Gonna go get skunked again tomorrow. - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 05-23-2005, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the offer Eddy. I'd love to get out with you and Briggs sometime, just let me know!

Looks like crappy weather all week this week, though. Is this a normal NE spring?? I'm about ready for some warmer sunny days. 39 degrees when I got up this morning and it's almost June. :shock:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2005, 10:43 AM
Lunker

so much for my attempt at cheerleading - i guess i'll keep the day job...!

chin up, bait! there's always next time and besides skunks don't live
forever!!!!
Old 05-23-2005, 11:31 AM

Thanks absolutahnie! Chin is up and a bit scratchy this morning after a long night up with the baby and forgetting to shave before I left for work

Hmm,, makes me wonder,, how long DO skunks live? On the farm once we had a skunk living under the chicken coop for a couple years before our German Shepherd, Spike, got brave enough to tangle with it. Took us forever to get the smell off him. lol He reeked for at least a month after that :!:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Lunker

sounds like a rough week-end all the way around! i hope sophia's
o.k.!

your skunk is due to meet his maker soon. he's gotta be! perhaps spike will take careof him for you. my mother had a shepherd who tangled with a skunk once..as you said she stunk for at least a month afterwards. at the time it happened mom didn't smell it (???) and let the dog back in the
house. NOT a good thing to do. i don't know who was more ticked off
the dog getting the KETCHUP bath (mom figured it was tomato based...)
or mom when the ketchup laden dog gave a big shake mid-bath....
Old 05-23-2005, 12:53 PM

LOL,, funny story! My current skunk is safe from Spike, unfortunately. He met his maker about 10 years ago chasing a semi. He had a bad habit of trying to bite tires.

Yeah, Sophie is fine, just teething right now. Must be on a growth spurt as well, cause she's wanting to eat every 2 hours lately. She does that sometimes. She goes through these cycles where she'll either want to be awake all the time eating or sleeping 90% of the time and hardly hungry at all.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Hang in there

This weather has just been crazy, I am almost scared to plan a trip this weekend because I never know what it looks like from day to day. At the last minute I went out and hooked up in the bay with Briggs on his new vessel, a sweet ride for sure. Anyway hooked up with a few bass of keeper size and took one for the grill. We threw a bunch back and then I offered to split a filet a piece with my uncle who was riding along with my son and I.

I'll keep you posted when things look bright
Old 05-24-2005, 08:35 PM

Cuz, I'm soooo envious of the fact that you have your boat in the water and are slammin' em!!
I'm chomping at the bit to nail some Stripers... :D
Old 05-25-2005, 10:28 AM

Hey Cuz! Good to hear that Briggs got his ship in the drink! I hope his move is going smoothly, haven't heard from him lately. Man this weather sucks! Been trying to get bottom paint on my buddy's sailboat for 2 weeks now. He's going to teach me how to sail this summer and in turn I'm supposed to teach him how to fish. Isn't that hillarious?? Me, teaching someone how to fish I find that incredibly laughable. :?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:21 PM

Hey bait dont laugh. Just the little knowledge you impart will help the guy catch fish. You never stop learning. As the saying goes in the medical field; "see one, do one, teach one" applies to fishing as well.
Even from the beginner basics to more advanced techniqes. You will become a better and more confident fishermen just from putting newbies on fish. Then its time to learn and experiment with more ways to catch fish yourself with the help from someone more experienced with another method. I floundered for many a season without any real assistance from anyone. I just watched and listened from the guys who knew. Thats why the guys on this site are so invaluable. They are true fishermen who appreciate fishing and teaching it correctly. I now clearly understand my deficiencies and limitations and look to correct them every time out there. Helping others, helps me to be a better fisherman as well. 8)
Old 05-25-2005, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the encouragement Jim. I needed that. I know it's just a matter of time and I'm taking advantage of every opportunity that arises to get my lines wet. I've learned SO much from this board and the great people who hang out here. One of these days it will pay off I'm sure. I too learn something new every time I go out, even though I'm not catching any fish. Sometimes though it's just depressing to read other people's reports of great fishing trips, see pictures of fish caught, etc. when, for me, the water is completely dead.

