Any Tips for casting in Maine ? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Official Member

Default Any Tips for casting in Maine ?

Hi,I'm new to this site(and striper fishing). Myself and my 3 sons are avid fisherman. We fished Pine Point, Maine and Camp Ellis, Maine last summer. In low tide,high tide,morning,night with no luck. We talked to alot of people and followed thier advice(rod setup,bait and places to cast).We were there the beginning of July and most people said the fish were slow because of the heat and weather. We are returning this year and heading to Wells Beach, Maine for a few weeks the beginning of July. We will be casting from the beaches and jetties ?

Any tips on where or what to do to increase our odds would be greatly appreciated.

Also my kids just love to fish and I dont think they care what they catch as long as it's out of the ocean. Are there any other fish in that area that can be targeted to keep 3 young boys busy while Dad tries to get his first Striper ?
Thanks for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 05:35 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Any Tips for casting in Maine ?

I fish up and around York. I've had desent luck with Swimming plugs. Bombers and poppers.
Not sure the age of your sons. But Clams work well for a Cunner, Pollock and Stripers.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npike View Post
But Clams work well for a Cunner, Pollock and Stripers.Hope this helps.
x2 on the pollock/cunner. I don't know of any area down there but Two Lights State Park in Cape Elizabeth, tiny piece of clam, small hook on a modified high/low rig, you won't be able to keep them off your line, fish just about every cast. I bring my daughter a couple times a year when the beach fishing's slow, great way to wet a line just before and after the season starts just to say ya went fishing. I know thats a ways north of where you'll be staying but if you decide to make the trip let me know and I'll point ya to the rock you wanna be standing on.

As far as stripers go, hmmm, I wonder if I ran into you last year as OOB/Pine Point/Camp Ellis is my stomping grounds from May to October. I run into and talk to a lot of people, hard to remember them all. We catch a ton of fish flaoting worms, I'd say 95% of the time or more thats my go to. We can dig up a few dozen in a half hours time to fish for the night, pretty relaxed/laid back way to fish with the kiddos. I recommend night fishing if possible, even just after dark if the kids are young/not really night dwellers.
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 11:31 PM
First Mate

Pollock cunner X3 and any smaller shiny lure can be good for mackerel.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Official Member

Quote:
I fish up and around York. I've had desent luck with Swimming plugs. Bombers and poppers.
Not sure the age of your sons. But Clams work well for a Cunner, Pollock and Stripers.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info,everything I can get helps
Old 03-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperHyper View Post
x2 on the pollock/cunner. I don't know of any area down there but Two Lights State Park in Cape Elizabeth, tiny piece of clam, small hook on a modified high/low rig, you won't be able to keep them off your line, fish just about every cast. I bring my daughter a couple times a year when the beach fishing's slow, great way to wet a line just before and after the season starts just to say ya went fishing. I know thats a ways north of where you'll be staying but if you decide to make the trip let me know and I'll point ya to the rock you wanna be standing on.

As far as stripers go, hmmm, I wonder if I ran into you last year as OOB/Pine Point/Camp Ellis is my stomping grounds from May to October. I run into and talk to a lot of people, hard to remember them all. We catch a ton of fish flaoting worms, I'd say 95% of the time or more thats my go to. We can dig up a few dozen in a half hours time to fish for the night, pretty relaxed/laid back way to fish with the kiddos. I recommend night fishing if possible, even just after dark if the kids are young/not really night dwellers.
Can you explian your "floating worm rig" ,please ? Are you using sand worms ?
Thanks alot, I might take you up on the Cape Elizabeth spot. We will be heading that way to fish and visit Cabela's
Old 03-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFKiv View Post
Pollock cunner X3 and any smaller shiny lure can be good for mackerel.
Is there a certian tide to fish mackerel ?
Thanks for now
Old 03-27-2013, 10:54 AM
First Mate

I think they'll hit just about any time. They're a schooling ocean fish, so if you get one on, everyone else should get a line in the water near the one being reeled in because there will be a lot of others following it in. With a 'Big Mack' or 'Christmas Tree' (whatever they call 'em these days), you can catch 'em 5 at a time.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:29 PM
First Mate

There was a guy fishing 30 or so feet from me with a sabiki rig. He got 2 mack while I was there. He'd put them on a big bobber and live fish them.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:41 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFKiv View Post
They're a schooling ocean fish, so if you get one on, everyone else should get a line in the water near the one being reeled in because there will be a lot of others following it in. you can catch 'em 5 at a time.
While this certainly CAN be the case I wouldn't say it's the norm (from shore any way) here in Maine. Fishing from a boat makes it MUCH easier to mark large schools of fish and catch them 5 at a time as stated above. Fishing from shore however, the number of places that are both accessible and hold larger schools of fish are fewer and farther between. On a good day, hitting the right time/tide/spot etc, yes, be prepared to fill a bucket in a short amount of time. I'd say the norm you're looking more at catching a couple/few to a small handful in an hour's time. Sometimes you'll be on fish for awhile, other times no sooner do ya catch a few then **poof** they've moved on.

TFKiv I wish I knew a spot closer to where you'll be staying but if you're headed to Cabela's in Scarborough any way, Two Lights isn't much farther. The set up I use is pretty simple, slip a large snap swivel onto your main line (this will be used as a slider) and then tie a large snap swivel to the end of your main line. For my leader I like 30-36" of fluorocarbon (I use 50 lb but u can certainly go lighter), 6/0 circle hook tied to one end, styrafoam float a few inches up from your hook and a small Spro barrel swivel tied on the other end. Open up the snap on the end of yor main line and attach with the barrel swivel on the end of your leader. Attach the appropriate weight (usually 3-4 oz pyramid) to the snap swivel ya slid on your main line and you're good to go. I always float the worms two at a time. First one go in through the head (between the pinchers) and feed onto your hook a couple inches allowing the rest to hang down. Second worm go in through the back an inch or so down from the head and bring the point of the hook out through the head (like you're hanging it on a hanger). When you throw out, the weight will sink to the bottom and the float, depending on how close/far you place it from the hook, will suspend the worms off bottom away from the crabs. The closer your float to the hook the further off bottom you'll be. The further your float is from your hook the closer to bottom you'll be.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:54 PM
First Mate

I fish with nothing but plugs. StriperHyper. You have just added a bit to my fishing exploits. Good Stuff. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Young salt

Quote:
I fish with nothing but plugs. StriperHyper. You have just added a bit to my fishing exploits. Good Stuff. Thanks!
No problem man. Maybe we'll even get to fish together this season if/when you come up or I come down!!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 03:25 PM
First Mate

Sounds like a plan.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Official Member

Thanks guys for all the great info. I will use everything I learn towards getting my kids onto a striper this summer.(or any fish from the ocean). 2 summers ago I hired a charter with no luck,so we have been working slowly at it ourselves. I think we will be onto some fish this summer with all this info.
Thanks for now
P.S Anyone have any experience with fishing the mouth of the inland waterway at Wells beach that goes into the marina(Drakes Island). Was looking at the jetties that go out from there ??
Old 04-06-2013, 01:39 AM
First Mate

I hear good things.... only fished there once last year. Very early in the season after a big rain. Muddied up the water. No luck. Thought it would be a great place to catch any and all of the fish we've mentioned in this thread.

Footing is good maybe 1/3 of the way out the jetty, and then the slabs are just tossed in place. Gaps and not level, use caution.

Town parking lot was patrolled frequently by local PD checking for parking payment.