Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

New North Carolina State record?

13K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  StriperHyper 
#1 ·
Jan 7, 2011

Fisherman: says "Striped Bass Catch Is New State Record
A father and son who headed out for a day of duck hunting instead tried their hand at fishing and say they reeled in a record catch.
Steve Furlough of Roper, Washington County, says his 12-year-old son Chase caught the 63 pound striped bass Thursday morning at Oregon Inlet. Furlough says the Division of Marine Fisheries told him it is a new state record.
The DMF website shows the old record was 62 pounds and was caught in 2005.
Furlough says the fish is 54 inches long and has a girth of 34 inches. It took 25 minutes to reel in.
The fish is headed to ECU where a biologist will try to determine how old it was.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Rick Angel with his 64-lb striped bass.

Believe it or not, two NC state record stripers were decked in some furious striper fishing at Oregon Inlet last week.
On Wednesday January 4th 2011 a NC record striped bass weighing 63 pounds was caught by 12-year-old Stephen Furlough while fishing with guide Charles Haywood aboard the boat Rigged Up just outside of Inlet.
The feel-good story of young Stephen's catch lasted only two days however, as on Friday January 6th 2011, angler Keith Angel pulled in a new NC record 64-pound striped bass while fishing with guide Devin Cage on The Poacher.
Both of the huge stripers were weighed in at the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center where the paperwork was filled out for the state records.
Young Furlough indicated he wanted his fish mounted, while Angel wanted the paperwork processed fast so his fish could be filleted.
"I'm taking it home to eat!" said Angel.
According to Cage, the big striper Angel caught hit a blue-headed lure trolled on a parachute rig.
"There was another lure on that rig, and Keith also had a fish hooked on it," said Cage. "The second fish weighed about 15 pounds, so he was fighting 79 pounds of striper all at the same time.
Angel's 64-lb striped bass measured 53 1/4 inches in length and 33 3/4 inches in girth.
"I thought the fish (Furlough) caught a couple days before might remain the state record for 20 years," Cage said. "Now, after Angel's fish, and seeing how many monster stripers are out there, the 64-pounder might not hold up for a week."
The previous record NC striped bass was a 62-pounder taken at Oregon Inlet in 2005.

#6 ·
I'd rather see ME hold the record but I suppose that's under selfish pretenses. . . . . .I hope to work my way up to that and catch a 40" first and THEN maybe a 50" and dare I say, a 60" someday???

StriperHyper ~ Will

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.