Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Lake Wallenpaupack Pennsylvania

16K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  brokenhook10 
#1 ·
Lake Wallenpaupack Pennsylvania
Map
Web Cam
Wayne County Pa.
5,700-acre reservoir Built in 1927 to generate hydroelectric power, Wallenpaupack is in Northeast Pennsylvania, about 85 miles west of New York City and 95 miles north of Philadelphia. The 13 ½-mile long impoundment is framed by 52 miles of shoreline that includes hundreds of acres of forest lands, trails, campsites and boat slips. Only one public launch ramp operated by the state dnr off of route 560. ~ 1 mile up from route 6. On your left. Small sign is easy to miss. The dam is across from the launch ramp here.
One of the best smallmouth fisheries in the state. Smallmouth up to 5 pounds, walleye up to 15 pounds, and a mix of pure-strain and hybrid striped bass. I think the lake record is 35 pounds.
When the state stocked the stripers, it also planted alewives to sustain them. Striped bass have been stocked since the mid-'80s, pure-strain and hybrid stripers have been stocked here annually on an alternating basis.
The lake discharges through pipes into the Lackawaxen river. No spillway.
The dam is 1,275 feet long and 70 feet high. Water from the lake travels to the PPl power plant through a 3 ½-mile pipeline that is more than 14 feet in diameter.
Generally it is 50 feet deep throughout and about 20 feet closer to shoreline.

More

Click here for elevation levels

See less See more
#4 ·
Bluefin the water is real clear at the pack. Use the lightest line possible.
They go deep in summer but nightfishing is best. A lot of guys use downriggers and live herring. By boat at night, slow-trolling, drifting, herring are good tactics.
If your in water thats 40 feet. They will suspend at 20 and the baitfish will be at 10 feet. Verticle jigging with a 1/2 ounce luhr jenson spoon.
You can freeline the alewives from shore. Or cast the spoons and plugs like Smithwicks -and Storm thundersticks.
The lake is 50 feet and 20 nearer shore.
Watch for stripers flushing baitfish from shallows at night. When you see this, in addition to bait, try medium- and deep-diving crankbaits.

In the fall the DFG dump the leftover fry and finglings not stocked in other impoundments into the pack. This particular week the fish go nuts.
The lake is pretty big and will take you a while to cover even part of it in a small boat.
When i have fished it I usually fish the coves around the launch. Not the easiest place to fish for stripers unless you live across the street.
The bait shop is on route 6 near 560 not far from the launch.

#5 ·
I live in Gouldsboro about 13 miles from the lake and keep my boat slipped on the east side. been fishing the lake for the last 4 summers trying for stripers for the first time this year.the local rumors are that people have been catching them by the dam or long wall not the water outlet lol spent a day there till I found that out. so far for the year I'm at 0 stripers. lot of catfish on the herring and the same old thing with the sm using shad rap and trolling in 10 to 15 feet and bouncing it off the bottom.or the gamakatzu hooks and worms purple or watermelon #4 at night. the lake is very congested by day and I don't even try anymore

#6 ·
Hi Garrett welcome to the board.
I'd be out there with you at night but unfortunately Im kind of laid up. :5387:
That smilie actually resembles me pretty good.
Im about 20 miles as the crow flies near Lords Valley.
Gouldsboro - wasnt that were those kids was killed by lightning on June 14th.

#7 ·
yes it was. I'm about 5 miles south of Newfoundland on 507 just outside of Gouldsboro if your up for some fishing let me know I'm out off work for the next few weeks. was out there last night just getting packed to go now lol going to try the jet divers I just picked up at gander mountain. I have a 24 foot funship slipped over near pine crest and most of the time its just me fishing if my sons don't go so there's lots of room if your up for it nice to meet you neighbor

ps I was out on the lake when the storm pasted and tried to miss it by going over near the dam boy where my wife and dogs pissed when it hit right on us lol I was getting some nasty looks from under the table by all three lol sorry

#8 ·
Hello all......going to wallenpaupack week of aug 10. Will be staying at ledgedal and was wondering if somebody could give me some advise of fishing for stripers from shore. will be albe to drive the entire shoreline so if there are some better spots i can get there. Looking for bait/lure....location....time.... Any advise i can get would be great.....thanks in advance tom

#9 ·
Jim the last time I was there the public ramp was closed after like 6p. I have a small boat and would like to get out there but I would not dream of it during daylight. Afraid I would be swamped. I have caught many walleye through the ice there.

#11 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to area, live in wilkes barre, PA area. I would like to know if anyone fly fish for stripers in Lake Wallenpaupack Pennsylvania, If so can you please give me some directions on where to go and what to use here. I usually use clouser for them and can you fish from the shore for them here? I did alot of fly fishing for stripers in Lake Texoma and caught alot. But this was mainly below the dam on the red river. I read, there are no spillway for this lake? Any help will be appreciated..thanx.

#12 ·
Hi AZn . There is no spillway.
The water gets piped out below the dam down into the Lackawaxen where it joins the Delaware River.
The confluence here of the lackawaxen is also an excellent location for flyfishing access.
I'm told that this location where the water exits is as good a place as any for predators.
Mangun Cove where the PPL launch looks promising for fly fishing as it is a shallow flat that is close to deeper waters. Both sides have nice coves that can be reached from shore and waded.
I dont fly fish so I dont know for certain but if I did thats where I would start.
Sorry I cant be of more help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.