Drift anchor? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boaters Forum This forum is for boaters both fresh and saltwater. Trolling / Tips / Tactics / Maintenance

Old 08-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Drift anchor?

Anyone ever use one of those things to slow down a drift or does that make the bait presentation unnatural? Sometimes the drift in the mouth of the river where I fish can move at a pritty good clip. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with these. Maybe it would give me more time to fish and less time to drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Drift anchor?

A drift anchor is primarily used to slow a wind blown drift, where your boat is being blown faster than the water you're in is moving. It will not slow your drift if your drift speed is a result of the current you are in. The drift sock/anchor basically helps your drifting boat match the speed and direction of the water you are in.

I use one sometimes from the kayak on windy days, as it is light and easily affected by the wind.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:02 AM

I use one for Fluking on windy days, but like Bait said, it won't help you in fast current.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Striper Hunter

Makes sense. On monday in the mouth of the Merrimac river on the outgoing tide the wind would blow the boat from one side of the jetties almost over to the other side before we drifted out. An anchor to help slow that down may have kept us in the zone I was tring target a little longer. I think I'll keep one tucked away for the next windy day. Thanks guys
Old 09-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Official Member

They are a must for any serious flounder fisherman. Many a windy day I have caught flounder while other boats w/o wind socks have caught the skunk. Speed can be regulated by the length of the rope attached to the sock. The longer the rope, the slower the drift.