Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2008 The Year of the 70 pounder

14K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  jimi4290 
#1 ·
3 - 70 pound fish have been caught so far this year. Thats as many that have ever been successfully landed and approved by the IGFA in any given year and we're not even into the fall season yet.
The last time we saw fish like that was the 1981 class when Al Mcreynolds - Bob Rochetta and Anton Stetzko each hauled in 70 pounders.

This year began on January 23rd when Fred Barnes shattered the Virginia state record with a 73-pounder caught off the Virginia Beach coast.
Mike Columbus, 38, of Riverhead then caught a 70-pound 6-ounce striped bass on July 4th at Orient Point while on Captain Phil Kess's chartered boat "Fishy Business."
A second huge fish was taken by Dave Hochman on Independence Day when he shot a 68.4-pounder on a reef in Block Island Sound to eclipse the World spearfishing record.
Several other fish in the high 60's have also been reported and caught.
The most recent was the 75.4-pound striped bass whopper caught off of Block island by East Greenwich Ct. by angler Peter Vican that broke the Rhode Island state record by 5 pounds.
Gallery

Fish Fisherman Fin Recreational fishing Smile
Water Sky Boat Shorts Outdoor recreation
Water Sky Vertebrate Seafood Fisherman

Water Bermuda shorts Sleeve Shorts Tartan

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm coming home next month (hopefully) and I'm praying that I land me one nice fish. It doesn't have to be 60 or 70 pounds, 50 will do just fine. With all this talk about these big fish being landed I'm starting to think that if a world record is caught it might be this year and it will most likely be during the fall run.

#6 ·
Of course the actual decision to keep that fish can only be made on the spot. I personally have released fish that others would have killed. I believe, at this moment at my keyboard, that I would release it. Not because I'm against killing a fish or 2 on occaision, but the big one, well lets just say, that could be the headache that has no cure. I think I would get more satisfaction knowing I did it, knowing that she hopefully makes another run to the grounds come spring.

#23 ·
I'm with you there. For me though, 1) I don't want to leave the beach or the Canal to tend to the needful, to prevent spoilage etc, 2) while I DO like to eat some fish some of the time, 45 pounds of filet is a LOT of filet, and contrary to most, I do not like the taste of fish that has been frozen 3) I'm in northern Michigan in retirement, and 1,000 miles with all that frozen filet in tow is not an appetizing (sp) prospect and 4) your quoted section above is also an important consideration for me.:cheers:
I try to hit the Cape annually for two weeks every October; mainly to relive my youth when I religously fished those waters in the 1950s-1960s before Vietnam interfered, and a career imposed their own imperatives. Now that I am in my 68th year, other things than bragging rights are more important to me.

If y'all happen to see a white 4-Runner on the beach this October bearing Michigan tags, and see and old guy with a white moustache and an equally old Gordon Setter in tow, stop and say hello.

Regards,
DavidN.

#7 ·
this year and next year are the years of the big fish
it is just the culmination of 2 great year classes from early 90s coming to fruition
i have never broken 40 but have witnessed many this year
the record i would keep but it would not be without reservation
i might feel much differently if i already had my trophy
it is a majestic beast
i guess ill cross that bridge if i ever get there
mike

#8 ·
Albert Mcreynolds said that if he ever hooked up with another world record bass he would cut the line. It would take a lot of courage (for lack of a better word) to release a world record fish. I think for me the biggest problem would be proving it to everyone. Maybe if I caught it and had witnesses there to measure and weigh it with me I could find the strength inside of me to get a quick picture and release it. But then there would always be the critics who would call me a liar or worse....and I think that it is because of those kinds of people that Albert Mcreynolds would release a world record fish if he ever hooked up with another one.

Then there's always the side of me that would love to catch a world record bass maybe take a quick picture or maybe not....and just release it without telling or showing it to anybody.

