Casting for distance! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Casting for distance!

Hi to all! First, I just wanna say, that this site has been a big help to a
beginner (Me) in search of his first keeper!

My big problem is casting for distance.
I have a Shimano 4500 Bait Runner w/a 10' Daiwa Surf Casting rod, not
the most expensive, but not the cheapest either. I was using 20lb Mono
w/fishfinder, usually 4oz. I just can't seem to get distance on this bad boy
and I'm thinking I'm doing it all wrong. 30, 40 yards maybe. I know I should be getting more distance, so I went to 15lb and still the same problem with the fishfinder attached. I seem to get that Helicopter affect I have read about on here and I'm not a happy camper!
Without the weight just a nice piece of mackerel, I seem to get decent distance, but I know I can get more with the right technique.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, I am looking for fishing spots! I don't excpect anyone to give me their "Secret Hot Spot", but maybe point me in the right direction.
I'm in the Worcester area and have been to the Canal, Tiverton, Plymouth,
but with not a lot of success. Last year a few small ones in Plymouth, but other than that nothing. Any points of direction is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2005, 08:25 PM

Try to bring the rod stright over your head...like a catapult...
A sidearm motion may be causing the "helicopter" effect. Or it might be that you flick the rod tip while casting, b/c either will make it helicopter...

I have Daiwas also and I love em'...
Use your bottom hand to your advantage, when casting you want you top hand to push the rod, and have your bottom hand pull towards you...try to make your 'pivot point' right where the reel is...

Don't be afraid to use your whole body...shift your weight foward and try taking a couple of steps towards the water (while casting) to get some foward momentum.

If you give it enough "umpph" it should sail pretty good...
If its going to low and losing distance or shooting skyhigh and losing distance...try adjusting when you release the line...

BTW>>> Welcome to the site :wtg:
Old 06-23-2005, 03:47 AM

KARNEVIL9

:music1: Welcome back My friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend Come inside, come inside. :wtg:
Emerson Lake and Palmer. or ELP as some of you younger guys never heard of. :hail:

any way. Shockleaders will get you distance, as will new line and a clean reel . Shortening your terminal leader also will help prevent the helicopter effect and use of a bank sinker (aerodynamic) if your not using the shock leader. Practice casting with a worm and then different plugs with different weights. Move to the chunk just above the tail as it stays on well. then loft bigger chunks, and eventially you'll be able to sling eels and bunker heads. Like BB says punch with the top hand and pull in with the lower hand, and then release at one oclock. Its just a matter of practice. None of us will be entering any distance casting competitions. (well maybe Zim)
Keep it simple until you get some experience. Putting it in the right spot is more important than distance. IMO anyway. Enjoy the site :wtg:
A copy of Frank Dainaults striper hot spots may help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2005, 06:11 AM

My kids use 4500's with Tica's. They are spooled with #30 Fireline with #50 Mono shock leaders. They use fish finder rigs and keep the bait on as short a leash as possible. They don't throw a mile but they both catch fish. :wtg:
Old 06-23-2005, 08:26 AM

As BB and Jim have mentioned, technique is key to getting casting distance and accuracy. It's tuff to put into words what the proper technique is. As BB said, put your whole body into it and be fluid/smooth. Next time you see a group of people fishing, pick out the individual that's casting the farthest and study their technique.

Also for consideration is the amount of line you have on your reel or the age of the line. Too little line increases the line abrassion on the spool, limitting cast distance. Also, if your line is kinked from being on the reel for a period of time, those kinks abraid against the rods eyelets. I fish from boats most of the time so before I even start to fish I'll put on one of my heaviest lures and troll fast with a good amount of line out to straighten out the kinks. You can do the same thing on shore by attaching your line to something and walking out 50-60 yards keeping tension on the line for 3-5 minutes. There are sprays (USUALLY SILICONE SLIP AGENTS) that one can use on guides or the spool lip that reduce surface tension and improve casting distance. But I've never used them or feel there's a real need for them unless your after every inch of casting distance.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:46 AM

Thanks for all the input! Reel and line are new, but I'm not using a shock leader, I will give that a shot! Yes, I would think practice, practice, practice, makes perfect.
Again, thanks for the ideas!
This site is fantastic! Keep up the good work!
I know my day is coming!

StriperJim, I'm glad to see you are up on your music! :wtg:
May the Music never stop!
Old 06-23-2005, 12:18 PM

Default re:casting technique

I run reels not ment for casting . a penn 320gti and a penn 320ld. I was told before purchase, both of these reels dont cast very well. In comparison to what my friends run (abu garcia) . I got use to the 320gti although the helicopter thing was a bitch to get over . I figured out that the weight ratio is important . If bait and weight are even it can make a mess out of things. Go to a beach and play with weight combinations.
put on different riggs and see what works best with your gear. You will need to know what does what if your goal is to catch cows. It happens when you have the disadvantage of not being able to see in the dark. when you are in heavy current ditch the fishfinder and set the weight in place around four feet or so. Try using a rubber core in slow or no current the lighter the better, movement can be good .. And cutting the tail fin off the pogie chunk makes casting tails better. It will come with experience.Next time you plan on coming to the canal email me and we'll go pick a fight together.