Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Lake Cumberland

5K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Mepps 
#1 ·
Just got back from Lake Cumberland last night and thought I'd give you guys the fishing report! We fished only Monday night as the weather and a bad case of stomach flu cut this trip short.
From what I heard from about everyone I talked with, Friday night was the night to be out fishing, period. There were numerous 30+ inch stripers caught and many large bass caught on the lake that night. I read on LakeCumberland.com that a 7.5lb largemouth was also caught! Most fish were caught on artificial, casting where shad and fish were busting close to or just off the banks.
That was pretty much it for night fishing, as the weather started shifting over from last night's cold front. Monday night was a very nice night to be out on the lake, clear skies and a full moon so bright you could read the newspaper. But for me, those aren't very good casting conditions. I only had one fish that night and he was only on for about 5-6 seconds. Probably because I had been casting for about 4 hours with not one bite! By that time, I was on "auto pilot" and for a moment was totally shocked that I had a fish on! We did see alot of bait and fish in deeper water, but we pretty much planned on just casting this trip and not bringing all the gear out for this trip. If we'd had brought some shad/shiners maybe we could've caught some that way, but that's fishing! Still a great trip when you can spend about 6 hours out on the lake!
Lake conditions weren't so bad, all things considered. Beaver creek still has alot of water to fish and we even put in at the marina. I think night time casting will improve in about two weeks or so. At least start to be more cosistent as the water temp around 10 feet or so gets warmer.

See less See more
#5 ·
It's been a couple of years since I've been to Cumberland, but I used to plan to be there around the first full moon in May for night time surface fishing. We used to throw the big Redfins and Dogwalkers (looks like an oversize Zara Spook) up close to the bank off the the main lake points and would tear them up. We generally fished from Indian Creek down to Beaver. I've heard guys say that the full moon wasn't as good, but we did better when the moon was out. If it went behind clouds, the fishing seemed to slow down. Top water fishing for stripers is as good as it gets! I may try to get down there this spring.

Skamaniac

#6 ·
I've heard others say that they've done well on a full moon also. So who knows? I've heard guys say that they were fishing a cloudy night w/ a full moon and every time the clouds covered the moon the stripes started busting, but as soon as the clouds went away so did the fish. Interesting stuff for sure. I guess that just goes to show that you should never let the "conditons" deter you from going fishing!

I'm going back down to Cumberland this coming monday, so I'll post another report for those of you who fish the Lake! I'll be night fishing again so we will see how it goes.

#8 ·
What's up guys? I was supposed to go to Cumberland this week, but have delayed the trip until next tuesday, as the weather will be much nicer next week. Oh well, I'm one of those LAST, LAST minute tax people so I needed to get that done anyway. I did hear from my friend down there and he said the night bite has been no good where he's fishing. The shad have stopped for now, but the water temp went down the past two weeks due to a cold spell, Lows at night around 33. After tomorrow the temp is going to stay at around 70's high and 50's low. That should be much better. I hope! I will let you all know what's happening.
Jeff, glad to here you are planning a trip to Cumberland. Hope you and your friends at smack tackle have a great trip. Seeing as how you are coming to Cumberland, there's no way you could possibly have a bad trip!

#9 ·
Thanks Mepps!
I'm headed down Friday night, visit tackle shops Saturday, a client from my day Job has a place down there, might put me up and we'll fish early SAt., work Sat. day, and fish Sat. night, then I'm meeting w/Cumberland Guy to fish Sunday am, then I've been invited to Cordell Hull for early Monday fishing, so it's work and fish, fish and work, man, I love this job! ;)
LMJ

#10 ·
Hope you take some time to eat and sleep. Don't worry about showering though. Fishing is WAY more important then that. When I'm at the lake I try to shower about once, that's enough right?
Good luck on your trip and don't catch all the big ones so I'll have a few to throw to. Night time surface fishing for stripers on the lake is the most exciting way to fish for stripers, period. I hope you catch a 50 pounder at Cordell. The river has them swimming in it even as I type this! Don't forget your camera! We'll swap stories when we get back.

#11 ·
Mepps did you register on Smack today? Thought I got an email announcing your registration.
How is the night bite on Cumberland currently, and which creek arms are best at this time, can you say?
Todd and Scott of Smack are coming down too, we'll be there in force!
LMJ

#12 ·
Yeah, I registered earlier today. Didn't realize there was a board there. Hope to learn and share with you guys about the Gizz 4.
The night bite hasn't been "great" from what I've heard, but that all changes with the water temp. And the water temp seems to be rising from what I've seen on the lake website! I think if I were you guys, I would go out and night fish. That's what I'm going to be doing Tuesday when I go down. If you're not hearing anything(shad flipping or stripers busting) move to a different place. Until the weather settles in, more warmer nights then cooler ones, the night bite will be sporadic. That's what I've learned from my experience with this night fishing. And if the night bite isn't on, you can still fish during the day! But, I'd still give the night time my full attention. You can pull bait/troll for stripes all year long here, but night time surface fishing is like one of those late night info-mercials. "For a limited time only"! Act now!
As far as which creeks to fish, I'm partial to Beaver, because that's where I stay. However, there are other creeks that hold just as many if not more then Beaver. In Beaver, places like Bill Long Hollow or Boy's Camp are great places for night fishing. If you want to go further up into Beaver there's Eades or some call it Ski Bouy hollow this is just before you get to the marina on the left side. If you have a map they should be listed on the map. The last time we went down, we fished closer to the island that is in Beaver and we worked our way back to the marina. There seemed to be alot of people fishing that area also. But, as the month goes on we all know that the fish should move out towards the main lake, so whatever creek you fish, start at about the middle of it and work your way out. If you don't hear shad and the occasional blast of a striper, move somewhere else. Too bad you guys are leaving just when I'm going to be getting there. Oh well, I'll just have to pick up where you guys left off and we can all have some good fishing! Bye the way, you may want to stop in the pro bass shop going into Monticello, my dad has been pimping the Gizz 4 there and I think they have ordered some. Go in and talk with Greg, he's a really nice guy who runs that place. Be carefull though, because like me, he's half Cajun. Don't get him talking about cooking or you may end up gaining a few pounds! Just a thought! Good luck and I hope that you catch many!

#13 ·
Thanks Mepps!
:0
Yeah I've had Greg on the phone, I'll meet him Saturday, between casts! ;)
Todd and Scott took off tonight, I'll catch up with them tomorrow night, they're night fishing, I'm doing Sat. Am, and Sun Am, hopefully I can talk my Sat. ride to go back out Sat. night and stay out for a while.
Todd and Scott are notorious for staying out 2-3 am, I was with them in December, lot's of schoolies, but it was fun, my biggest was 30", trips's biggest was 33" by Scott.
They went down after Christmas, this was the best, 38" I think:

#14 ·
Hey Jeff, check with Scott. I think my dad gave him a little info on one of our buddies that went out and caught two nice ones in about as many casts. He told him the location, but that's probably not as important as the fact that the bite seems to be back on! Looks like you guys are down at a good time. Hope that it stays that way for us!
If you night fish you should stay out until sun up! Going in at 2-3a.m. is WAY to early to quit! LOL! Guess I'm just a night owl though. I've always been one to stay out all night. I've caught fish alot after 3 a.m. and up to sunrise on the surface! Just take a looong nap the day before. But in your case, going, going, going! I can see why you can't stay out all night! You got to many things to do during the day! Not me, though. I just take it easy during the day and fish all night long!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.