Another reel choice question - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 06-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Lunker

Default Another reel choice question

I'll be trolling, fishing live bait and chunks from my boat. I have a 7' Tiger Ugly Stick that I plan to use. I've been trying to research reels and I'm thinking of either a Penn GT 330LD or the Shimano TLD20 or maybe TLD25.
Any thoughts as to which would be a better choice? Any others I should consider in this range?
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Another reel choice question

Ten years ago I would have said Penn, but now I would say Shimano because Penn has be bought out to many times. Ijust don't think the make as good a reel as Shimano these days.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:14 AM
Surf's Up

the Shimano TLD20 is a great chose of reel it works like a dream
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2007, 09:22 PM

You will fall in love with the TLD's. I bought my first this year, awesome reels.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Lunker

I was about to buy the TLD when I ran into an old friend who fishes a lot.
He talked me into buying a Shimano Baitrunner 6500.
But now I'd like to try trolling with lead core, so I'm back looking at the TLDs. One thing that is appealing to me about the Penn 330 LD is the level wind feature. I have an older Penn Long Beach 65 (doesn't have level wind) and it seems like it would be nice to have.
Anyone have experience with that feature and any recommendations of other brands that maybe I should check out first?
Thanks!!
Old 08-01-2007, 11:03 PM

Baitrunner....can't go wrong there either. I have no experience w/ leadcore, sorry can't give any input there.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:01 AM

I don't use a levelwind with leadcore, but I do with braid. Since it is so thick and you're not casting it, it's not that critical that leadcore be spooled perfectly. The level wind is just one more part on a reel that can fail, so if you can do without it you're better off in my opinion.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:30 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I'll tell you what I know about both reels...

I have Shimano TLD 20's and 320LD Penns..

I use the leval wind LD 320 strickly for bass, either eeling or drifting live Mackeral or pogires... this is my 4th season, and they are bullet proof, I use these 4-5 days a week from June -October, never an issue with releability.
IMHO the 330 LD will be a little heavy and large for that rod, it weighs 26 ounces, and hods 325 of 30# line, the 320 weighs 16 ounces and holds 320 yds of #20.. mine are spooled with #60 Power pro.

The Shimano TLD series are a little larger,I dont know the weights on them, but I know they are heavy, the TLD 25 holds 350yds of 50 and the TLD 20 holds 300 yds of 50... I have my TLD 20's spooled with #80 power pro, they are set up on shimano 6'6" Shimao rods with a line rating of30 -80 lbs....
I use these these reels for everthing outside the river, from liveling mackeral over an offshore rock pile (just in case charlie tuna pays a visit)to jigging cod and haddock ( the gear ratio,3.6:1 is fast enough to reset a jig in 300' of water quickly, but not to weak to winch a 70lb cod from the depths) I've used them for Scholl BFT to 120lbs with out incedent....

I've included some of the beasts that that TLD 20 has landed, If the rod can handle it and you plan to do lead core fishing, use the TLD series, if the rod is lighter and Mono or braid will be the chosen line, go with the penn ( or Shimano TLD 15if you dont want the leval wind) both are excellent reels.. whichever you choose, you wont be dissapointed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the battle.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	2981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Double header.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1611.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	2984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shimano TLD 25 with jig snd teaser.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	2985  
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Lunker

WOW - nice fish!!
The only time I've seen cod anywhere near that size was when I was a teenager going out deep sea fishing on the Winner III.
Biggest fish I ever caught was a 21 Lb. Pollack.
I do like the idea of the level wind, but I think I'll go with the TLD 20.
I'd really like to try the leadcore line and it sounds like the level wind shouldn't be necessary.
Thanks for all of your input!