hatch chart - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 03-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Striper Hunter

Default hatch chart

hello,

wanted to know if there was a a sort of hatch chart for surf fishing stripers much like they do for fly fishing trout waters ? i like to set one rod up with bait and have another for lures but as i dont really have a solid idea when certain baits are productive or if theres a time of year when everythings in the water. id like to keep my offering as close to correct as possible.

ill be fishing the jones, long beach, jamaica bay areas if that helps

thankyou
taylor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: hatch chart

i'm late for starting to flyrod the surf this year as i ALWAYS go by the first two things i see in March. 1.the New Moon came first "and earlier than in the past several years". this moon and the moon prior to it has the Menhadden moving north and into these waters. the bass follow directly behind these schools within a week or two. so fish the moon on the fly as they are around structure and only looking for crabs/flounder/if the bunker is not readily available to them. chunking will also fare well but me thinks your shot at fish is a little later as the larger fish won't be moving up in that direction as of yet imo. 2. is the blooming of Dafodils. these bulbs sprout up in late feb/early march. when they bloom open is generally the sign to get out as i have caught my first fish here 3 of 5 times i went that evening. i always thought they were crokus but was not so. bunker will prolly be in jamaica bay and in some of the other estuaries but may not be along the open beaches by you till later in april "although that varies from year to year". this year is an early migration. the water is colder as you move further north. duh... anyway, the first signs of anchovies(rainfish) will arrive some time in april "say 3rd week or so. i rarely fish your neck of the woods so i can't give you approximate times to fish it. as i mostly fish the surf with the flyrod now i feel an affinity for large deceiver (squid) patterns that pulsate and are epoxy heads that get down quickly. never met a bumble who'd turn her nose up at a squid.. winter flounder are everywhere and bass absolutely love them (as well as the seals in the area > which btw you should avoid fishing near like the plaque). if you see seals then bunker or flounder are close (or have been close) by. and bass will eventually hone in on em regardless of the imminent danger of the seal(s). bluefish will be here early as well this season. the racer blues will prolly show up 2nd or 3rd week of april. but the larger taylors may straggle in as early as 1st week of april. bad scenario for bass fishing as i usually can avoid bluefish till the end of april. this will not be the case this season. i should make a sticky of this scenario as it is a staple to fish by imo. most won't venture out as early as st patricks day but the moon was the 15th this season. if the water wasn't so cold this woulda kicked off nicely. the hudson is "and has been" already on fire. which is no surprize. i recall you being on the hudson last year.... go git emmmmmm

Old 03-24-2010, 10:54 PM
First Mate

Zim, a bit off topic, but what exactly does the moon make the bait do? Act as a signal for them to mirgrate north?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 01:54 AM
Striper Hunter

yes, the hudson is my home water but im getting ready to move to the LI area so im trying to find out as much info as possible about the areas, the area i mentioned (island park to be more specific ) is where our number one choice for a place to live is an since the place we`re going to check out tomorrow has private beach access along with it i figure i should find out as much as possible about the area as it new to me. what size fly rod do you use for the surf? im just getting into fly fishing ( i have a cheap 5 wt ) an plan to get my feet wet in the fly fishing world up in the beaverkill willowemoc areas this spring an would love to work my way up to being able to surf cast a fly rod but thats a discussion for another topic. now does the fact you only touched on the bunker an anchovies mean things like clams eels and squid are good all season?

taylor
Old 03-25-2010, 03:49 PM
First Mate

any validity to the claim that "mackeral will show up on the ct shoreline when the apple blossums open up?" because this year id like to catch some mackeral to freeze for chunking laer this spring and i was wondering when i should hit the rivers and channels for them. any pointers or words of advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:12 AM
Official Member

Taylor

There will be a lot of different bait in the water in early to late spring. Stuff like Herring and Mackerel and Squid typically winds down by the end of Spring, but there's a steady arrival of menhaden and smaller stuff like spearing and sand eels that will be more or less around all summer and into fall. A basic assortment of plugs, tins, and bucktails will cover a lot of bases. Matched to a 10 to 11' rod that can throw lures 1-3oz or 2-4 oz you should be all set for the South Shore. Adding a teaser ahead of your plug or tin is an excellent tactic, especially in spring.

