Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

herring limit question

13K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  grampy06 
#1 ·
Can one have ten live ones on board and some that are obviously not from that day (frozen)? I hate having to leave a hot spot to get more bait!!!

#3 ·
Touchy subject . You can only have 10 on you . But guys like me catch 10 a day . Put Em in the bait pen at the dock and only get to fish one day a week . But I have 50 bait .not exactly cause people like dip in my tank . No one is gonna tell me I can't use my legally caught bait. I just bring ten .

#9 ·
It was explained to me this way. Your only suppose to possess ten that tech means if you have five in your freezer you can have five in your boat. Quoted directly from the an officers response to our question. He said obviously were not going to your houses checking your fridge or freezer but were hoping you guys can be honest and police yourselfs. So that means if you have five frozen from yesterday only 5 fresh from today.

#10 ·
Its pretty scary that came from an officer. They don't even know their own laws.
So if I catch ten today and pickle them, I can't catch ten tomorrow unless I ate all ten of the pickled ones. lol.

I get it. Just don't get caught with more than ten at a time.

#12 ·
The regs say nothing about what youre gonna do with them. WTF is the difference what im gonna do with them if they're in my freezer? Its ten a day, not ten in posession. I have several dozen in my freezer because my wife's grandparents DO like to pickle and cream them.

#13 ·
I really dont care what you do with your herring most ppl just get on here to run the mouth not to actually try to find the real regs but if you do read them to answer your wtf does it matter it clearer states and quote river herring caught for bait will count as part of your limit. So your herring for pickling do not. We may all interperet and take gambles how we like but in the end get caught with more then ten weather froze alive or fresh dead you are the one that answers to it.

#15 ·
Keep it clean guys .....the only time you will have problems with Dec is if you have more than 10 on you while you are fishing. That includes what you have in your livewells. If you. Are in your car leaving from fishing and have more then 10 on you. You will get a ticket unless there's someone else with you that can account for the extra herring

#19 ·
You nit pic rules like possesion to fit your needs and thats fine its are nature to interpret differently and you bark at ppl who pretty much say dont be caught with more then ten but you post that you break the rule. Ten daily limit so you get 10. fish til there gone then go get more? Dont come at ppl who mean no harm to you im the kind of guy who give herring to anyone who needs it or if i see shore guys invite them on my boat
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/76525.html and here is where my info came from it seems depending which part of dec website you see. They obviously need t look into the web page better

#21 ·
I didn't mean to bark at anyone.. I just didn't see any exanation for what you're claiming an encon officer believed to be the law. There is no excuse for misinformed LEO.

Please with the pop decline. I do only take ten a day. And look at my season totals for how many 10+fish days I have. The question was mostly hypothetical because I HAVE had such hot days and ID like to be prepared since I have some frozen anyway. If theyre frozen theyre obviously not from today, i dont have a freezer on my littlr boat. Get it?

#20 ·
When the herring go the way of the shad we will have reaped what we have sown. Used to be able to get a shad on every cast. 10 herring for bait in your possession daily. What your have kept to eat don't count. Seems pretty simple to me. There are other ways to catch stripers. Eels. Trolling. Casting plugs. White perch. Night crawlers.

#22 ·
I know what you mean and I wouldn't really have chimed in except for today going to the shore spots I fish and scap I see 20 -30 herring just laying on the shore dead rotting and I don't know about your area but where I go seems last 2 days herring have been scarce. Im not a fan of frozen bait so if I fish I either get bait that day or a day or 2 ahead I get some and keep in fridge. I have never seen so much waste as I have this year. when you could grab all you want I never saw this now bc we have 10 limit which I probably never been out on the river and had a day I needed more then 10 it seems people are more reckless.

#23 ·
Just my two cents. The regulation is clear and I quote "10 per angler,
OR
a maximum boat limit of 50 per day for a group of boat anglers, whichever is lower"

This does not mean you have to take 10, take what you can use. I primarily fish the shore in South Troy, and I am disgusted by all the herring left on the shore. The stripper fishing is going to be tough when we've depleted all the bait.

Fish on.

#26 ·
If u all spent as much time fishin as u do bitching about regs this would b a lot more entertaining, I'm no genius but the herring bag limit is pretty clear, freeze whatever the "f " u want but only have ten on you, now post some pics of fish and quit playin grabass on the net!wtf

#32 ·
Like already stated You can infact bring back frozen or live herring as long as it is from the same body of water. Also the question of if i have frozen herring with me does thag count towards my daily limit of 10, i was curious also. But the answer is yes, frozen herring count towards ur daily limit.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.