Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

St. Croix Mojo Vs. Lamiglas XS 10 MS

14K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Sudsy 
#1 ·
Was going to grab a 3/4-4oz or 1-4oz Mojo but ended up grabbing the Lamiglas instead which is a 1-3oz rod. I want a rod that I can throw plugs with but also fish eels with. After I got home I immediately had second thoughts. The 2 things that turned me off of the Mojo were the stripper eye being so small and the rod seemed to have a little curve to it towards the tip. The made in mexico part doesn't help either. Should I return it and grab a mojo? Would a 704z pair up with the 3/4-4oz 10' 6" rod ok?

#2 ·
Have a look at this thread. http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=16926&highlight=eels+soft+tip
704Z is very good for either at ~24 oz.
The 11 foot surf and jetty rod is a pretty good plugging and pencil rod because of the soft tip but not so good for eels. You'll find them zinging off your hook during the cast. You need something slower and strong to toss eels without ripping the hook on the cast.
IMO a better eeling setup is a lighter reel and a Lamiglas Ron arra XRA 120 3-2
10' http://www.lamiglas.com/blank_indiv.php?groupid=44 better sensitivity good hookset and backbone.
I use the 9 foot XRA 108 4-2 with a VS 150 because that is what I got. lol

Mojo 5-year warranty - Designed in Park Falls and handcrafted in Fresnillo, Mexico.
I couldnt comment on the mojo I didnt like mine so much so it went for auction.

#3 ·
Thank you. My plan for now is to grab an 11', a little longer than I wanted but I am sure I wont even notice. What do you think about $200 for a brand new 704z in the box? That is a pretty big chunk out of my pocket especially after my rod purchase and with the salt water fishing expo next weekend.

#5 ·
Forget e-bay unless you want to pay top dollar

For $200 you can get a NIB 706z (I just sold one last Sept for that)
You shouldn't have to pay more then $100 for a nib, never spooled 704z
You should be able to find a used but in excellent condition 704 for between $60 and $80
The only thing that might raise the value is it it has the mushroom shaped manual pickup on it. They are becoming very scarce with prices begining to top $40
(also, greenies command higher dollars from collectors)

And I really like the 10'6" Mojo. Because of it's moderate style action it's one of the few rods out there that can fish plugs and jigs, and poppers and pencils equally well - plus it casts like a bomb.

#6 ·
And I really like the 10'6" Mojo. Because of it's moderate style action it's one of the few rods out there that can fish plugs and jigs, and poppers and pencils equally well - plus it casts like a bomb.
Hey Sudsy just saw you're praise of the 10'6" Mojo and as wondering if ya had any experience with the Triumph? Just bought the 10'6" Triumph and it's sitting in my dining room staring at me, waiting to be broken in this season. Gonna pair it up with my Penn 850ssm and use it as my main surf casting application. Anyway just wondered if you were familiar with the rod (it's really light I know that) and had anything good/bad to say about it??

#7 ·
Ended up grabbing the 10'6" Mojo and paired it up with a Penn 650ssm. I used to own a 650ssm and loved it so I figured it would be a good choice. If I don't like the rod I will just have to buy a new one but I think I will be happy with it.

StriperHyper, I used to fish a 9' Triumph and loved it. I think that had a little to do with my reason for sticking with St. Croix.

#8 ·
StriperHyper, I used to fish a 9' Triumph and loved it. I think that had a little to do with my reason for sticking with St. Croix.
:10187:

Nice man I'm really looking forward to it. I was contemplating buying the Mojo but decided (for once) not to go above my means and just went with the Triumph. Grabbed that thing with one hand and my old 11' Okuma rod in the other and MAN, the difference was night/day.

#9 ·
You definitely won't regret the purchase. The only thing I didn't care for about the mojo was it's country of origin. After some thinking though, I don't think a company like St. Croix would put their name on something that is any less than excellent. I have owned and used a lot of their rods, both fresh and salt water and have never had a single complaint. I would have probably bought another triumph but I am too impatient to wait for a store to have one in stock, or even til the expo this weekend for that matter haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.