What to use? need some advice - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 06-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Fly fishin' geek

Default What to use? need some advice

I just started fishing for stripers last year here in Maine. I started out with a regular little pond fishing rod with some 12 LB test. a big hook, a chunk of Mackerel and after an hour I had a 28 in. striper... I was more hooked than the fish!

well that was luck for you... now I've decided to try fishing off a sandy beach (Old Orchard area in Maine) I have a nice real and good surf rod, 20+ Lb test and a rig with a sinker, and a float that holds the bait like 18 In. up off the bottom. I have been hooking on hunks of Mackerel and my success rate stinks more than my bait.

What is the usual way most of you more experienced folks fish for stripers off a sandy beach?
As a note I think my preference is to bait fish (IE wade out in the water, cast then hang out with my rod in the holder)

I live near a well equiped, good tackle shop, with live bait (mostly eels) so I have options, but the kid working there isn't much for advice. Is fishing with this rig and bait even worth the time? Is 20Lb test strong enough?

All advice will be gobbled up gratefully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2004, 10:25 PM

well i cant help you but my aunt is moving to old orchard beach! ill be doing some fishing up there myself... could also use the advice :D
Old 06-23-2004, 11:17 PM

Sprattoo and kkevvy

nice to see ya. I've never been to Old Orchard but i can tell you a few things from your post above. First with bait: I for one have never had luck with mackeral, but have heard many that like it. I usually fish with herring and it definatly stinks more than the mack does. I usually don't fish with a weight either, just let the herring chunk float out there. 20 Lb. line should be fine, unless you catch a real good sized one.

If I was you i would say to try an ask any fisherman that you may see around what they use for bait or simply find out yourself what will work by trying a few different baits: Squid, Pogies, Herring, Mackeral, Eels and clams all work good in the right area you just need to know what that is around there. Hope it helped

BUB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2004, 11:47 PM
Fly fishin' geek

I have wondered more than a few times if they hunt / feed by scent