I know I have NO experience. I know I'm not the first newbie who has had a slow start. I know that chances are I'm bound to at least catch one fish eventually. I just get impatient sometimes when every trip is no better than the last. I'll get over it. :)
Old 05-25-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Charts boat or not

I was just telling my uncle who for years has been fishing the shore around Fall River and Westport with some catches but nothing everytime out. Like someone on a boat know where to fish and when to fish is half the battle, look at a chart and see some of the structure you are casting to and keep somewhat of a log even when you get skunked.

You'll soon see a pattern to tides that work and certain structure that works on those tides. A bunch of the keeper size bass I have caught can be taken from shore because I know of a spot where the bass seem to hold up waiting for bait to come out of a mill gut on outgoing tide, I would be more than happy to share that spot with you just let me know. That particular spot is a place that I saw on the chart... have been checking it since I first put the boat in the water 32 degrees and only last week have the fish started to show up; but evertime I get there I hit the spot and there are a fish or two on the rods.

Good luck
Old 05-25-2005, 03:23 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Bait,
Take heed in Jim's words,if there is one thing you MUST master, if you are to be a sucessfull striper fisherman,it's patients.
You also must only be concerned with your own circumstances,don't be anamored with the catches being made elsewhere or the fish caught the day before or the day after you fished.....you weren't there! Maybe a pod of bait moved into and out of the area some lucky angler got into the blitz,keep at it ,sooner or latter it will be your turn.
Maybe hight tide was a producer for someone in your spot,if you were working you weren't fishing,maybe low tide was the only time you had,just take notes,keep track of all that is not working.....that counts too!
Years ago, there was a guy at the dock who used to delight in telling me so and so got X number of Zlb bass,(allways while I was working) ,he did it for a whole season,finaly he figured out I just didnt care,I'm only concerned with the time I have to fish and make the most of it,yes, I've had more practice than most,but, nothing is foolproof....just be yourself and put yourself in the best situation for YOU,the rest will take care of itself.
Tight lines
Rock
Old 05-25-2005, 04:01 PM

Hey guys,
Thanks for the advise. I'll take it to heart. Unfortunately, I really only get to go out once, maybe twice a week, so it's hard for me to see any kind of a pattern, or to know which of the many factors in play (i.e. fishing location, tide stage, weather, baitfish movement, water temp, etc.) were the the main culprit in that days skunk. All I can say is, well, something wasn't right. So the next time out I try a different stage of the tide, I try different bait/lures, I try to find a better location, not much I can do about the rest of it.

I don't have any charts, but I have been looking at arial/satelite photos online to try to find some different places to try. Which would be easy to do if I could just head a boat in that direction, but finding public shore access to these places is an entirely different matter. So most of the spots which I think look good, I have no access to, or even if I can get to the shore without being arrested for trespassing my truck would be towed by the time I got back to it. So that's a whole different topic of frustration for me.

Any specific tips you can give me in this area would be much appreciated. I look at satelite photos throughout the week, pick a couple places I'd like to try on the weekend, and after wasting a couple hours of the precious little time that I DO have to fish driving around in circles I usually end up back at one of the same two or three places that have skunked me so far.
:?

See,, now I just sound like a whiner, but I'm not,, really!! :)
Old 05-25-2005, 06:19 PM

Hey bait . Try these two links . The bottom one in particular. It is the observational survey data taken from the National marine fisheries service. In particular, nearby the ones with more fisherman. These spots hold fish, fisherman and in all likelyhood striped bass. find one nearby and ask the local tackle shop what the stripers are biting at the pier in question. You never know. Its like when you approach a fresh water impoundment the most important question may be "how deep they are holdong on that day" ask the other fishermen. If they are tight lipped so be it.

http://www.waterworkswonders.org/waterSearch.aspx

http://www.st.nmfs.gov/st1/recreatio...rvey/fish.html
Old 05-25-2005, 06:43 PM

Thanks Jim,
I'll check it out!