Air brush paint - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Air brush paint

Information on paint for air brush painting. Thank you dave71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Air brush paint

It's this colored liquid that comes in a bottle and you can spray it out of your airbrush

What do you want to know ?
Old 06-11-2009, 05:19 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

By 5 Gallons of pearlized white by createx. I know I seem to use a ton of that.

Seriously though I bought a kit with 32 colors in it on a popular auction site for a fairly reasonable price. Some of the Bottles I have yet to open many I have opened and used. Createx paint flows nicely and the colors mix pretty well too.
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2009, 12:25 PM
First Mate

I think what he may be asking for-but maybe not. One thing for sure is I would like to know what type of airbrush paint do you use or recommend?

Water Base, Acrylic, Oil or Tempera/Gouache

I think if using the acrylic you may need to thin or reduce. Your input would be appreciated, Thank you
Old 07-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Pro Staff

If you buy the acrylic from createx it generally does not need thinning, some others may require slight thinning. Stay away from Tempera Goauche that is good for art work but I don't know how well it would hold up on plugs (maybe someone else has more experience). To me oil based would seem to be more of a PITA.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:49 PM
First Mate

I'm sure I may be able to tell but does the Createx kits come with solid and transparent paints. I guess maybe it depends on the kit you get but maybe not. What brand airbrush do you use, Can you recommend a good/decent one? Say under $100 for brush kit, I have a compressor and reg/sep. I'm borrowing a real cheap one right now and need to get my own. I have narrowed it down to a Badger or Paasche as I think the Iwatas are to costly for me. But to be honest I really have no idea
Old 07-09-2009, 12:17 AM

If you buy the Badger or Paasche you just end up getting a top feed Iwata sooner or later anyway. Pretty much everyone I know who does plugs has had this happen, me included
Old 07-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseystriper View Post
I'm sure I may be able to tell but does the Createx kits come with solid and transparent paints. I guess maybe it depends on the kit you get but maybe not. What brand airbrush do you use, Can you recommend a good/decent one? Say under $100 for brush kit, I have a compressor and reg/sep. I'm borrowing a real cheap one right now and need to get my own. I have narrowed it down to a Badger or Paasche as I think the Iwatas are to costly for me. But to be honest I really have no idea

I bought the Paasche Talon for detail work and I have an old Passche that I use to lay on the belly and clear coats. The cleaning has been an issue with the talon the disassembly and re-assembly is a pita and costs me time. I will wind up with an Iwata next winter I am sure.

As far as the Createx Kits go they come with an assortment of colors and styles from Transparents opaques and pearlized. The pearlized paint is pretty cool.

Do yourself a favor and by an airbrush cleaning kit. Super helpful.

Have fun
Old 10-18-2009, 03:06 AM
First Mate

Well I finally got myself an airbrush. I also got with it a bunch of Createx paints. After going through the paints I realized I did not have a silver. I went out to around 4 or 5 stores and they were all out of silver Createx. I do have 1 or 2 botles of Golden Acrylic Iridecent Pearl, Silver and I think I have a few other colors(bronze,Umbar). The problem is this is the heavy and is like paste. I had read online in some places you can cut with water and others saying to use the medium. Does any one have any input on this? The local shops also do not have the Airbrush Medium. The gun I have says in the manual and the reviews it's good for acrylics-it's a Iwata Eclipse HP-CS.
I'm going to try an check one more store tomorrow as they said they had a larger bottle of Createx Auto color Silver mettalic. If I get a chance I'm also going to swing buy the hobby shop. The other stores I was at were Michaels and AC moore. I saw the Golden at one of those stores and I could not believe it was $9 for a tiny bottle(1 fl oz.)but they did not have the medium. I also checked for some Delta medium and did no see that either any input would be great. I'm also trying to figure out what is the best paints to spray.
Someone I know is getting me a Kustom Shop paint kit, stencils and Templates from Full Blown Customs-Ed Hubbs is the master painter(awesome) but I'm not sure I can use this stuff on plugs(don't see why not) I'm going to call or email Ed and check. Check out his work on You Tube and his supplies at TCPglobal
Old 10-19-2009, 11:09 AM
First Mate