#10 ·
I sit here perplexed as to how the very thing that drives me can, at the same time, cause feelings of disbelief and resentment!!! In this great sport of ours, why must the pinnacle of success come with such a heavy price? I'm not sure that I've logged enough hours in comparison with other anglers, but I can say with near certainty that the morals and values instilled in me would NEVER allow me to act in such a selfish manner in the event that A) I caught the big one myself or B) I happened to be standing next to the guy/girl who did. Simply put, anyone who didn't like it, didn't believe me, questioned my credibility or otherwise gave me grief would be met with a (expletive deleted) and have a nice day. Conversely, my reaction to witnessing someone land THE big one would be a hearty congrats and the gratification of being a small part of such a big event. I mean isn't that what most of us are in this thing for?? Since when did fishing come before common courtesy, good sportsmanship, the love of the sport and just having fun? I'm reminded of what Gunny said to a few of the noobs at the Maine gathering. Simply put, he said 'Hey, I'd rather see you catch fish than me.' He's caught more than his fair share, cows and minnows alike, and would rather see a noob latch onto one knowing that he/she'd be hooked for life. What is this world coming to......or where has it taken us ALREADY may be the more relevant question? May God afford me the strength to never allow greed or jealousy, the most inhumane of human emotions, to supercede my love of the sport or my desire to succeed/witness someone else's success. I hang my head in shame today, if not just a little bit, in hopes that I'm NEVER held in the same regard, compared to or in any way associated with the select few who give this sport a bad name. Take care and tight lines!!!!

cussing.gif

StriperHyper ~ Will

#14 ·
Down to his last pile worm after an all-day session Aug. 5 2008 at O'Neill Forebay outside Los Banos, California Frank Ualat caught a 70-pound, 6-ounce striped bass. This would have been the new Landlocked World Record had it been weighed on a certified scale. But it was weighed on an unofficial scale, cut it into fillets and eaten. It does however still qualify as an all tackle record despite not being certified or witnessed by an IGFA official.

Fish Adaptation Smile Room Rectangle
Sleeve Fish Adaptation Window Art

#15 ·
DO'AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Personally, I woulda had it stuffed and mounted on my wall, save the 20-26 inchers for the grill.......but to each his own. Nice fish never the less, oooooooofa.

StriperHyper ~ Will

#16 ·
I wouldn't eat a fish that big or old....Being he was caught in a impoundment at San Luis canal ., she couldn't spawn anyway..But can you imagine the toxins in that fish? If i fish that lake , I'll probably see the guy across the lake glowing on the shore line..Jim :icon_cool2:

#17 ·
WTG people on the pics anyways i cant wait to hit a 30lb soon :sydan:

#25 ·
Those are all very nice fish, and maybe sometime during my lifetime Ill catch one to, I hope :smile: I will never know unless I try, and of corse be lucky enouth. I would not kill a fish that size or any size for that fact, I catch and release all my fish, I dont need bragging rights. I would take a picture of the bass on the spot as souvenir for myself, as I always have a camera with me at all times wile I am fishing, and release the fish as soon as possible. A fish that size as been around for a very long time, so what right do I have to play God and kill the bass, just to show everyone that I caught a big fish. I can show everyone that I caught a big fish with a picture and not kill the fish, and if I want a wall mount I can just get a replica and mount it on the wall. If I want to have the fish weighed I can do that myself to as I always carry a scale with me then release the fish.
We dont live in the 1920's its almost 2009.

#27 ·
Yung which fish?

The first batch of 70's were caught using live eels. The California fish was a pile worm. The spear record was obviously speared.
I dont remember what the Va fish was caught on. Live Menhaden?

#32 ·
During an incredible few mornings of fishing early in the first half of the season last year, fishing in a place the a few of us call, "Cow Town", I met the big lady.
I caught and released several personal best's during that time frame.
After releasing 2 smaller cows, she took me on, and beat me like I was a French Infantryman.
The power of that fish was absolutely incredible.
I watched her come up behind the plug several times before commiting.
When she did, and turned to go out after the hook set, nothing and I mean nothing was going to slow her down.
My reel has 30 lbs of drag, it was cranked as she made the run, and didn't phase her 1 bit.
She made a turn at the outside of a reef and the power pro chafed the rock, that was the end of the story.
I will be back to that hole this year, a little bit better prepared, hoping to meet her again.
Now more than ever, I believe she will be put back to fight and or spawn again,

but then again..........................................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.