keeping eels alive - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:43 PM

Default keeping eels alive

what is the easiest way to keep eels alive for a short peroid (4-6 hrs)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Official Member

Default Re: keeping eels alive

Don't fish'em at nite when the cows are in!!! lol I keep my snakes in a empty folgers coffee container attached to my wader belt. punch some small holes in the bottom and dunk them in the surf once in a while, when not fishing keep them in a cooler and they should last the whole weekend (only if the cows didn't come home the nite before).
Old 04-05-2008, 08:46 PM

For travelling, put one of those blue ice freezer blocks under a towel and put the eels on top of that. the cold will keep them dormant, and alive.
When I'm stalking the surf I like to use one of those mesh laundry bags you can get for a buck at the dollar store. Put the eels in the bag, single overhand loop knot then tie the bag string to your wader belt, while your wading the eels get fresh water and when your walking the water drains out so they don't die in stagnant water.
Never allow eels to sit in inches of water in any container, they will die from the lack of oxygen in a very short time. A moist towel will keep them for quite a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2008, 09:58 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

What I do when I get eels, is get a bag of ice as well. I'll put the eels in. no water, as the ice melts, i'll pour the water off. I find that this slows 'em down as well.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersurf View Post
what is the easiest way to keep eels alive for a short peroid (4-6 hrs)?

Is this for at home or while fishing?Most guys that I know use the 2 five gallon bucket technique,the top (inner)bucket has 3/8" holes drilled through out the bottom put the eels in then lay a cloth or burlap over them and then cover with ice,the holes on the bucket allows the slim to drip through and the eels won't drowned in the own mess.

Other guys will go throuh such lenghts as water in a 5 gallon bucket,ten gallon tote,fishtanks ect....they use a aerator's to refresh the water and some use filters.
Some guys have it made like put the eels in a cage and sink it in a lake ,river,pond now thats the way togo,but It all depend on how far you want to take it.

5/0
Old 04-06-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/0 View Post
Is this for at home or while fishing?Most guys that I know use the 2 five gallon bucket technique,the top (inner)bucket has 3/8" holes drilled through out the bottom put the eels in then lay a cloth or burlap over them and then cover with ice,the holes on the bucket allows the slim to drip through and the eels won't drowned in the own mess.
What he said but I use 2 1/2 gal buckets for smaller amounts of eels, say 5 to 8 small to medium size. If they're kept cool and damp they can survive a very long time like this.
To avoid unpleasant surprises make sure the top fits tight and can't be pushed open.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Cow Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Z View Post
What I do when I get eels, is get a bag of ice as well. I'll put the eels in. no water, as the ice melts, i'll pour the water off. I find that this slows 'em down as well.
What Jimmy says works great for me.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Striper Hunter

This is how I keep eels alive for the summer,I droped a 55 gallon rain barrel in the ground under my deck,there it gets zero sun light.
I gave it a wisper 700 air pump a Aqua clear 802 power head with replaceable mesh filter and a drop light for night time use.

By putting the barrel inground this helps keep it cool during the summer heat waves I can keep 4-5 dozon eels alive with a 70% water change every 2-3 weeks and the water temp holds below 70 degrees even during 3-5 day's of 90+ degree days.
I had a little bit of time on my hands....Yeah my Wife think's IM twisted

Click image for larger version

Name:	Top_shotr.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	5357

Name:	Inside_livewellr.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	5358

[attach]5359[attach]

5/0
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Drop_light.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	5359  
Old 04-08-2008, 08:41 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Thats a nice set up 5/0.. keeping it dark is key..

For short periods of time a cooler filled with ice( drain left open) makes a good home... on top of the ice place a piece of wet burlap( curl up the corners so they dont get under it before they go torpid) dump your eels on the burlap and cover with rock weed, use a misting bottle to wet the eels every 4-6 hours .... when I fished the surf, I kept eels alive for as many as 5 days using this method...

During non-travel fishing I keep the eels under my dock in a drilled olive jar...

when using them they are placed in the "double" bucket I rarely use ice, unless the night is extremly hot....I simply apply the stunner to the eel when I grab it, often times without a rag..

Applying the stunner: no i dont break their neck... grab you eel and hold it gently, often times, a light grip will not alrm them and they wont even struggle, they will just roll around like a serpant in your hand until you get them into posistion, roll the little beast over on it's back and jam your thumb into it's throat..HARD.. done properly the eel will go limp....many here have seen me do it.. it's a neat trick....now hook your bait and toss it into the water to keep it from balling.. because it's gonna be PISSED!

shown in the pictures is my eel keeping and bucket set up, also included is a picture of me applying a stunner to a very LIVE eel... no rag or ice required....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Eel bucket.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	5360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eel keeper.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	5361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eel keeper II.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	5362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eel keeper III.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	5363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eel stunner.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	5364  

Old 04-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Striper Hunter

Thumbs up Re: keeping eels alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post

During non-travel fishing I keep the eels under my dock in a drilled olive jar...

when using them they are placed in the "double" bucket I rarely use ice, unless the night is extremly hot....I simply apply the stunner to the eel when I grab it, often times without a rag..
shown in the pictures is my eel keeping and bucket set up, also included is a picture of me applying a stunner to a very LIVE eel... no rag or ice required....

You are an Animal!I will not even attempt to put an eel on with out a rag.I will and have ruined shirt's.

Very fortunate to having a dock I wish I had one I honestly think having a natural water source fresh/salt is the best environment for keeping eels alive for a longer than normal time span.

I have a couple of rivers and wet lands behind my house but It's a little to far away.Plus with my luck I'll get hit by a Skunk while getting my eels

When IM done fishing I'll drain out any water & slime then put a handfull of bubble weed and leave my ice pack or ice in my soft sided cooler(eel bag),the eels will elevate themselves on the buble weed and have lasted all day while IM at work.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:41 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Da Roc Stunnah! GAME OVER eel!!!

That is a nice setup 5/0. When I had a saltwater aquarium, I would use my smaller "hospital tank" with a little maxi-jet powerhead to hold eels for a night or 2 before a surfcasting outing. I had a tight cover on that lil tank though!

Old 03-21-2010, 12:05 AM