Bait fishing for stripers in the surf would generally be either clams or bunker chunks (menhaden) and to a lesser extent sandworms. Along the surf you'd generally be using a pyramid sinker weighing 4 to 8 oz with bait, so a it would be a heavier outfit than your plugging rod.

Although it's usually not a great idea to wander too far from your bait rod, you could put your bait outfit in a sand spike and cast plugs with another outfit while the bait is soaking. Live eels can also be effective, but they're usually cast out and reeled in very slowly (if fished unattended in a sand spike they'll tangle your rig into an unholy mess). You'll have your choice of a number of great bait shops that can help get you set up once you're down here.

As far as fly rods go, 8-10 weights are used, but a 9 weight would be a great all around choice.

Good luck..

mark
Old 03-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Striper Hunter

peregrines,

first off thanks for the info,

ive kinda gotten the impression lures designed to emulate various kinds of bait and eels are my best option. thanks again though for the rod size info though. i have a sand spikes that ive used in the past an while im aware its not such a solid idea to get too far from a baited line, my gf usually fishes with me she enjoys being on the beach so im sure she could either alert me or in a worst case scenario attempt to hook the fish.

btw anyone know of any dog beaches, doesnt have to be on the south shore or have good fishing. my GSP loves the beach an while finding a beach to fish with him would be ideal im certainly not against just spending the day at the beach with him
Old 03-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghilie View Post
Zim, a bit off topic, but what exactly does the moon make the bait do? Act as a signal for them to mirgrate north?
sorry i am not timely responding to things.
the moon doesn't make anything do anything. (except altert me to what i predict will happen) and it's all about my years of watching the water and seeing firsthand when and where the fish will arrive and who will get here first and all things relavent to the events. we all know that the moon tides (and the entire ocean is one big tidal clock) work on different levels "ie; height and force and direction etc.." but, in a migration of flounder and bait and bass and bluefish and weakfish and so on.... there is a clock which goes off in all these species. time to move... time to hunt.... time to rest... time to move again. i used to be the first knucklehead to get a fish every year and i said i would make an effort to do it again this season but failed to act on it as i HATE the cold now. when the moon is new in mid feb. i watch for telltale signs of an early or late spring. IE: early New Moon like we had March 15th. the moon in feb "and mind you this is only in theory i say this" that bunker will move out of holding whether the water is cold or not. by late feb full moon i believe these babies are on the move as plankton in the chesapeake may or may not start a chain reaction drawing out killies/mumichogs etc. and phytoplancton but, when the lower bays start to fire up like this.... the offshore bass populations (and they are numerous and in different areas/depths/families so to speak) will move in close. most will head into the chesapeake/potomac and some (our early fish) will take a little while to make that move as water temperature will ALWAYS dictate when they will feel comfortable to come closer (but my theory on this is that regardless of water temps they will move in and prospect for the bunker schools and remain tolerant to the cold if there is forage "this early noreaster churned up massive amounts of clams". the Hudson saw fish earlier i think as well. i'm no marine biologist but i do know these fish. i have seen bunker as early as mid march and i have seen them as late as Christmas day here. With the moon coming up on tuesday i can say with conviction that the first weekend in april i will have a body of fish walk into my back door on one of these evenings. IT NEVER FAILS> I HOPE YOUR READING THIS JIM..... i mean, clearly--- nobody believes these fish will pour into the bays from waaaayyy out in the deep up as far north as this. but time waits for no fish and, these babies wanna get some food before mid april when they get to spawning. there shouldn't be phytoplankton in this cold of water (but the bunker know where it will be when the bays warm up) it is some chemo mechanism in thier makeup that lures them to these places year after year. the moon? it plays a vital role in this migration imo. i have watched every moon and caught bass on these moons when they first get here. i can't say that a moon will make bunker nuts or feed (or try to) and perhaps bass know this already? this is my take on what i see every year. i would listen to any biologist or scientists data and retain that info but, everyone has a timetable to fish. mine is clearly in my head and will go when my mind is geared up to do so. i will also use weather conditions ie; temp/wind/pressure at my disposal to find the optimum time to be on the water. i've been right for my own sake alot but have also failed and have noted why if any changes have effected the outcome. with all i have written it is hard for me assume any of this makes sense as i will hit the post button and read it from the beginning and see what it was i was trying to convey in my answer. forgive me if i confuse anyone... then again, NOT..