What Paint? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:03 PM
First Mate

Default What Paint?

These don't have any. These were sealed in Etex... Inside and out.

Column of lighter color starts with Eastern Red Cedar(2.9 oz) on top, then Fence Company Cedar (2 oz)..Maybe someone can identify the type..., Birch(3 oz), and Maple(2.7 oz). The dark column starts with Mangaris(3.9 oz) on top, then Persimmon(4.2oz), Mahogany(2.4 oz), and then Fir(2.7 oz). All have Pikie #2 lips, other than the Mangaris and Persimmon. I used Pikie # 3 for those. These are all going to be fished.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3344 A-1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	9244

Name:	IMGP3345-1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	9245

Name:	IMGP3347-2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	9246
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2009, 10:55 PM
LunkHead

Default Re: What Paint?

They look sweet Rick, I like the natural finish look, I have a few needles like that. Any big change in the way they swim between the different woods?

I took the 3 of that style that I made for a final test swim today at the lake, they sure swim nice.

How did you like the epoxy sealing? It's a little messy to do, but it sure speeds up the process, and toughens up the wood.

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Old 01-04-2009, 12:54 AM
Gary

Look Great! I always want to do some naturals but for some reason
they alway get dipped in the primer before I can stop myself.
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 01:30 AM

Those look really sweet Rick!
The natural look really catches my eye,,, curious to know how they compare to your painted versions with regard to productivity.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:49 AM
Cow Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollymon View Post
Look Great! I always want to do some naturals but for some reason
they alway get dipped in the primer before I can stop myself.
Me too.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:21 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed White View Post
How did you like the epoxy sealing? It's a little messy to do, but it sure speeds up the process, and toughens up the wood.
The epoxy sealing worked well. It was messy, but I'll do it again. I'll be test swimming all as soon as I can get to water that's not frozen. I know they will all swim different. It's the reason I used the bigger lip on the heavier plugs. I don't epoxy my lips in, so I can change them if one style can't be tuned to get where it needs to be.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:34 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner View Post
curious to know how they compare to your painted versions with regard to productivity.
The painted version in the GunnyRunner is the Fence Company Cedar. I think it might be Western White Cedar, but need to ask the question next time I'm down there. Finished, they weight in at about 2.1 to 2.5 oz depending on how good I am at duplication the blank, whether the wood has a couple knots in it, and just variation from blank to blank. I have some of each wood that will be going into paint. I picked the best of the blanks for the clear coat project. Productivity wise, The clear plugs are easier, and quicker with nice grained wood. The clear coat version doesn't require primer, paint, and scales. I sealed with epoxy vs. BLO which took longer to seal, but I was able to top coat the next day. I was also trying to avoid any color variation the BLO might introduce. I know the painted cedar version swims nice. I'm experimenting with various woods, weighting and lip styles to understand the impact of each.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:40 PM

Ski........................ You are absolutely Blowing my mind!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Veteran Elite

Those look like fine decor, man I'd hate to fish those in fear of losing them. Nice look, great job!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:03 AM

Old 10-19-2009, 12:02 PM
First Mate

Those things are awesome or as we wold say up noth wicked awesome. If I can asked, where do you get your lips? I have been using lexan as I'm not sure what ones to order. When you do paint plugs what type of paint do you use? I just started using some acrylics but thought they were to thick. I think they may have been shaken to much and turned a bit foamy as I also got a bigger bottle of same stuff and it's much more fluid. I also thick the bottle needs to be stirred up abit.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:16 PM
First Mate

I buy my lips from New Jersey Tackle. Those plugs were epoxy sealed, and then given a coat of Etex. For painted plugs, I use craft store acrylics cut with Airbrush medium. Cutting with water works, but I found that the medium makes the paint flow slightly better.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:29 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickski View Post
I buy my lips from New Jersey Tackle. Those plugs were epoxy sealed, and then given a coat of Etex. For painted plugs, I use craft store acrylics cut with Airbrush medium. Cutting with water works, but I found that the medium makes the paint flow slightly better.
Do you use or prefer any brand in particular? I have some Golden acrylics but they cost more than I care to spend.($8 or $9 for 1 oz. bottle) The Delta(which I think someone mentioned at one time) is only like $1 to $2 for a 2 oz. bottle(I think anyway) What is a good cleaner for the acrylic paints?

Thank you for everything you have helped me with
You had said the plugs were epoxy sealed then given a coat of etex. What eopxy do you use? I had been sealing with etex, painting then finishing with etex. I do use epoxy for the lips and to seal up the nose, tail, sometimes the swivel/bottom hole, eyes and weights-I have been using the Devcon 30 min. as their 5 min. is only water resistant and the 30 is water proof. I had used the Devcon to do some sealing touch-up a few times, I like it better as it dries much quicker. I would like to find some 5 min that is also water proof and both of them in something bigger then the 25ml syringes I have been using. I do have to say it is great stuff though. I do have a few 4oz/4oz. sets of Loctite brand but they are also only resistant.

I hope you can follow that as I had changed and added a few things a couple times
Old 10-19-2009, 10:35 PM
First Mate

The Delta works fine. Soapy water is a good cleaner.