Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

How tight do I set my baitrunner???

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a question. I usually fish with two poles on the beach. While I am plugging I set up a bunker chunker on a fishfinder rig with a 3 or a 4 oz weight. I have heard many different suggestions on how tight to set my baitrunner. Some say to set it very very loose where others say to set it as tight as I can without it pulling out of my cart which has built in rod holders. Any opionions? Since I am usually a few seconds away from my pole should I also be using a circle hook? I usually use Gamakatsu octopus hooks. Thanks for the input!

#2 ·
With the rear baitrunner drag off - set the front drag to about 1/4 to 1/3 the breaking strength of your line. You'll need a spring scale for precision but you should be able to judge what drag you need by pulling on the line (not to tight not too loose)
Dont cast with the rear drag engaged.
After your cast and the bait and sinker settle engage the rear baitrunner drag. Set it to the point you here it stop clicking and the offering isnt tumbling. Adjust ever so slightly as the current picks up or slows.
If using circle hooks let it pick up and run - count a few mississippis then just start reeling in - you dont have to rear back to set the hook.
You can fish it either way - whatever feels comfortable.
Dont mess with the drag while a fish is on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.