hook of choice - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Kayaking Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Kayaking Stripers A forum for the YAK'rs out there.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:14 AM

Default hook of choice

I'm a new member here but have been Kayak fishing for a couple years. Most of my fishing these days is eel trolling at night and I've been using both live bait hooks and circle hooks. They seem pretty equal as far as hook ups go with mabye a slight edge going to the "J" hooks. The circles, once hooked up, definitly stay hooked up better. What are you guys using?

BTW: Nice to see Lefty and esp. the Riddler - missed your posts when you left that other site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 10:27 AM

Welcome to the site Roric!!
I use circle hooks almost exclusively. For eels I use anywhere from a 4/0 to 6/0 circle.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:39 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

4/0 gamagatsu or Honer "j" hook, the problem with eels and circles are several,and sooner or latter it will happen.

1) when a fish takes the eel the hook will set into the eel insted of the fish,it happens with "j" hooks but nearly twice as often with circles..

2) you will miss alot more fish with the circles,alot of the fish just dont stick...

3) the third and most comon problem comes from hooking the bait itself,circles are hard to ge into the eels and tend to enlarge the hole in the bait causing alot of lost baits..

The above is based on 4 years of experiments with circle hooks and 30 years of "j" hook eel fishing, and an average of 20 hours a week on the water trolling and plugging eels and IMHO this is the one and only bait where "j" hooks are superior to circles when using bait for bass....

tight lines
Rock
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 11:05 AM

I use 8/0 hooks when trolling eels. Works for me. I don't choose to use smaller, I have had bass try to reject the eel and toss smaller hooks. I feel I have a better success with larger hooks while trolling.

I bought a couple of packs of Owner Gorilla live bait hooks. 8/0 with a smaller profile and more wide open hook.

I agree with others on the circles.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:25 AM

What's up Roric? Long time no see!Only trolled eels a few times.First with circlesand felt i was missing alot of fish .Switched to J's and my hookup ratio improved.Lefty
Old 07-14-2005, 08:02 PM

Good roric been a good year so far.Started in April for holdovers and have been at it pretty steady since. :wtg: Only fished Manchester a few times as it was kinda slow for me.Spending most of my time further east.How bout you? Lefty
Old 07-15-2005, 05:03 PM

It seems that people like big hooks with eels...and I agree!
I think that once the Striper has that eel in its sights, it goes into attack mode. Therefore, it could care less about the tackle (especially in the dark). Might as well get better chances of a hook up if the Striper is gonna disregard the hardware anyways!