help on anchoring - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance Tips and discussion on Boat parts/boat maintenance.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Official Member

Default help on anchoring

I read that some people double anchor for some fish. Would like help on the correct way to do this. Only fished lakes never needed more then one anchor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2006, 07:54 AM
Veteran

Drop your stern anchor and run up and drop your bow anchor then pull your stern anchor tight that way you won,t swing. I don't think you have to worry about that on a lake. You have to leave a lot of rode out What you want to do is make a vee with the two anchors .Once you set them pull it tight, so that you don't swing.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:34 AM

Just to add a little to what CC said....If you need to drop two anchors you're probably in some strong currents.

As such, you need to have at least a 2:1, preferably a 3:1, ratio of anchor line out to the depth that your're anchoring in. So set your best anchor with the most line first. Move the boat directly away (180?) from where you set your first anchor until 4X-6X anchor line is out and drop your 2nd anchor. Pull in 2-3X of your first anchor line while allowing the 2nd anchor line to free-float and cinch your first anchor. Then tighten up your second anchor line and you should be good. Reverse the process for pulling anchor.

If I'm by myself when I need to do this, I set my first anchor up current and drift back until I'm in position to set my 2nd anchor. Then you can just use your anchor lines to pull your boat back for positioning.

Think through the process before you actually attempt it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Veteran

Be careful If you need to drop two anchors. if your in a strong current you could tip the boat over if you get broadside with the waves. The waves will come right over the gunnels and swamp you .I think what you wanted to know is how to do it. If you just want to your bow into the waves without swinging , or less swing,throw out a sea anchor.(bucket or life jacket) off the stern of the boat and that will keep you from swinging.