I was worried I my last post was too long.
I have several bottles of Golden Acrylics, this stuff seems thick like a glue. It is not the "Heavy" that comes in the tube. On the bigger bottles it talks about thinning with water, but then also mentions if spraying to also use some Golden Air Brush Medium. The problem is I can't find the air brush medium locally. Can I just thin with water or I can also get some Liquidtex Flo Medium(not really sure what that is for though) and also mix flo medium with water 1/20 ratio
Maybe I will just play with the paints and see how they work.

Scratch this question I figure that some of the bottles were shaken to much and became foamy as a bigger bottle I got is much more liquid
Old 10-19-2009, 01:24 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
If you buy the Badger or Paasche you just end up getting a top feed Iwata sooner or later anyway. Pretty much everyone I know who does plugs has had this happen, me included

UH huh....
Old 10-19-2009, 01:25 PM
First Mate

The Medium I use is made by Liquitex. The link is http://www.liquitex.com/Products/fluidmedairbrush.cfm

I bought it at AC Moore, but I had to search for it. It was not with the airbrush supplies. Think I found it with the oil and acylic artists paints.

Water works well, but I do run into a couple colors that don't seem to want to spray well. They spray better with the Medium.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:32 PM

I use the Liquitex as well, good stuff

I find that my brushes will spit more if I thin with straight water.
And of course they always wait until the last detail is being done to spit drops all over the plug
Old 10-19-2009, 10:22 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
UH huh....
That is why I ended up getting the Iwata, well actually I could not turn it down as I got it from a friend/customer who was moving and is a quadrapledgic who could not work the brush-it's the Eclipse HP-CS. He never even ran any paint through it, it's not the greatest but is fair better then the Badger I tried. I had showed him an Iwata Eclipse HP-G series which is shaped like a gun and he can handle better. I also got about 30+ bottles of paint-most of it was Createx but there was also about 10 or so bottles of Golden Acrylic(their 1oz. bottle sells for like $8-$9 the 4 oz. bottle goes for $20 or $30 I forget) expensive but these paints are awesome color/coverage.(I figure there is well over $200 in paint alone) I dohave to find some GOOD cheaper acrylics than the Golden for the future.

Thank you Rick, I don't think I checked AC Moore for the Liguitex medium only the Golden, I only checked Michaels Arts for both. I will need to thin out the small bottles of acrylics a bit as they are fluid but not the Airbrush Acrylic. I also need to get some eyedroppers to control the amount of paint I'm putting into the brush and so I can remove what I don't use. Rick do you know if they (A.C.) sells a cleaning kit or even just cleaning brushes as Michaels doesn't, they only have cleaner. What's the best cleaner they have, I have a small bottle that came with the gun and a larger bottle of Badger Air-Opaque cleaner which does not cut into the Golden paints very well, it works great on the all the createx paints though. CLEANING SUCKS-but is not as bad as I thought is would be.
Thank you everyone else for your input
Old 10-19-2009, 10:32 PM
First Mate

Between colors, I flush the gun with water. I use a large Folgers or Maxwell House coffee container filled with water. I take the gun and submerse the tip and intake tube into the container of water and spray. After a few seconds, I put my finger over the nozzle, while I'm spraying in the bucket of water. It back flushes the gun. Do that a couple times, spray some more water through it and you're ready for the next color. Only takes about 30 seconds, so it sounds harder than it is. When I'm done painting, I take the gun apart and wash in dish detergent soapy water, and rinse. I have a screen that fits over the drain in my sink for when those small parts fall out of your hands. I do have a set of really small brushes I got with a spray gun years ago. AC Moore doesn't carry them up here. Check on line or a hobby shop.