Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

CT River Sunday

Tags
river sunday
2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  jon006 
#1 ·
Went out and poked around with my friend Kyle and my brother....thought we might find a stray schoolie, however the main river temp was a bit low for them to push up to where we were (37 degrees) The channels were much warmer at 44 so we fished for pike and bass....there were some big crappie around and kyle was able to hook one small pike....soon there should be a push of schoolies into a large cove about 30 minutes south of where we were and that should provide a bit more fun....

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
We were thinking about going there but knowing the water was a bit cold we hit the ct river with the hopes of some larger pike.

#4 ·
Went again Saturday mixed results....Lost the one big pike I hooked at the boat. Caught a ton of large crappie and a huge pickeral....pictures to follow...

#6 ·
There a couple coves in the lower Ct River i've been hitting for almost a month. Fishing has been hit or miss, a few really good days but mostly pretty slow. Now that the water temps are getting more into the 40s the schoolie fishing should be picking up even more...I live in Essex, have you fished anywhere near that area?

#7 ·
I have only fished that area a few times. If I were you I would try and find other coves to check out as the channel I was in had a surface temp ranging between 47-50 degrees, the main river was 43 so it came up 5 degrees from last Sunday. Its still a bit early for the schoolies so I have been targeting other fish....see attached....had a very nice sized pike on but broke him off at the boat as to be expected with 6 pound test and no leader! Between the 3 of us we probably caught 100 over-sized crappie as seen in the picture....

Attachments

#9 ·
Glad you like the picture....thats the largest monster can they have it was all I had handy to reference how damn big that crappie was....I normally don't target those but they were hitting bigger rapala's so I went for em!

#10 ·
thats a nice crappie...i usually dont target those except for ice fishing. it is early for schoolies, but there are quite a few coves on the river they winter in, you can start getting them as soon as the ice is out, you just really need to experiment with different baits and presenations. i usually do well with soft plastic, like a baby slugo or zoom shad in white or bubblegum. a few of the coves i get schoolie bass in early hold some real nice pike as well (up to 40 inches) i regularly fish a few different coves from haddam down to old saybrook this time of year starting late feb/early march.

#11 ·
You are correct there are some huge I mean really huge pike in that river. I have recently figured out where those schoolies are and now I have to get out there to get em! This picture was from last fall and he was the smallest one chasing lures...there were some much larger chasing that day but couldn't get a commit...notice the hand placement lol...I enjoy my fingers!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.