Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Raystown Alewives

10K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Green Horn 
#1 ·
I'll be on my way to Raystown in a few weeks for a weeks worth of night fishing. Can anyone help me with netting alewives? I have my cast net permit and a 42 gal tank, I just have no idea on how to net bait in fresh water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

#5 ·
Alwives are everywhere and easy to get. Yes use lights. I myself use a green light to attract the bait from afar, then when my sonar is full of mash potatoes(bait fish) I turn the green light off and use a spot light to centeralize the bait for easier netting, I was just on the lake and had an easy 4 doz. in about 15 Min.. For Shad, I get them in the daytime, but it is better when you know how to corral them and push them from the weed beds, and site cast on them. Hope this helps you out. What part of SW Pa. u from? My family is from California Pa. but I am pretty familular with the surroundings.
Jim

#6 ·
Thanks for the help Jim! I'm from Meyersdale if you're familiar with Somerset Co. I went to Raystown on a whim 4 years ago and absolutely fell in love with the fishery. I try to make it up there for the walleye opener in may and when things calm down in october and november. In may, my nephews and I got into a good number of walleye and every one was so stuffed with alewives that they were spitting them up on the way to the boat. It will be nice to have live bait to work with when the cranks aren't working. Plus I might actually have a chance to target my 1st striper!!

Thanks again,
Matt

#8 ·
I was on the lake from firday 7/27 to Sunday 7/29. Bait was easy to get as you said, but the Stripers just wasn't biting too well. I stayed in the 10 mile streach from the dam to BB bay. I netted a doz. shad and plenty of Alwives, the only thing i caught was a 5 lakers and 2 cat's, all on Alwives. When you plan your fall trip, send me a PM of when, maybe we can meet up on the lake.
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.