Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Need rod to match shimano baitrunner 6500

8K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  jerseystriper 
#1 ·
I surf fish in NJ and NYC and I got a shimano baitrunner 6500. I was wondering wat rod would be a good match. My budget is 90-150. I was thinkin a Star Rod Stellar or a SC Triumph. Any ideas?

#5 ·
Make sure the rod is minimum 2 to 6 oz rated, although heavier would be better.
11' to 13' is best for heaving chunks

Check out the Ocean Master at Bass Pro

#11 ·
Surprised nobody mentioned an Ande tournament or Tsunami airwave, the Ande is abt. $70.00 at 12' and the tsunami is abt. $130.00 at 12' both go to 6 oz. and can reel in 30 + lbs. very well. Both of those poles can really get the bait out there.
I have used both the Tsunami Airwave, Trophy Surf and Star Stellar Lite. IMO the Star is the better rod plus you cant beat the lifetime warranty. I had picked up a Star at the NJ Expo from the Star booth. They only had a dozen or so rods for sale as they were extras. Due to working the show I had got rod at 60% off. I was an idiot and sold it at show as I was also buying a few other items and needed the cash. I really wished I had not sold it as now I'm going to end up paying full nut for one. The Star Stellar Lite is about the best $100 surf rod I have used and don't forget they also make an awesome 6 to 7' rod for you boat guys

Tackle Direct also sells them, but I would call them to make sure they actually have in stock as TD is known for showing in stock when they actually have to ship item from vendor. One thing is that if this happens and there is a snag then they usually make good on it. I recommend trying to get any rod locally to make sure that you like it matched with your reel, or atleast trying first as what I like you may hate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.