Small Lake Wiper Strategy - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > The Wiper Room
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Wiper Room A forum for all you Hybrid and White bass fishermen out there . Wiper aka Hybrid striper / Cherokee Bass / Sunshine bass / Wiper.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Small Lake Wiper Strategy

I am looking to get a discussion going on fishing small lakes with no current that are stocked with wipers. I fish alot a Truman Lake in Missouri below the dam with live shad in the spring, and on the main lake during the summer. There we are fishing structure like humps, road beds, etc. The fishing is always better when they are running water.

I have taken to kayak fishing the smaller lakes around Kansas City that are stocked with wipers. The problem is figuring out how to target areas that will be consistently productive. These lakes largely have no structure and do not have current. I am primarily trolling crank baits and looking for shad on top. I have been using Rapala DT 14s and trolling a three way rig. By and far the DT14s or similar crankbaits prove to be the best option. At times I will troll a wake shad on top, but no luck with that so far. I am fishing the obvious places - depressions, depth drop offs and the mouths of the coves (no sloping points - they just dug a bowl when they made the lakes around here). I have had good success, but it is spotty at times. I was hoping to get a discussion going on other people's experiences and insight. I hope we can get a discussion going. Looking forward to other people's insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 11:38 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Small Lake Wiper Strategy

Hey wipercrazy, great to see another Kansas City guy! I fish for wiper a lot in KC. I get after them with a fly. By far winter time at the power plants is the best fishing of the year with early spring being next. These fish move like crazy and you really have to cover water to find them. This past spring the best pattern I found that stayed true was when i found fish spawning (crappie, catfish, bass or what ever) I found wiper. I think they were just up getting into the fry. most of my fish were all shallow taking small flies. We have a few good lakes around and when the wipers are not to be found we can chase small mouth.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Small Lake Wiper Strategy

Hi Clint. I used to do a lot of fly fishing in North Carolina in the mountains. I have kinda gotten away from it. Curious to know what lakes you fish in KC and particularly where there are lakes in the metro that have Smallies. I have never fished for them. The two lakes I have been fishing in the metro are Shawnee Mission Park Lake and Olathe Lake. I probably caught about 15 8-10 pounders from mid May to Mid June and then it just shut off. I caught the largest wiper that I ever caught at SMPL in mid June, right around 12 lbs. I have been looking for them to start feeding on top, but it has not happened yet. I am afraid that maybe SMPL is in dire need of more stocking because I have yet to catch a wiper under 5lbs, and I would have expected to see the smaller fish feeding pretty aggressively. I think Olathe Lake probably has more wipers in it, but I have been fishing SMPL because it is so much closer to where I live. I haven't live baited them at SMPL yet, but I am itching to do so. Haven't been able to catch any shad from the dock and cannot do it from the Kayak. I will probably drag a big boat out to catch some shad and chase them with live bait. I do see a guy fly fishing at SMPL wading around the south shore. My e-mail is [email protected] if you want to chat more. Lee.