you can see ,on the way back in we stopped and got about 150lbs in 1 hr....it was ridiculess.
The striper fishing wasn't so good just some schoolies

#13 ·
So last week I got a new boat and took it up to the Merrimack Friday and sat we got plenty of macks by MR buoy Friday, Saturday we ran to the ledge about 8-9 miles out macs and herring as far as you can see ,on the way back in we stopped and got about 150lbs in 1 hr....it was ridiculess.
The striper fishing wasn't so good just some schoolies
I'm going to assume you fished in the parking lot also known as the mouth... do you blame the fish for not feeding there?.... I fished for haddock then loaded the baitwell and went upriver ( Saturday)... I got 9 fish between 12 & 18lbs.. before the rest stole my mac's...

Lots of schools of pogies on the outside..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.